Dorka out with broken thumb | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dorka out with broken thumb

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey will start underneath with Ayanna being the first substitution down low. Ayanna is prone to foul trouble so you will see Amari. Caroline may play both some 3 and 4. I honestly don't know if Amari is ready for important minutes and whether she can control the nervous passes. I sure hope so.

Reaction Score
I hope Amari surprises everyone. We need her to step up and give some minutes. She can score in the paint and outside better than others. Geno wants rebounds blocks and toughness. Lets put her out there and get her ready to help us. She is the key to our season.

Reaction Score
I hope Amari surprises everyone. We need her to step up and give some minutes. She can score in the paint and outside better than others. Geno wants rebounds blocks and toughness. Lets put her out there and get her ready to help us. She is the key to our season.
Amari is the key to the season?

I’m waaaaaay missing the boat on her I guess.

Reaction Score
We don't need Amari to be Dorka. We need her to show up and play like we thought she could. Play some D, hit a few shots, maybe an assist or two. She will not play major minutes, just enough (I hope) to spell Aaliyah and Aubrey for a break. This game gives her the opportunity to show us, show Geno, and show her teammates that she can be the player that can make a difference for this program this year. As the old saying goes, @#$# or get off the pot.
However, tomorrow may prove to be a somewhat pivotal day in Amari’s collegiate career.
If she cannot provide productive minutes, or at least function as a “stopgap” and Geno is forced to go with Ayanna and Aubrey for Dorka’s minutes- the writing may be on the wall.
Face it, if a 6”2’ freshman steps ahead of a 6”5’ second year player for bigs minutes- it’s a bad, bad sign.
And it won’t get any easier next year with Ice back and a talented 6”5’er coming on board.
Please show us Amari
Please.

Reaction Score
How about she earns getting out there? She may play based on sheer numbers and rooting for her to take advantage if the opportunity arises as I do for virtually all players but she has shown little to think she is remotely ready for this level of ball; this ain’t HS.

Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised if Ayanna is in tomorrow's starting lineup. She has already demonstrated that she can rebound against almost anybody. The only thing limiting her will be foul trouble.

If she can stay on the floor (highly dubious), she can fill in for Dorka with very little loss of team effectiveness. If she succeeds in that role in the next three games, UConn as a team will be much stronger in the front court than if Dorka's injury had not occurred.
Not sure you should start her.
She and Aaliyah pick up a couple of quick fouls ( and if I’m the opposing coach I force that issue), then what?

Reaction Score
Was there any inkling that Dorka was injured? I'm gathering she must have just played through it on Monday?
I watched the entire TEXAS game. If you watch carefully, you can see a play, Dorka
under the basket to the left on the screen, where she appears to clutch at her wrist (but in reality, her
thumb??) I'll have to watch it again. My impression is that Dorka continued to play for most
of the game. Tough lady, Dorka.!!!. Now is the time for "NEXT WOMAN UP " and " We've
got you back, Dorka" OUCH1

Reaction Score
I sort of hope El Afy early enrolls and plays this season.
Watch the FIBA U 18 African Women's Championship series.
In particular Egypt in the Semi Final against Madagascar and the Final
against Mali. Jana (IMO) is a diamond in the rough (see it
for yourself). There is a difference in the style and quality of
FIBA African WBB (compared to Europe and the USA H.S.
AAU teams ).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And stand up tall. We go into the season with 3 post players, and lose two. SMH. I’m not Chicken Little, but only 2 games in, but it’s beginning to look like this may not be our year. :confused: Too many injuries. Two starters out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amari is the key to the season?

I’m waaaaaay missing the boat on her I guess.
I don't think you are. As stated before, She really hasn't show anything that can be classified as a solid Big.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow that's great work to figure out when it happened. Was that the same side where she broke her wrist? I thought maybe it was just her wrist being sensitive or sore.
Dorka broke her right wrist. This break was to her thumb on her left hand. The only silver lining here is that this injury is to her none-shooting hand.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It seems a lot of BYers are expecting Amari to step up, citing her offensive capability but I don't remember seeing anything about her defensive capability that would help us tomorrow. We shouldn't need her on offense but her defense will definitely be needed.
Amari, if you are called upon, please make a lot of us BYers regret these posts. Please.

JBK

Reaction Score
Only 9 players now. And Ducharme is limited. Any foul trouble and they are really in trouble. Walk ons or the transfer portal ASAP.
Portal ???
It will be a few games and we have a 6 foot 5 kid on the bench - that was one of top recruits in the country in HS and can run and shoot —
It is hard being a great 3 minute player — give her 15 and my guess is she may surprise us all.

Reaction Score
This could be an opportunity for Amari to show off her offensive talent.
She's a good mid range shooter.
She can even draw some fouls and make foul shots.
It's time for the next woman up.
Let's go Amari!
We mostly need Amari to play good defense and rebound. There's plenty of offensive firepower on this team to pick up the slack.

Reaction Score
NC State will be in theatrics mode tomorrrow trying to draw fouls on our bigs and they will probably succeed to a degree. If I were Ayanna I wouldn’t even try driving to the hoop because every player there wants to set her up for a charge. I hope she just rebounds and plays conservative D. Her whole world might change if she can stay on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom