Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not totally impossible Ice
They were a little better (at times) last season in that regard.

Reaction Score
One way this could be read is that considering how many times the Lady Vols have been burned by her, they aren't going to waste any time recruiting her. But if KD and her family call and ask to come that could be different. This could just mean the LV's aren't going to go out of their way to convince her.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
One way this could be read is that considering how many times the Lady Vols have been burned by her, they aren't going to waste any time recruiting her. But if KD and her family call and ask to come that could be different. This could just mean the LV's aren't going to go out of their way to convince her.

Tennessee is not, and will not, engage with Kaela or her family. That ship has sailed. Kaela had two chances to come to Tennessee, and Tennessee was burned twice.

The only way Kaela plays at Tennessee is if her future team plays in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is not, and will not, engage with Kaela or her family. That ship has sailed. Kaela had two chances to come to Tennessee, and Tennessee was burned twice.

The only way Kaela plays at Tennessee is if her future team plays in Knoxville.

Maybe you are right but I worked with lawyers' and their clever use of wording. Saying you aren't recruiting a player doesn't mean you wouldn't sign her under any circumstances. The announcement only said they won't recruit her, not that they wouldn't give her a scholarship if she asked for it. Is it true that Tenn boosters have been in contact with her mother? Right now Davis is still enrolled at GT and any contact with her would be tampering.

And maybe Holly is just waiting for an apology? Ships have been known to return to port. :rolleyes:

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Maybe you are right but I worked with lawyers' and their clever use of wording. Saying you aren't recruiting a player doesn't mean you wouldn't sign her under any circumstances. The announcement only said they won't recruit her, not that they wouldn't give her a scholarship if she asked for it. Is it true that Tenn boosters have been in contact with her mother? Right now Davis is still enrolled at GT and any contact with her would be tampering.

And maybe Holly is just waiting for an apology? Ships have been known to return to port. :rolleyes:

That is what I'm saying. Tennessee is not, and will not, sign Davis.

Her transfer papers would have to have been approved before the announcement she was leaving. She is free to contact schools.

Kendra Davis is the one who initiated contact with Tennessee fans (who I would hardly consider boosters, many of which I doubt have ever donated a penny to Tennessee, other than attending athletic events) posting on Twitter, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
While I would have loved to see Kaela at UT because I think she's a great kid with tremendous talent and a history of love for our program, I do have to love Holly having the gumption to say no to recruiting a kid with that talent. After the way we've been burned by her and her family, it's nice to see that Holly isn't just going to take it and let them dictate all the terms. I really feel that if Holly would take her, she would be at Tennessee next season. It seems that she likely transferred thinking that Tennessee would just take her, so now I hope she gets to go to a great school with a great coach to complete her eligibility. My money would be on South Carolina or Maryland at this point.

While I really like Kaela, she had her chance to be a Lady Vol and blew it. There will certainly be some irony when Diamond is the NPOY at some point during her career and when the Lady Vols win a National Championship. There is a part of me that would love her to go to South Carolina to watch her and Diamond square off for two seasons in the SEC.

Reaction Score
That is what I'm saying. Tennessee is not, and will not, sign Davis.

Her transfer papers would have to have been approved before the announcement she was leaving. She is free to contact schools.

Kendra Davis is the one who initiated contact with Tennessee fans (who I would hardly consider boosters, many of which I doubt have ever donated a penny to Tennessee, other than attending athletic events) posting on Twitter, not the other way around.
Perhaaps Kaela contacted Tennessee and said she would not consider transferring to Tennessee, so don't bother trying to recruit me. Tennessee then announced that Kaela would not be recruited.

Reaction Score

Good one!!

Reaction Score
While I really like Kaela, she had her chance to be a Lady Vol and blew it. There will certainly be some irony when Diamond is the NPOY at some point during her career and when the Lady Vols win a National Championship. There is a part of me that would love her to go to South Carolina to watch her and Diamond square off for two seasons in the SEC.
GOOD one!!!!

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Sorry, never saw it when I watched.

ND game (even in a loss) there were some stretches we played team ball well. First SC game, aTm game, second half of KY game after Izzy went down...just to name a few.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ND game (even in a loss) there were some stretches we played team ball well. First SC game, aTm game, second half of KY game after Izzy went down...just to name a few.

Your objectivity is admirable and I, for one, hope you continue to contribute your insightful posts.

Reaction Score

I thought the LV's played unselfish team ball last season. I rooted against them for obvious reasons but I had to admire their defensive cohesiveness. On offense they obviously were looking to get the ball to Harrison but there was more passing to the open shooter than I've seen in years. The cohesiveness really showed on defense, which was what got them to the E8. You don't succeed with a trapping and pressing game unless everyone knows where they are supposed to be and has confidence that their team mates are also in position. The success they had was due in large part to the 4 years that the seniors played together (add in the 3 years they played with Graves). This is the thing that is being ignored by many LV fans as they salivate at the the DeShields/Russell debut. Talent doesn't replace experience when it comes to defense. Tenn will score more next season but I am confident they will also give up more points.

Reaction Score
I don't remember which interview it was, but not long ago Geno talked about how critically important the parents were in the recruiting process. That he wouldn't recruit a super player if he had reservations or misgivings about her parents' involvement. And I thought to myself, no way coach, you wouldn't really pass on a top kid just because mom or dad were meshuga. But after reading about the wacky antics of Kaela Davis' mother and others, the wisdom of the Geno is apparent.

Last edited:

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I thought the LV's played unselfish team ball last season. I rooted against them for obvious reasons but I had to admire their defensive cohesiveness. On offense they obviously were looking to get the ball to Harrison but there was more passing to the open shooter than I've seen in years. The cohesiveness really showed on defense, which was what got them to the E8. You don't succeed with a trapping and pressing game unless everyone knows where they are supposed to be and has confidence that their team mates are also in position. The success they had was due in large part to the 4 years that the seniors played together (add in the 3 years they played with Graves). This is the thing that is being ignored by many LV fans as they salivate at the the DeShields/Russell debut. Talent doesn't replace experience when it comes to defense. Tenn will score more next season but I am confident they will also give up more points.

Thanks for seeing the small improvements we made last year. I agree it will be tough. Having Mercedes and DD coming in will test the unity for sure. But y'all have to remember, DD and Mercedes have both been practicing with the team almost the whole season last year. And Mercedes played the whole year her freshman year, albeit hurt. So it's not like they're both coming in completely new. Now I know that's not the 3 or 4 years that the Seniors had, but I think the inconsistency of the Seniors is what hurt us in a lot of games last year, especially on offense but even on defense. Hardly anyone would say AMass was stellar on defense and Burdick, while steady, was slow on defense in most situations. So, it's a wait and see. Y'all know that Holly will have a fit if they ain't in "the stance." :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Margo love you passion for all things Lady Vols but... You can't claim to The Premier Program and in the next minute you say you are down 2 Championships. Where would Keala Davis have acquired a"championship pedigree"?

Reaction Score
Good find. She's very entertaining. Who's going to break the news to her that Davis doesn't want to play for the orange ?
And that Cooper didn't make the U 19 squad, despite Kara Lawson being on the committee that chose the players.

Reaction Score
Good find. She's very entertaining. Who's going to break the news to her that Davis doesn't want to play for the orange ?
And that Cooper didn't make the U 19 squad, despite Kara Lawson being on the committee that chose the players.

After watching all of the highlight video from the trials, it's not as if one can't say that Cooper is a premier guard. She made great passes, scored one-on-one with a plethora of moves and made big defensive plays. She may have just not been the right fit for that team and personnel in the eyes of the committee. Additionally, Lawson isn't the only person on the committee. She could have very well lobbied for Cooper to be on.

Reaction Score
I have enormous respect for Kara Lawson, both personally and professionally. I don't know if Kara voted for Cooper or not, but I am certain that regardless, that decision had nothing to do with Kara's Tennessee legacy and everything to do with the best interests of USA Basketball. [Holly's ridiculous "Cooper was the best guard there" comment notwithstanding]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak