Dorka out with broken thumb | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dorka out with broken thumb

Reaction Score
Agreed but, a lot of Bigs can't or won't run with our guys in the 2nd half. That's where I feel we'll pull away with our defense and conditioning. Azzi will probably do what she did against Texas. I also think Lou will play much better this game then she did against Texas. I know my comments aren't appreciated on this thread but, Amari has not shown any Drive, Hustle or a solid mental attitude to be counted on in a big game like this. JMHO!
CB, I agree with you. I hope I'm wrong, but those who are trying to put salvation on the shoulders of Amari are engaging in wishful thinking. Aubrey is obviously going to be expected to step into Dorka's role, but her backup could very well be Ayanna. This could be Ayanna's coming-out party.

Reaction Score
Did Geno ever elaborate on why CD only played 5 minutes? Was it lack of practice time leading up to the Texas game or was she in pain?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amari?

Icarly GIF by Paramount+

Reaction Score
Hand injuries are forever nagging thru out a season. Basketball God's I pray to you, to shield Dorka for the rest of the season.

For the type of schedule we have injury bug just can't happen for us to be who we want to be. It really sucks because the injuries are not allowing us a chance at greatness.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Hopefully the team knew there was a problem with her thumb very early in the week so the team could somehow make some adjustments. I hope they didn't just discover this in the last few days. Lets also remember, we did beat them without Dorka last year.

Reaction Score
As I read through this thread I just SMH over the number of references to Amari stepping up. I'm sure we all want the best for every member of the team and subscribing to the next woman up theory, what has anyone seen from Amari and her very brief minutes that would suggest she's the answer to Dorka's injury?

Again, I cast no aspersions or wish her any ill will. I just don't see her being Geno's "go to".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Terrible news. Dorka has been playing well and she’s also a leader on the court. The next several games are going to be challenging without her.

I went back and took a look at the film. The injury occurred with 7:41 left in the game. Dorka stole the ball and proceeded to lead a 2 on 1 break with Nika, who she passed to on the break. Nika returned the ball to Dorka for a would be layup. But Gonzales from TX swiped at the ball, fouling Dorka on her left hand.

Dorka grabbed her hand and shook it for a couple seconds, then proceeded to miss both foul shots. But there was no other indication that she had broken her thumb.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the team knew there was a problem with her thumb very early in the week so the team could somehow make some adjustments. I hope they didn't just discover this in the last few days. Lets also remember, we did beat them without Dorka last year.
Paige was playing too lol!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As I read through this thread I just SMH over the number of references to Amari stepping up. I'm sure we all want the best for every member of the team and subscribing to the next woman up theory, what has anyone seen from Amari and her very brief minutes that would suggest she's the answer to Dorka's injury?

Again, I cast no aspersions or wish her any ill will. I just don't see her being Geno's "go to".
We don't need Amari to be Dorka. We need her to show up and play like we thought she could. Play some D, hit a few shots, maybe an assist or two. She will not play major minutes, just enough (I hope) to spell Aaliyah and Aubrey for a break. This game gives her the opportunity to show us, show Geno, and show her teammates that she can be the player that can make a difference for this program this year. As the old saying goes, @#$# or get off the pot.

Reaction Score
Terrible news. Dorka has been playing well and she’s also a leader on the court. The next several games are going to be challenging without her.

I went back and took a look at the film. The injury occurred with 7:41 left in the game. Dorka stole the ball and proceeded to lead a 2 on 1 break with Nika, who she passed to on the break. Nika returned the ball to Dorka for a would be layup. But Gonzales from TX swiped at the ball, fouling Dorka on her left hand.

Dorka grabbed her hand and shook it for a couple seconds, then proceeded to miss both foul shots. But there was no other indication that she had broken her thumb.
Wow that's great work to figure out when it happened. Was that the same side where she broke her wrist? I thought maybe it was just her wrist being sensitive or sore.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised if Ayanna is in tomorrow's starting lineup. She has already demonstrated that she can rebound against almost anybody. The only thing limiting her will be foul trouble.

If she can stay on the floor (highly dubious), she can fill in for Dorka with very little loss of team effectiveness. If she succeeds in that role in the next three games, UConn as a team will be much stronger in the front court than if Dorka's injury had not occurred.

Reaction Score
It is ironic that the UCONN "fans" who were criticizing Dorka for being too slow & too soft vs. Texas are now upset because she can't play tomorrow. Karma!

Reaction Score

Horrible. I remember that play and watched it again just now. The Texas defender whose pass was stolen by Dorka didn't want that beautiful 2 on 1 fast break with Nika to be a highlight so she just hacked down on Dorka. It was a nasty play and she knew exactly was she was doing. Was it an intentional, hard foul so she doesn't complete the play and make her look bad for the errant pass? 1000%. Was it directed to her previously injured wrist and with awareness of last year's injury? Who knows. I do know this. It was designed not to steal or block the ball but only to prevent the shot. You can tell by the defender's reaction after. I'm not suggesting it was flagrant except that if Dorka had reacted like it did break her thumb and not just momentarily injured it, they may have looked at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom