Dorka out with broken thumb | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dorka out with broken thumb

Reaction Score
Terrible news. Dorka has been playing well and she’s also a leader on the court. The next several games are going to be challenging without her.

I went back and took a look at the film. The injury occurred with 7:41 left in the game. Dorka stole the ball and proceeded to lead a 2 on 1 break with Nika, who she passed to on the break. Nika returned the ball to Dorka for a would be layup. But Gonzales from TX swiped at the ball, fouling Dorka on her left hand.

Dorka grabbed her hand and shook it for a couple seconds, then proceeded to miss both foul shots. But there was no other indication that she had broken her thumb.
I originally thought that it was this play, too. But if you look closely, you can see that her thumb is already taped at this point and it was not taped when the game started. I think the injury was in the first half.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I originally thought that it was this play, too. But if you look closely, you can see that her thumb is already taped at this point and it was not taped when the game started. I think the injury was in the first half.
Oh my goodness. We have the makings of Enola Holmes 3 right in front of us!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm real sorry to say that there is NO way Amari will start or play meaningful minutes. Believe me, I hope to hell I'm wrong but, she has shown nothing to me that gives me any reason to think she is anything but a 4 year bench warmer, unless this injury bug hits the rest of our Bigs, Geno will go small before he allows Amari to get much more then 10 mins or probably less.
Exactly what other option in the post does Geno have?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It seems a lot of BYers are expecting Amari to step up, citing her offensive capability but I don't remember seeing anything about her defensive capability that would help us tomorrow. We shouldn't need her on offense but her defense will definitely be needed.
Amari, if you are called upon, please make a lot of us BYers regret these posts. Please.
And I don't see many other options that Geno has off the bench. I expect Geno to give her a chance early at significant minutes and then see how that goes.

Reaction Score
It is ironic that the UCONN "fans" who were criticizing Dorka for being too slow & too soft vs. Texas are now upset because she can't play tomorrow. Karma!
I must have missed people criticizing Dorka for her game against Texas. I thought she played very well and so did many others that posted.

Reaction Score
And stand up tall. We go into the season with 3 post players, and lose two. SMH. I’m not Chicken Little, but only 2 games in, but it’s beginning to look like this may not be our year. :confused: Too many injuries. Two starters out.
The article indicated that she's going to miss 3 games, possibly a little more. She'll be back soon enough.

Reaction Score
I'm real sorry to say that there is NO way Amari will start or play meaningful minutes. Believe me, I hope to hell I'm wrong but, she has shown nothing to me that gives me any reason to think she is anything but a 4 year bench warmer, unless this injury bug hits the rest of our Bigs, Geno will go small before he allows Amari to get much more then 10 mins or probably less.
How do you know all this about Amari when she has hardly played? I don't think we have seen her play enough to make that determination. Unless you go to all the practices and watch her .

Reaction Score

Just what we don’t need, at precisely the time we don’t need it.
I always thought that Amari has all the tools to make a real impact.
Her lack of progress had been a total enigma.
In order for our guards to have any reasonable shot at establishing a coherent, viable half court game, we were REALLY going to need our post players to step it up and use some tough play in the paint.
That hasn’t changed.
It’s just going to be incredibly difficult to get it done with what we have to work with.
I don’t enjoy saying that neither Amari or Ayanna Appear to be up to the task.
The game tomorrow might just be a case of too little talent and strength to beat NC State.
I would be absolutely thrilled to eat my words without salt.

Reaction Score
Bummer. May need to go small for much of tomorrow with AG or CD as the 4th guard/"4". AE will need to play close to 40 minutes and stay out of foul trouble. I expect Aubrey to start, with Caroline and Ayanna off the bench, and only 7 players to play, unless there's foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I think we play 8- Nika, Azzi, Lou, Aubrey, and Aaliyah to start. Caroline will get more minutes, and I think both Ayanna and Amari will see some time.

Reaction Score
While Geno did not specify how many minutes Caroline would be permitted to play, he was pretty firm on the idea that he would limit her time on the court (Saturday pre game presser). Given that, I am guessing we will see 6 players with a lot of minutes and 3 off the bench with 10 to 15 minutes-, os even more- Caroline being one of those three. Foul troubles will determine some about who plays how many minutes. I wonder how much Geno will take into consideration that this is a non-conference game early in the season. He has at least three games for which he has to manage the line up sans Dorka. Full court press, maxing out player minutes are just a couple of issues he faces. Balancing tactics with risk assessment are going to be forefront.

Reaction Score
True. She looks lost when she is in there. Really hesitant and reluctant. I think she needs to see a sport psychologist. She has the potential.

Reaction Score
As I read through this thread I just SMH over the number of references to Amari stepping up. I'm sure we all want the best for every member of the team and subscribing to the next woman up theory, what has anyone seen from Amari and her very brief minutes that would suggest she's the answer to Dorka's injury?

Again, I cast no aspersions or wish her any ill will. I just don't see her being Geno's "go to".
Definitely not a go to, but she’s gotta give us something. Eat up some minutes without any negative impact on the game, that’s all we need. Anything more great.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The Marquette win over Texas [68-61] might put a bit of tarnish over our win against
the Longhorns...but it should pump up the overall strength of the Big East...which is a good thing...a very good thing.
Marquette is now 4-0. They should get our full attention when we play them...twice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom