OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What's in a name? I think it's pretty straightforward in my case; my name is actually Alex, the RG stands for my hyphenated last name, and I live in CT. HuskyNan's is also straightforward. Assuming JS's initials truly are JS, there we would have it in his case. However, not everyone is obvious:

• Icebear- he's neither icy nor a bear. In fact, he's a man of the cloth. Please elaborate.
  • Ocoandasoc- A what and a what now???
  • J66Kicker- can he be relied upon to hit field goals and wear the number 66?
  • Calpedaler- Pedaling what? A bicycle? Contraband? Cals?
These are just some examples. What inspired you to call yourself what you do on a message board, and what does it all mean?

Reaction Score
What's in a name? I think it's pretty straightforward in my case; my name is actually Alex, the RG stands for my hyphenated last name, and I live in CT. HuskyNan's is also straightforward. Assuming JS's initials truly are JS, there we would have it in his case. However, not everyone is obvious:

• Icebear- he's neither icy nor a bear. In fact, he's a man of the cloth. Please elaborate.
These are just some examples. What inspired you to call yourself what you do on a message board, and what does it all mean?
Zakalex is just the combo of the names of my sons...Zack and Alex. I started using it as my ebay name years ago and just continued it here. My real name is Jeanne

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I found the Yard in '98 and spent a week thinking that I could not enter a name that was a moribund spin on Dog or Husky.

So I went with the nickname of my fave player at the time.

Apologies to all who chose to be moribund. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mine is boring. I grew up in Milford. Actually, I never grew up, but I lived in Milford for ages 2-18.

I was born in Bristol, now home of ESPN, the worldwide leader. I could go by WorldwideLeaderHusky, but it sounds pretentious. On the other hand, I'd never be called 3rdbass. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I didn't know that Icebear was in textiles. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kibitzer.

I will rely on the ultimate authority in these (Yiddish or Yinglish) matters, "The Joys of Yiddish," by the incomparable mensch, Leo Rosten.

A Kibitzer is one who:
Kibitzes -- i.e., gives unwanted advice, as at a game (chess, poker, bridge, etc.);
Butts into the affairs of others;
Joshes or teases;
Flatters; or,
Humors one along.​

Kibitzers are generally looked upon (not admirably) as wise guys.

So I took this handle as a bit of self-deprecating humor in the hope that anyone who reads my posts would consider that they came, not from an expert, but from a mere kibitzer.

So enough already!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the time I chose this name, which dates back to when I first went online, I had a male cat as a pet and my name is Tom. Just seemed to fit. The 3s were an almost random way to make the name usable on multiple sites. Apropos of nothing, that old cat died a couple of years ago, but started a tradition in our household. We rescue feral cats and a the moment have four cats of our own and seven cats and six kits that we will place in homes. (Not to mention three dogs.)

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Guess where I went to college? Not UConn, not Stanford (near where I now live, having relocated from the East Coast 11 years ago), but COLgate. Class of 1981. First statistician dedicated to their women's teams when I was there - hence my insane dedication to women's basketball!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Favorite book... A Connecticut Yankee (you know the rest)... But also grew up a NY Yankees fan (during their golden years, not much now, too much money). Now a supporting Huskies fan... Thus CTyankee

JS

Reaction Score
Assuming JS's initials truly are JS, there we would have it in his case.
My initials are really JS. Long ago, in a hurry to make my first post (a retort to a Stanford fan/troll who was lording it over the UConn fans about academics), I lacked the intellect to think of anything more imaginative. Thereby proving his point.

Reaction Score
I live in VA. Lived in the Bronx for 17 year prior to that. Grew up on LI. Perhaps my one and only claim to any fame is that Gregg Popovich was my prep school basketball coach 39 years ago. He was a good guy then, he is a better guy now.

Reaction Score
Since you asked...here is my story of the "Jackalope".

In the summer of 1981, between college graduation and graduate school, I got a job as a counselor on a Teen Tour. This Teen Tour was an 8 week trip, mostly living off of buses and cooking / camping at many of the cities and national parks in the Western US. I had to supervise 8 campers and got a free, all expenses paid trip of the Western US, along with $25 a week for my trouble. I had the time of my life, and it was a great thing to do before facing "reality".

I ended up on a tour which had about 60 15 year old boys and girls. The boys were OK. The girls were somewhat spoiled 15 year olds, which surprised me since this was a camping trip and anything but luxurious. The female counselors had a lot of trouble keeping these girls in line. They complained about everything, and always tried to one-up each other.

One of the activities, a few weeks into the trip, was a 5 mile hike in the Badlands. The kids self-selected in groups of 8 and counselors were assigned to lead each group. One of the female counselors was stuck with 8 of the most annoying girls, and begged me to take her place. She said that the girls might be less of a PITA if they had a male counselor. Counselors were given walkie-talkies (this was way before cell phones) and we all set out on the hike.

One of the girls asked me about the rabbit with horns that she saw displayed in many of the gift shops out west. If you have ever been out west, you must have seen this ubiquitous taxidermy creation. The Jackalope is a stuffed western jack rabbit (either full body or just the head) with an antelope's antlers grafted onto the head. Totally made up, but these girls didn't know that. I told the girls that these Jackalopes are very real and very dangerous! But, not to worry, they were also rare.

About two miles into the hike, the complaining started. "How much more do we have to hike? I'm tired! Can we turn back? What's for dinner? I'm hungry! Isn't Steph (their counselor) a B-tch!" I let this go on for a while and inspiration struck. I squelched the walkie-talkie and pretended to answer it. "What's up? Are you sure? What should we do? That will keep them safe? OK, got it!"

I then told the girls that the park rangers just called and that someone had just seen a small Jackalope herd . The park had issued a warning. What we needed to do was to quickly get back to the park info building. We also had to keep our hands up in the air and stomp our feet. By stomping our feet, we will make enough noise to keep these Jackalopes away. Snakes were also an enemy of Jackalopes. If we kept out hands in the air and waved them, Jackalopes would think they were snakes and that would also help keep them at bay.

I led them back to the info center stomping our feet and waving our hands in the air. We must have looked pretty ridiculous! When we got back to the center, one of the park rangers came over to me and asked why we were stomping and waving. The girls had gone to the bathroom. When I told him what I had done, he started laughing! He laughed so hard tears were coming out of his eyes and he couldn't catch his breath. Soon, it was time for us to leave and someone fetched the girls out of the bathroom. I saw the ranger I had told about the jackalopes still laughing, but now with a group of fellow rangers. They all smiled and waved to us as we left.

For the rest of the summer, the girls would tell people about their jackalope scare and how I saved them. I don't think anyone told them the truth, and so far as I know they went home thinking Jackalopes were real. They also never gave me any more grief for the rest of the summer.

That is how my Jackalope handle came about. My avatar is a picture of Rufus, our very old guinea pig. He is much loved by my two daughters (22 and 20).

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
My favorite superhero is The Flash. My favorite incarnation of The Flash was Wally West, so I chose just a slight twist on that.

More backstory on the Flash for those that are curious: Jay Garick was the first Flash, waaaaay back when in the late 30s. Barry Allen became the Flash in the late 50s and Wally West was Kid Flash. Then, Barry died saving, well, five universes in 1987 and Wally took over as The Flash for 22 or so years. Eventually, Barry Allen was brought back to life because comic books and retook the title of The Flash and Wally was shoved aside for a while.

P.S. Yes, The Flash is faster than Superman. A lot faster.

Reaction Score
Kibitzer.

I will rely on the ultimate authority in these (Yiddish or Yinglish) matters, "The Joys of Yiddish," by the incomparable mensch, Leo Rosten.

A Kibitzer is one who:
Kibitzes -- i.e., gives unwanted advice, as at a game (chess, poker, bridge, etc.);
Butts into the affairs of others;
Joshes or teases;
Flatters; or,
Humors one along.​

Kibitzers are generally looked upon (not admirably) as wise guys.

So I took this handle as a bit of self-deprecating humor in the hope that anyone who reads my posts would consider that they came from a mere kibitzer.

So enough already!
I thought it was a cross between the Kibbles and Bits you feed your huskies. :eek:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Mine is boring. I grew up in Milford. Actually, I never grew up, but I lived in Milford for ages 2-18.

I was born in Bristol, now home of ESPN, the worldwide leader. I could go by WorldwideLeaderHusky, but it sounds pretentious. On the other hand, I'd never be called 3rdbass. :)
I grew up in Milford also, in the area called Naugatuck Gardens. Went to Devon Grammar School. Lived near CT Light & Power, which was on the Housatonic River..

Reaction Score

MIL: :) yourself. :cool:

Reaction Score
Since you asked...here is my story of the "Jackalope".

In the summer of 1981, between college graduation and graduate school, I got a job as a counselor on a Teen Tour. This Teen Tour was an 8 week trip, mostly living off of buses and cooking / camping at many of the cities and national parks in the Western US. I had to supervise 8 campers and got a free, all expenses paid trip of the Western US, along $25 a week for my trouble. I had the time of my life, and it was a great thing to do before facing "reality".

I ended up on a tour which had about 60 15 year old boys and girls. The boys were OK. The girls were somewhat spoiled 15 year olds, which surprised me since this was a camping trip and anything but luxurious. The female counselors had a lot of trouble keeping these girls in line. They complained about everything, and always tried to one-up each other.

One of the activities, a few weeks into the trip, was a 5 mile hike in the Badlands. The kids self-selected in groups of 8 and counselors were assigned to lead each group. One of the female counselors was stuck with 8 of the most annoying girls, and begged me to take her place. She said that the girls might be less of a PIA if they had a male counselor. Counselors were given walkie-talkies (this was way before cell phones) and we all set out on the hike.

One of the girls asked me about the rabbit with horns that she saw displayed in many of the gift shops out west. If you have ever been out west, you must have seen this ubiquitous taxidermy creation. The Jackalope is a stuffed western jack rabbit (either body or head) with an antelope's antlers grafted onto the head. Totally made up, but these girls didn't know that. I told the girls that these Jackalopes are very real and very dangerous! But, not to worry, they were also rare.

About two miles into the hike, the complaining started. How much more do we have to hike? I'm tired! Can we turn back? What's for dinner? I'm hungry! Isn't Steph (their counselor) a B-tch! I let this go on for a while and inspiration struck. I squelched the walkie-talkie and pretended to answer it. "What's up? Are you sure? What should we do? That will keep them safe? OK, got it!"

I then told the girls that the park rangers just called and that someone had just seen a small Jackalope herd . The park had issued a warning. What we needed to do was to quickly get back to the park info building. We also had to keep our hands up in the air and stomp our feet. By stomping our feet, we will make enough noise to keep these Jackalopes away. Snakes were also an enemy of Jackalopes. If we kept out hands in the air and waved them, Jackalopes would think they were snakes and that would also help keep them at bay.

I led them back to the info center stomping our feet and waving our hands in the air. We must have looked pretty ridiculous! When we got back to the center, one of the park rangers came over to me and asked why we were stomping and waving. The girls had gone to the bathroom. When I told him what I had done, he started laughing! He laughed so hard tears were coming out of his eyes and he couldn't catch his breath. Soon, it was time for us to leave and someone fetched the girls out of the bathroom. I saw the ranger I had told about the jackalopes still laughing, but now with a group of fellow rangers. They all smiled and waved to us as we left.

For the rest of the summer, the girls would tell people about their jackalope scare and how I saved them. I don't think anyone told them the truth, and so far as I know they went home thinking Jackalopes were real. They also never gave me any more grief for the rest of the summer.

That is how my Jackalope handle came about. My avatar is a picture of Rufus, our very old guinea pig. He is much loved by my two daughters (22 and 20).

You definitely win the prize. Great story

Reaction Score
I was a proud member of a frat at Middlebury known locally as "Slug." When I played soccer there (under UCONN legend Joe Morrone) I wore uniform #25.

Reaction Score
Obviously mine is a two parter. Being a UConn message board, I figured I would go with something that proudly proclaimed my college sports loyalty. Much to the dismay of my solidly red Cornhusker family members.

Chapette is a little more interesting. Before the Boneyard moved to the new site, I went by UConnChap. Chap was for Chapin, as in Harry Chapin - to this day my favorite singer/storyteller. It sounded better than UConnChapin. Problem was, most posters in the anonymity of cyberspace assumed I was literally a "chap". Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Depending on the board I was posting on, that handle carried a little more cred. Some posters on "another board" seem to believe women are unqualified to voice an opinion on football Anyway, when the new site went up and I had a chance to change my handle, I feminized it to UConnChapette. Though there is little that is "ette-ish" about me. Not to say that I don't have a fetish....but that is another story for another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom