Nova, St. John's, Georgetown...all gone | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nova, St. John's, Georgetown...all gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or in Memphis. Or in Greensboro.

The "Van Halen Conference" (so named, of course, because this version of the "Big East" is as much the Big East as "Van Halen" was Van Halen in the Sammy Hagar years) is a glorified Mid-Major.

I was always a big David Lee Roth fan. Hopefully, UConn isn't the DLR of the BE, a team that does very little well when it's not playing with other talented people.

Reaction Score
They really need to dial down the bull$hit on ESPN acting like this Big East is even on the same planet as the old one.

I just read an article saying that PC got to their first BET semifinal game in 17 years, and they don't mention at all why that might be the case.

Doug McDermott broke the all-time BET record for points in a half!!!

& other crazy stats...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hoping Creighton just destroys everyone for years to come

That definitely will happen once the NCAA grants Doug McDermott another 8 years of eligibility.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I was always a big David Lee Roth fan. Hopefully, UConn isn't the DLR of the BE, a team that does very little well when it's not playing with other talented people.

Yeah, hoping we wind up more like Dave Groehl (sp?) or Chris Cornell and have major success with two different projects.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am not your rolling wheels. I am the highway.
Yeah, hoping we wind up more like Dave Groehl (sp?) or Chris Cornell and have major success with two different projects.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sad? We have Houston playing in our semis and it's not 1983. They play in front of 1500 for their home games. There are un ranked women's basketball teams that could average what Houston averaged this year.

I'm not a big Big East defender but we our casting a heckuva a lot of stones at them when the AAC is going to be losing a lot of cred when Louisville heads off for greener pastures.

Yes, but we're talking about a conference that is pretending to still have the weight and power of the greatest college basketball conference in the history of the game.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this tidbit was posted about Villanova yet...

In Villanova’s only three games against ranked teams since December 1, the Wildcats went 0-3 and lost by an average margin of 21.7 points. Nothing else needs to be said.

Can't believe that:

A) They're still in consideration for 1-seed.
B) They won the BE regular season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have erased that game from my memory! I should have said "last BET win" .

West Virginia, 2012. I sat front row. OT. It was great.

Reaction Score
packed house in the Garden. What a game. Loving these match ups. I think the catholic schools will rise from the ashes. crazyyyy

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The "Van Halen Conference" (so named, of course, because this version of the "Big East" is as much the Big East as "Van Halen" was Van Halen in the Sammy Hagar years) is a glorified Mid-Major.

I see the current BE as more like the Temptations when they only had a couple background singers and a few new bodies trying to imitate Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffing and Paul Wilson.

Reaction Score
I see the current BE as more like the Temptations when they only had a couple background singers and a few new bodies trying to imitate Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffing and Paul Wilson.
call it what you want. But the house is packed. Go tune in to ESPN and see if Syracuse vs NCst packed the house. People have to get over this. Its been a bad divorce. But the big East will survive and it will thrive. They will coexist with the other conferences even when the ACC decides to come to NYC. Too much history, too much tradition to kill in one year. I don't hate them, I like them. I want the Northeast to remain a power in college ball, I would hate if it goes the football route in which all of ours teams SUCK.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm sure the bigwigs at both the Garden and Fox Sports (or whatever the hell they call the network that televises their games, Waldo was easier to find) are thrilled with a Creighton-Xavier headliner on Friday night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure the bigwigs at both the Garden and Fox Sports (or whatever the hell they call the network that televises their games, Waldo was easier to find) are thrilled with a Creighton-Xavier headliner on Friday night.
Honestly, I am pretty sure they are quite happy to have Doug McDermott to fawn all over. You know how these networks love to have 'Name' players on the TV. I am sure they want Creighton in the finals so they can contrast the single star player (Creighton) vs the scrappy overachievers (Providence)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Honestly, I am pretty sure they are quite happy to have Doug McDermott to fawn all over. You know how these networks love to have 'Name' players on the TV. I am sure they want Creighton in the finals so they can contrast the single star player (Creighton) vs the scrappy overachievers (Providence)

I think the MWC is way, way more compelling

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I'm pretty confident that those in charge of MSG and their counterparts at Fox couldn't pick McDermott out of a lineup and could care less about a school that hasn't accomplished a damned thing in recent memory (how exactly is that overachieving?). More important to them however is that their target audience couldn't find Creighton's home on a map, likely have no clue that they are in the Big East and don't know that PC still plays men's hoops. This is a marketer's nightmare.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident that those in charge of MSG and their counterparts at Fox couldn't pick McDermott out of a lineup and could care less about a school that hasn't accomplished a damned thing in recent memory (how exactly is that overachieving?). More important to them however is that their target audience couldn't find Creighton's home on a map, likely have no clue that they are in the Big East and don't know that PC still plays men's hoops. This is a marketer's nightmare.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that Fox hates having a potential National Player of the Year dropping 32-45 points a game every night in the tourney. What a nightmare.

PS. Nice win last night against Cincinnati. That was pretty impressive.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am pretty sure that Fox hates having a potential National Player of the Year dropping 32-45 points a game every night in the tourney. What a nightmare.

PS. Nice win last night against Cincinnati. That was pretty impressive.

Creighton VS. PC is really more like a bad year in the A-10 than the BE.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Wouldn't that be the 'Van Hagar' Conference? 'Cause before the Hagar years Van Halen was still Van Halen...

Reaction Score
Glass houses fellas; going forward you aren't exactly murderers row either...

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
packed house in the Garden. What a game. Loving these match ups. I think the catholic schools will rise from the ashes. crazyyyy

packed house??!! If they'd turn the lights on, you could see the place is half empty.

Reaction Score
Glass houses fellas; going forward you aren't exactly murderers row either...
But we're not pretending we're in the same great conference we used to be. You guys talk about the conference you're in now as if it's the same conference you were in last year. It's a totally new conference, you just bought the name of a different now defunct conference and are using it for marketing purposes. This isn't your first Big East tournament final since whatever year, you are in the final of a conference tournament that is being played for the first time this year.

Reaction Score
But we're not pretending we're in the same great conference we used to be. You guys talk about the conference you're in now as if it's the same conference you were in last year. It's a totally new conference, you just bought the name of a different now defunct conference and are using it for marketing purposes. This isn't your first Big East tournament final since whatever year, you are in the final of a conference tournament that is being played for the first time this year.
Technically it is still the Big East. Is it watered down? Of course it is. No conference is better off losing SU, UCONN, PITT, Louisville etc., but the Big East will live on, and the remaining members (Plus the new members) are just glad that there are no more members who desperately want out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom