Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech | The Boneyard

Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She was not getting any exposure. GT was not recruiting well enough to build a team around her, and she clearly wasn't getting developed at a high level as exhibited by her not making a USA Team. The best thing for her would be to come to Tennessee. That was her dream school her entire childhood. She would get exposure at the level she deserves, and it would bring her closure, hopefully, to be at the school she'd always dreamed of. Additionally, she has great friendships with Carter, Tucker, Russell, and others.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, the issue at GT can not be lack of scoring opportunities. She took about 30% of her team's shots (a full 290 more than her nearest teammate) and 36% of her team's 3-pointers despite making only 29% of them. Davis took more 3s per game than Kaleena. Maybe it's her coaches' and teammates' fault that she missed more than 6 of 10 shots and 7 of 10 three-pointers.

Somehow I doubt sharing the ball and spotlight with Diamond Deshields is what Kaela and her family have in mind. South Carolina?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn ladies.jpg

Here's a breakdown of shot taking at UConn. There were a total of 2,513 shots taken during the season in 39 games.

Stewie took 19.5%
Tuck took 15.9%
KML took 15.8%
MoJeff took 13.1%
Kia Nurse took 11.3%
Gabby took 8.5%
Saniya took 6.6%
Kiah Stokes took 5.1%

In order to take 30% of UConn's shots, a player would have had to jack up 264 more shots than Stewie. :eek:
I think UConnCat identified the issue....;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, the issue at GT can not be lack of scoring opportunities. She took about 30% of her team's shots (a full 290 more than her nearest teammate) and 36% of her team's 3-pointers despite making only 29% of them. Davis took more 3s per game than Kaleena. Maybe it's her coaches' and teammates' fault that she missed more than 6 of 10 shots and 7 of 10 three-pointers.

Somehow I doubt sharing the ball and spotlight with Diamond Deshields is what Kaela and her family have in mind. South Carolina?

Maybe she has matured enough to value getting a National Championship over getting 20+ a game. And yes, Tennessee would be more talented than anybody in 2016-17 with her to challenge for a title. She scored plenty at GT; I don't think she's leaving because her talents weren't being used, but rather because there was no other talent on the team and she wants to win.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Actually, having more talented teammates can equate to better shooting percentages. With more talent around her, she would see less double teams and that would lead to getting better shot opportunities and not continuously getting stuck with the ball in her hands and left to create her own offense. As a freshman with better teammates, you will notice her shooting % was better and her playing time was less. During her sophomore season, I'm sure playing 34 mins. per game lead to additional fatigue that builds up over the course of a season, wearing her body down, and leading to a poor efficiency when on the court, which was basically all the time.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking South Carolina would be a nice fit. She'll be a good get for them to replace Tiffany Mitchell. I don't see her transferring to Tenn, Diamond beat her to the punch. Both ladies should have just came to good ole Rocky Top in the first place along with Mercedes that year!

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
View attachment 9562

Here's a breakdown of shot taking at UConn. There were a total of 2,513 shots taken during the season in 39 games.

Stewie took 19.5%
Tuck took 15.9%
KML took 15.8%
MoJeff took 13.1%
Kia Nurse took 11.3%
Gabby took 8.5%
Saniya took 6.6%
Kiah Stokes took 5.1%

In order to take 30% of UConn's shots, a player would have had to jack up 264 more shots than Stewie. :eek:
I think UConnCat identified the issue....;)

And Stewie has enough talent around her that she does not need to carry the team on a nightly basis. Dayton was a game where I can recall that she needed to take the game over because most of her teammates were not coming through. Stewart and KML both took 26% of the shots. That's 52% of the shots taken by just 2 players that were coincidentally the best 2 players on the team. Tuck took 22% of the shots. That's 3 players accounting for 78% of the offensive shots.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Disagree, the Lady Vols are now Diamond's team. The only exposure Kaela will get is from the Lady Vol fans. She won't be recognized as a great player if she follows Diamond to the Lady Vols. However, with that said if she believes she'll be happy at Tenn, that's where she should go.

Kentucky might be a good place to end up as Mitchell heavily relies on guard play and she would get individual recognition as well as being on a team that competes for SEC Championships and Tournament recognition. Obviously don't know if she would be happy there. Then lets not forget Georgia with their new coach.

She was not getting any exposure. GT was not recruiting well enough to build a team around her, and she clearly wasn't getting developed at a high level as exhibited by her not making a USA Team. The best thing for her would be to come to Tennessee. That was her dream school her entire childhood. She would get exposure at the level she deserves, and it would bring her closure, hopefully, to be at the school she'd always dreamed of. Additionally, she has great friendships with Carter, Tucker, Russell, and others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if she ends up at Tenn now even if that's where her heart was in a perfect world but who knows. She had really fallen off the map and indeed wasn't getting exposure at GT. Recently failed to make the USA team for WUG/Pan Ams. Maybe the new coach at UGA has a shot. South Carolina could really use a guard to replace Mitchell after next year as they've loaded up on bigs but not perimeter players. Maybe Baylor will be in the mix? I have a feeling she "transfers up" as being the big fish in a small pond didn't seem to work out at GT.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking South Carolina would be a nice fit. She'll be a good get for them to replace Tiffany Mitchell. I don't see her transferring to Tenn, Diamond beat her to the punch. Both ladies should have just came to good ole Rocky Top in the first place along with Mercedes that year!

I doubt she goes to any SEC School but Tenn or Georgia. Could end up at ND, but my gut tells me she's coming to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I hope Davis goes to TN as it was her dream school. If it happens, it will be fascinating to watch the dynamics between her and DD during games.

Reaction Score
One thing to note is that Diamond could end up going pro early, after the year that Kaela sits out. If the two played together though, and had ended their earlier squabbles, it could end up being something really special.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
One thing to note is that Diamond could end up going pro early, after the year that Kaela sits out. If the two played together though, and had ended their earlier squabbles, it could end up being something really special.

Daimond will not go pro early. I have no idea why this continues to be said.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I hope Davis goes to TN as it was her dream school. If it happens, it will be fascinating to watch the dynamics between her and DD during games.

When she originally decommitted from TN, it was believed that ND was very much in the mix.

Reaction Score
Daimond will not go pro early. I have no idea why this continues to be said.

Because with summer school, and her redshirt year, she could easily end up graduating earlier and want to go ahead and leave for the WNBA. Of course, I'd love for her to have 3 seasons in orange, but it's a possibility.

Reaction Score
="VolFan, post: 1328928, member: 3778"]I doubt she goes to any SEC School but Tenn or Georgia. Could end up at ND, but my gut tells me she's coming to Tennessee.
Well i hope your gut is wrong. Lol I'll take a healthy Jannah Tucker over Davis at this point and I've never even seen Jannah play a lick of college ball.

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Because with summer school, and her redshirt year, she could easily end up graduating earlier and want to go ahead and leave for the WNBA. Of course, I'd love for her to have 3 seasons in orange, but it's a possibility.

Possibility, yes, but one that she has no interest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom