Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kaela Davis Leaving Georgia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching all of the highlight video from the trials, it's not as if one can't say that Cooper is a premier guard. She made great passes, scored one-on-one with a plethora of moves and made big defensive plays. She may have just not been the right fit for that team and personnel in the eyes of the committee. Additionally, Lawson isn't the only person on the committee. She could have very well lobbied for Cooper to be on.

To evaluate a player based on highlight video is not recommended. Cooper is good. The question is, how good ? It may have been that she was not the right fit for the team. It may have been any one of a number of reasons. The fact remains she did not make the team and others at her position did.

Reaction Score
To evaluate a player based on highlight video is not recommended. Cooper is good. The question is, how good ? It may have been that she was not the right fit for the team. It may have been any one of a number of reasons. The fact remains she did not make the team and others at her position did.

Absolutely I can't give a wholesome evaluation of her trials's performance based on highlight videos. However, of the 3 videos I saw, she certainly seemed to have a great performance. Mike Flynn, who was there, listed her as one that he would have selected, and she received high marks from every evaluation of the trials I read. And let's not pretend that these things aren't incredibly subjective and political. I think it's ridiculous that a player who didn't get to participate in the trials, Asia Durr, was selected to the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKU9Ztqn1YY
http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/1225-usab-easy-pickings

Reaction Score
Absolutely I can't give a wholesome evaluation of her trials's performance based on highlight videos. However, of the 3 videos I saw, she certainly seemed to have a great performance. Mike Flynn, who was there, listed her as one that he would have selected, and she received high marks from every evaluation of the trials I read. And let's not pretend that these things aren't incredibly subjective and political. I think it's ridiculous that a player who didn't get to participate in the trials, Asia Durr, was selected to the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKU9Ztqn1YY
http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/1225-usab-easy-pickings

I was waiting for you to drop that shoe, which was why I inserted Kara Lawson's name in my post. If there was a political motive behind Cooper not making the team, I would like to hear what it was. Or is it just idle speculation ? BTW. If Durr doesn't make the team, then Patberg does.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for you to drop that shoe, which was why I inserted Kara Lawson's name in my post. If there was a political motive behind Cooper not making the team, I would like to hear what it was. Or is it just idle speculation ? BTW. If Durr doesn't make the team, then Patberg does.
Which I would've been far more okay with than somebody making the team when the team's selection is supposed to be based upon trials and they didn't compete in them. Obviously the committee has final say, but I'm sure that the coaches can make their preferences known and I doubt it's coincidence that Jeff Walz is a coach for the U19 team.

Reaction Score
I don't think us Tennessee fan need to worry about Cooper not making the team. It was a difficult team to make after all. Cooper did make the team last year but was sick so didn't go. This year she had a lot of high praises (Mike Flynn had her as one of 6 for sure spots) but was not selected. Moriah didn't make her first few USA teams but looked how she turned out. I remember her getting the highest praises as well and then not making the team.

Reaction Score
Which I would've been far more okay with than somebody making the team when the team's selection is supposed to be based upon trials and they didn't compete in them. Obviously the committee has final say, but I'm sure that the coaches can make their preferences known and I doubt it's coincidence that Jeff Walz is a coach for the U19 team.

Are you withdrawing your original charge of "incredibly subjective and political" as to why Cooper didn't make the team ? You seem to have switched from using that as a reason of why Cooper didn't make the team to why Durr did ?
BTW. What is a "wholesome evaluation" anyway ?

Reaction Score
Where is it said that the selection is supposed to be based upon the trials? The trials give the officials an opportunity to get an up to date look at the athletes, but certainly a player's body of work also plays a factor. They saw Durr in 2013 and are very familiar with her capabilities. Her injury is muscular and will certainly be healed in time.

The committee's goal is to field the best possible team and to suggest well known players should not be considered because they were not available during the days of the trials is ludicrous. I'm sure if the injured player was named Parker, your opinion would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom