Nova, St. John's, Georgetown...all gone | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nova, St. John's, Georgetown...all gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ummm. No. You bought the name.

If I buy a Super Bowl ring at a pawn shop, it doesn't make me a super bowl winner.

We retained the rights to the name. Huge difference. Obviously the greatest Bball conference ever created is history. Howver, YOU chose to leave. Get over it. You thought you could do better. Maybe you did. Time will tell.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We retained the rights to the name. Huge difference. Obviously the greatest Bball conference ever created is history. Howver, YOU chose to leave. Get over it. You thought you could do better. Maybe you did. Time will tell.

congrats on your win over Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Technically it is still the Big East. Is it watered down? Of course it is. No conference is better off losing SU, UCONN, PITT, Louisville etc., but the Big East will live on, and the remaining members (Plus the new members) are just glad that there are no more members who desperately want out.
Right, technically it is. That's why they paid us the money, so it's legal for the conference leadership and marketers and commentators to go on TV and pretend it's the same Big East. That's smart of them and I don't blame them at all. But it's weird and embarrassing for fans of the teams (such as Providence) to pretend like their success has to do with something they did, instead of the fact that all the good teams left. They made the final without beating a NCAA tournament team. The team they beat in the semi may not make the NIT.

The teams in that conference now are responsible for 1 championship out of the last 10 Big East tournaments. 2 of the last 15. 4 of the last 20. Over the last 18 Big East tournaments, Boston College University has as many championships as all the current Big East teams COMBINED. And they left the conference in 2005.

Reaction Score
It's weird that you don't even know the basic facts of how things went down. You left.

caw

Reaction Score
Technically, we never left. The C7 did.

And the winner is not Sean. Shocked he gets facts wrong yet again.

Reaction Score

1) You did not retain the rights to the name. We "sold" it to you. Essentially, the name was traded for the Catholic schools shares of exit fees from the schools that left for other conferences, and the entry fees of the new members (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/s...-to-breakaway-catholic-universities.html?_r=0). This is not in dispute.

2) We did not choose to leave. The C7 schools decided to leave and form their own conference (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9031167/catholic-7-leaving-big-east-june-30). Again, this is not in dispute.

Reaction Score

YOU chose to leave and we will do better. I don't wish bad things for the C7 but you will never be the BE to me. I cringe every time I hear you all called the BE.

Reaction Score
YOU chose to leave and we will do better. I don't wish bad things for the C7 but you will never be the BE to me. I cringe every time I hear you all called the BE.

16 of the last 18 BET champions play in other conferences.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One fact is that is was not the seamless succession for a conference with most members remaining (as Sean claimed).

Another is that it is nor more the Big East today than the Southern Conference is the conference that housed the bulk of what today is the SEC along with most original ACC members. Granted, the chronologic proximity is far different (not quite ten months vs 60-85 years depending on which departures are viewed as most prominent) but the fall in quality of product is quite similar.

Reaction Score
UConn chose to leave because of football. No, UConn isn't Alabama (in football...Alabama isn't UConn in everything else) but football is the straw that stirs the collegiate scene today.
It's very possible that schools without a football program in a top conference will eventually see their hoop programs demoted to the equivalent of 1-AA in football.
Hopefully, for UConn, we will get into a bigger time conference somewhere down the road. Without football, we would have no chance grtting into a big conference, and our hoop program would fall into a D-1AA type program.

Reaction Score

And yet, you still come over here. Hate??? PC's board invented that!!! Unfounded predictions??? Most PC fans have been telling UConn fans that they are passing us out for NE supremecy. They have been doing that since Welsh was coach!!!
Cooley is going to do "special" things at PC!!! Not yet, and you guys overuse the word "special".

Reaction Score

what a croc ....

This is why the NY Times are tracking Syracuse and Calhoun today. You can say it 100 times ...

In fact, you are now the white haired idiot - Dragon King - on the "Game of Thrones" talking about the return of your kingdom. You know = back to Ernie D days.

Reaction Score
And yet, you still come over here. Hate??? PC's board invented that!!! Unfounded predictions??? Most PC fans have been telling UConn fans that they are passing us out for NE supremecy. They have been doing that since Welsh was coach!!!
Cooley is going to do "special" things at PC!!! Not yet, and you guys overuse the word "special".
Hey now, Providence has beaten 4 ranked teams in Ed Cooley's tenure. They can't help but get excited. (Ollie has beaten 6 this year alone)

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious considering the BET is outdrawing the AAC tournament in hicksville. 15,580 last night for our semfinal vs 11,888 for yours. Choke on those FACTS. Enjoy your inferior league, especially once Louisville takes off.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
congrats on your win over Seton Hall.

The best part is its passive-aggressive under the guise of fact.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious considering the BET is outdrawing the AAC tournament in hicksville. 15,580 last night for our semfinal vs 11,888 for yours. Choke on those FACTS. Enjoy your inferior league, especially once Louisville takes off.
16k is impressive for a first year conference tournament with mostly average teams. Good job!

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
you sold 16k tickets for the game (we know how ticket packages for the BET work, remember we filled the place for 20 years), there were prob 7k people there for the night cap. For a Big East semi at the Garden!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom