Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this the same Kaela Davis that battles Meniere's disease? If so, I recall reading that she had lost 90% hearing in her left ear and that her father was very concerned about her other ear. Meniere's can also cause migraines and vertigo, which would definitely make playing at an elite level a huge challenge.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Daimond will not go pro early. I have no idea why this continues to be said.

Like i said in a thread awhile back... If Deshields stays 3 years....... the 2018 WNBA draft will be the most talented ever.

Reaction Score
One factor that may apply to both KD & DD's transfers is that both were playing to near empty arenas. From my limited view of both players they appear to relish media attention. Neither was getting the love they crave at GT & UNC, where wbb just doesn't get much respect. The GT biggest crowd was 2300, vs Notre Dame but most of their games were played in front of less than 1000. Same thing for DD during her freshman year.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She was not getting any exposure. GT was not recruiting well enough to build a team around her, and she clearly wasn't getting developed at a high level as exhibited by her not making a USA Team. The best thing for her would be to come to Tennessee. That was her dream school her entire childhood. She would get exposure at the level she deserves, and it would bring her closure, hopefully, to be at the school she'd always dreamed of. Additionally, she has great friendships with Carter, Tucker, Russell, and others.

She had to be pretty naive if she thought Georgia Tech was suddenly going to become a recruiting power after she signed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One factor that may apply to both KD & DD's transfers is that both were playing to near empty arenas. From my limited view of both players they appear to relish media attention. Neither was getting the love they crave at GT & UNC, where wbb just doesn't get much respect. The Bulldogs' biggest crowd was 2300, vs Notre Dame but most of their games were played in front of less than 1000. Same thing for DD during her freshman year.

Good thing no GaTech fans post on this board.... otherwise they would have you roasting on a spit... then afterwards... they would dump you on a yellow jackets nest.

Reaction Score
She had to be pretty naive if she thought Georgia Tech was suddenly going to become a recruiting power after she signed.

MaChelle Joseph thought that making the tournament and then signing Davis would get them in contention with some other top recruits and she was wrong, but KD believed her. She said she wanted to be a part of building GT when she got there. It simply didn't work out like she thought it would.

Reaction Score
I hope Davis goes to TN as it was her dream school. If it happens, it will be fascinating to watch the dynamics between her and DD during games.

If Davis goes to TN, it should make for an interesting team with 2 big guards who are high volume, low percentage shooters.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The biggest piece to this puzzle will be KD's mother.

Anyone at the Florida Gulf Coast Showcase knows what I'm talking about.

I would NOT wanna coach with her sitting in the stands. People were getting up and moving in the early session games.

It was embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I doubt she goes to any SEC School but Tenn or Georgia. Could end up at ND, but my gut tells me she's coming to Tennessee.
GT and ND is in the same conference so she won't be going go to ND.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
MaChelle Joseph thought that making the tournament and then signing Davis would get them in contention with some other top recruits and she was wrong, but KD believed her. She said she wanted to be a part of building GT when she got there. It simply didn't work out like she thought it would.

Its alot harder for GaTech to recruit WCBB than 90% of Division I schools..... probably 95%

Reaction Score
GT and ND is in the same conference so she won't be going go to ND.

You're right. I forgot about that. I also think a dark horse here could be Ole Miss.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

I would NOT wanna coach with her sitting in the stands. People were getting up and moving in the early session games.

It was embarrassing.

Can you elaborate? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
So I keep hearing about Davis's Mother in Florida....anybody care to share exactly what it was she was doing?

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

It was embarrassing.

Kaela always wanted to be at Tennessee, and never wanted to decommit. Her mother, as you pointed out above, is the ONLY reason she isn't at Tennessee. If Kaela doesn't have to have parental consent on scholarship papers, her list of schools will be very smalShe didn't want any competition for Kaela, which is why she ended up at Georgia Tech. Her father, Antonio, wanted her at Tennessee.

It was NEVER about building something new at Georgia Tech. Machelle Joseph is the only coach that would play the game, and it helped she stayed in Atlanta under Kendra's thumb.

If Kaela can pick what school she wants to go to, she will be much better off.

I don't think Tennessee will even be in contact with the Davis'.

Reaction Score
Good ole Kendra Davis. She was the woman who kicked Kim Zolciak from Real Housewives of Atlanta out of the house she was renting to them (I'm ashamed I know that).

But seriously, the lady is difficult to deal with and was a huge reason Kaela opted for a school that allowed her to be the star. She wanted to be at Tennessee and her dad, Antonio Davis, did as well. Her Godmother is Candace Parker after all. It really was a sad situation because she seemed to have no control over her own decision. Kendra has a long history of terrible deeds regarding her twins.

I hope she ends up at an SEC school but I don't think it will be Tennessee. Her twin brother transferred out of Tennessee to UCF. I'm thinking she may go closer to him.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't expect Diamond to stay at Tennessee for 3 years. Though I don't know her, she doesn't seem to put the team first--she bailed on UNC and the kids she brought is as part of the Cinco de Mayo coup. As athletic as she is, she could play in the WNBA now.
Talk about culture shock..... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: From downtown Atlanta to the backwoods of Mississippi
Oxford is a charming smaller town.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I don't expect Diamond to stay at Tennessee for 3 years. Though I don't know her, she doesn't seem to put the team first--she bailed on UNC and the kids she brought is as part of the Cinco de Mayo coup. As athletic as she is, she could play in the WNBA now.

Oxford is a charming smaller town.

Diamond isn't going anywhere. She has said she is using her eligibility. She is where she wants to be.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And Stewie has enough talent around her that she does not need to carry the team on a nightly basis. Dayton was a game where I can recall that she needed to take the game over because most of her teammates were not coming through. Stewart and KML both took 26% of the shots. That's 52% of the shots taken by just 2 players that were coincidentally the best 2 players on the team. Tuck took 22% of the shots. That's 3 players accounting for 78% of the offensive shots.

Well of course. It was the Elite Eight game, on that night the most important game of the season. The 5 starters took all but 1 of UConn's 69 shots. I would hope Stewart, KML and Tuck accounted for most of the shots taken. They all shot greater than 50% for the season.

Up to this point Davis has shown she takes a lot of shots, misses most of them and turns the ball over twice as often as she makes an assist. Maybe she'll become a lot more efficient player with different teammates. Or maybe that's just the type of player she is.

Reaction Score
Well, the issue at GT can not be lack of scoring opportunities. She took about 30% of her team's shots (a full 290 more than her nearest teammate) and 36% of her team's 3-pointers despite making only 29% of them. Davis took more 3s per game than Kaleena. Maybe it's her coaches' and teammates' fault that she missed more than 6 of 10 shots and 7 of 10 three-pointers.

Somehow I doubt sharing the ball and spotlight with Diamond Deshields is what Kaela and her family have in mind. South Carolina?

For a second or two there I thought you were referring to Maya Moore's stats from 2011. Maya, obviously, was a much better shooter and a far better ballplayer.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
For a second or two there I thought you were referring to Maya Moore's stats from 2011. Maya, obviously, was a much better shooter and a far better ballplayer.
maya 3.jpg

Not even close to the same...Maya made 52.4% of her shots that year. She also made 84.3% of her free throws. Care to guess who led the team in assists...? Hint - Maya with 151... and only 85 turnovers.. :cool:
And she led in rebounds with 313...:p

One last thing, UConn was 36-2 w/ Maya leading the team that year... ;)

P.S.- And Maya's mom is a sweetheart...:)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 9564

Not even close to the same...Maya made 52.4% of her shots that year. She also made 84.3% of her free throws. Care to guess who led the team in assists...? Hint - Maya with 151... and only 85 turnovers.. :cool:
And she led in rebounds with 313...:p

One last thing, UConn was 36-2 w/ Maya leading the team that year... ;)

P.S.- And Maya's mom is a sweetheart...:)

All-American, AP POY, Wade trophy winner. As a senior and the best player in the country, Maya, surrounded by freshmen and sophomores, did indeed take (by far) the most shots on her team and the most shots of any of her 4 years at UConn. She made more shots than she missed and made 38% of her 3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom