Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC's numbers are skewed highly by games in last 2 years against F$U and U$C. Having both of those on your schedule = ratings.
Biggest skewing is when BC plays ND. FSU games do about a 1.1. USC games did about the same. Other games per the sites that show ratings for BC were 0.6 to 0.7. ND games regularly ar ein the 2.5 to 3.0 range.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
When you look at ratings in general, you can dismiss a 1 year exception (best season ever, Heisman candidate, high 1 year ranking), but it is harder to dismiss several years of decent ratings. In 2012, a year when BC was 2-10, I found a site that said they were the 16th highest ranked team in terms of composite ratings. I'm not saying that is a valid stat, but it is one person's calauclation.

The data is not wrong. Maybe it is opponent which helps ratings but how does BC get on TV 4 times in a year when they are 2-10? How did they get on 4 times the season following 2-10? To continue to say that BC does nothing for the ACC in terms of ratings does not hold up when you look at the facts. Why do they continue to get scheduled in prime time slots?
I think that's all fair. I'd like to see longitudinal data. I'm not disagreeing by the way just suggesting additional key variables.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sometimes facts suck, but here is something for you to look at (see #37)
http://texags.com/s/15550/infographic-2014-college-football-tv-ratings

Look at #38 in this one for 2013 -
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

This is where the argument is rolled out but look who they play and those numbers reflect the opposition. But, whether people like it or not, BC does okay nationally in TV ratings. Not sure how they look in NE because that data is not found in a 1 minute google search.

And national numbers matter when it comes to P5 CFB.

Let's play a game. What do all of these schools on this list (except for BYU, who has its own friggin' network) have in common?

Reaction Score
Wake Forest would get good ratings too if they played FSU trying to clinch an unbeaten regular season. How was their rating when they lost to Army at West Point?

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
You have anything better? Explain away the 2013 numbers?

I know, if facts don't fit the narrative, dismiss them as inaccurate or the source as biased.

If I'm doing research on TV ratings, going to a college fan website (let alone a school that went to the SEC recently) is probably not the first place I would start looking to compile numbers.

Reaction Score
That fan site says that data was compiled from Sports Media Watch..

Unless you think that the data was diddled...and not accurately compiled (what you seem to be implying)...I don't have an issue with a site using the data of a reputable data reporter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sometimes facts suck, but here is something for you to look at (see #37)
http://texags.com/s/15550/infographic-2014-college-football-tv-ratings

Look at #38 in this one for 2013 -
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

This is where the argument is rolled out but look who they play and those numbers reflect the opposition. But, whether people like it or not, BC does okay nationally in TV ratings. Not sure how they look in NE because that data is not found in a 1 minute google search.

And national numbers matter when it comes to P5 CFB.

You're answering a question no one is asking you.

I said Boston College has no fan base outside of campus and alumni.

It is apparently a sore point because instead of answering that, you posted vague ratings information without bothering to see what you were posting.

Boston College played in a couple of very highly rated games, but you don't really believe that the world was tuning in to see BC when the opponent was Penn State, USC or FSU, do you?

How were the ratings for BC-Louisville? Probably pretty bad.

But again, BC has no fan base outside of their own campus....will just leave that there until it's dealt with.

Reaction Score
You're answering a question no one is asking you.

I said Boston College has no fan base outside of campus and alumni.

It is apparently a sore point because instead of answering that, you posted vague ratings information without bothering to see what you were posting.

Boston College played in a couple of very highly rated games, but you don't really believe that the world was tuning in to see BC when the opponent was Penn State, USC or FSU, do you?

How were the ratings for BC-Louisville? Probably pretty bad.

But again, BC has no fan base outside of their own campus....will just leave that there until it's dealt with.
BC Lville 0.3, since you asked. Same as Uconn/TCU.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

And these are not vague numbers, they are actual ratings compiled by a legitimate source.

What is lacking is the evidence that Uconn will magically be adopted by RI, MA, NH, VT and ME as their college team. That Uconn has more fans in those states than any other school. Show me the evidence other than I see a lot of Uconn shirts in this bar I go to when I watch Uconn. If Uconn has these fans, then the TV numbers would show it. My guess is that they don't show this and the people that care about ratings know and understand this. Even if you care not to.

Reaction Score

And these are not vague numbers, they are actual ratings compiled by a legitimate source.

What is lacking is the evidence that Uconn will magically be adopted by RI, MA, NH, VT and ME as their college team. That Uconn has more fans in those states than any other school. Show me the evidence other than I see a lot of Uconn shirts in this bar I go to when I watch Uconn. If Uconn has these fans, then the TV numbers would show it. My guess is that they don't show this and the people that care about ratings know and understand this. Even if you care not to.

TCU? Do you mean to say SMU? A match-up of two hapless AAC teams with 2 or 3 wins between them?

pj

Reaction Score
Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the ratings show that at the nadir of a nightmare rebuilding effort UConn drew about the same as BCU?

Man we've sunk even lower than I thought. :eek:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I haven't mentioned UConn once, so let's drop the attempts at misdirection.

Boston College has no fan base beyond its own campus. (i.e. Boston College has not been magically adopted by RI, MA, NH, CT, VT or ME as their college team.) They've had every advantage in the world in trying to become 'the New England team', but they're yet to break out past Chestnut Hill.

It is what it is - at least it pays well.

Reaction Score

You brought up statistical data from different sites to refute the Fishy poster's claim that BC has "no support" . You were assailed for your data. BC is generally ranked 30th to 45th most years in TV watching " support " . Uconn is never in the top 50, no matter what their schedule is that year, nor their record that year. The fact is that BC football has had more " support " than Uconn football has.... in 48 out of the last 50 years in New England too.. BC has bigger home attendance the last 2 years than Uconn football has. And Uconn Football has no pro competition in its state like BC has, and Uconn has a bigger enrollment and more Alums. So when we hear that BC has no support in N.E., in is seen in the undeniable context that BC factually has more football " support " than Uconn football does.... which makes the charge then say more about the person attempting to make the false claim, than it does about BC or the other more sensible Uconn football fans, that would never attempt to make such a silly claim. There are a lot of good things to claim about Uconn football, but this was not one of them by this Fishy poster.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Another attempt at self-soothing? There's no evidence that Boston College football has even marginal support in their own city, let alone the country.

Do you kids actually believe this nonsense or is this just a weak show of bravado to make yourselves feel better? It's kinda hard to watch.

Reaction Score
You brought up statistical data from different sites to refute the Fishy poster's claim that BC has "no support" . You were assailed for your data. BC is generally ranked 30th to 45th most years in TV watching " support " . Uconn is never in the top 50, no matter what their schedule is that year, nor their record that year. The fact is that BC football has had more " support " than Uconn football has.... in 48 out of the last 50 years in New England too.. BC has bigger home attendance the last 2 years than Uconn football has. And Uconn Football has no pro competition in its state like BC has, and Uconn has a bigger enrollment and more Alums. So when we hear that BC has no support in N.E., in is seen in the undeniable context that BC factually has more football " support " than Uconn football does.... which makes the charge then say more about the person attempting to make the false claim, than it does about BC or the other more sensible Uconn football fans, that would never attempt to make such a silly claim. There are a lot of good things to claim about Uconn football, but this was not one of them by this Fishy poster.

BC does not have more football fans than UConn. The only reason BC has higher attendance than UConn is the opponents. If UConn had home games with the like of Notre Dame, Florida St., Clemson, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, ... UConn would be expanding the Rent. As for TV ratings, BC's opponents drive the ratings as well. Honestly, don't you think BC/FSU is going to draw more viewers than UConn/USF? Of course. BC playing Notre Dame? I think ND is driving the ratings.

The only things BC has over UConn in football is that they have been playing high level football longer and they have a better conference affiliation. UConn football facilities far surpass BC. The state of Connecticut is behind UConn and BC does not have the same support. Finally, for fans, it is far easier for fans to attend a UConn football game than a BC football game. I live 7 miles from Alumni Stadium and it is easier for me to attend a game at the Rent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Those Big 12 TV ratings aren't wrong. That's what happens when you get in bed with Fox.

Reaction Score
There's no evidence that Boston College football has even marginal support in their own city, let alone the country.

Do you kids actually believe this nonsense or is this just a weak show of bravado to make yourselves feel better? It's kinda hard to watch.

He just gave you the data as evidence but you assailed him as well as his data. The fact that you are incapable apparently of absorbing the data is neither his, nor my fault. BC 's home game football attendance has been larger than Uconn's football home attendance for 48 out of the last 50 years. Those are just the facts. BC football has more " support " in N.E and the country than Uconn football has . I only bring this up as a frame of reference reply to your silly claim that BC football has " no support " beyond its campus. Making silly claims shouldn't make one feel better. Dealing with reality is far better, and healthier in the long run. You should try it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He just gave you the data as evidence but you assailed him as well as his data. The fact that you are incapable apparently of absorbing the data is neither his, nor my fault. BC 's home game football attendance has been larger than Uconn's football home attendance for 48 out of the last 50 years. Those are just the facts. BC football has more " support " in N.E and the country than Uconn football has . I only bring this up as a frame of reference reply to your silly claim that BC football has " no support " beyond its campus. Making silly claims shouldn't make one feel better. Dealing with reality is far better, and healthier in the long run. You should try it.

No, he gave me football ratings which he immediately qualified as not meaning anything given that he didn't know the opponents, etc. (Being the B-side to Florida State or Penn State doesn't exactly qualify as 'evidence' of relevance, sweet pea.)

But you haven't even done that much. At least he tried to make something stick to the wall - you're just here stamping your lil feet.

Boston College football has no support past campus. To try to put it another way - there is no place on this planet that can be considered a hot bed of Boston College support outside of that campus. For the love of God, if the city of Boston doesn't care, what makes you think the act plays better out of town? It's nonsensical.

But words are hard - perhaps you're a visual learner.

image.jpg

This is a map of Boston detailing Boston College's appeal to the various locales. As you can see, support fades once you get to the sidewalk lining campus.

I was going to do the rest of the world, but I'm playing catch up on True Detective tonight and you get the gist.

Reaction Score

No. The thread was discussing general fandom as it relates to New England. Your attempt at misdirection could stem from not having any real data to counter the claim(s). According to this InfoGraphic Harvard is the #1 college football team in the state of Massachusetts. This article does a great job in expanding upon BC's lack of a following in New England and Massachusetts. Nothing's more damning than this Interactive Map that breaks down College Football Fandom by zip code. It reveals an immediate drop off of BC support outside of Boston (they don't even make the top 3). Conversely, it shows how UConn fandom spills over into Massachusetts, Eastern New York, Rhode Island and even into Long Island. Again, this is College Football. Imagine what the map looks like if it included basketball and general fandom. UConn has a following throughout the region. BC does not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. The thread was discussing general fandom as it relates to New England. Your attempt at misdirection could stem from not having any real data to counter the claim(s). According to this InfoGraphic Harvard is the #1 college football team in the state of Massachusetts. This article does a great job in expanding upon BC's lack of a following in New England and Massachusetts. Nothing's more damning than this Interactive Map that breaks down College Football Fandom by zip code. It reveals an immediate drop off of BC support outside of Boston (they don't even make the top 3). Conversely, it shows how UConn fandom spills over into Massachusetts, Eastern New York, Rhode Island and even into Long Island. Again, this is College Football. Imagine what the map looks like if it included basketball and general fandom. UConn has a following throughout the region. BC does not.

You had me laugh when you said that Harvard has more interest in football in Massachusetts than BC does. Thats like saying that Yale has more support in Connecticut because every 2 years the Harvard - Yale game is played in New Haven and they get a good crowd and local TV audience, and that audience and fan attendance is good every 2 years for that annual game. So is Yale, because of this, have more support than does Uconn football ? Using the same " logic " ?

I don't pretend to tell people that reside in Connecticut, how much support there is for Uconn Football. I'll take stats on home game attendance, tv ratings, and what they tell me. Conversely, when people who weren't born and don't live in Greater Boston tell me that Harvard U. Football has more support than BC football, these outsiders really don't know what they are talking about. Harvard football home attendance is not even half that of BC. Its Ivy league football games have such disinterest that the games are not even televised in Boston... nor in any part of Massachusetts. If there was interest, the games would be televised. The networks would want it. They have no media covering their games either. Its a 2 paragrah coverage in the Globe. I could go on, but its silly to even be discussing this Harvard Football silliness. Their Yale game in Cambridge brings out the Harvard U. Brahmins every 2 years so they can get hammered before the game. The notion that these are college football fans is really a stretch to say the least. They don't even remember the game by halftime as many of them are too drunk. And even with the large attendance for that one game, it still pales to the interest that BC football has in the area, compared to Harvard, as BC easily outdraws Harvard for its home games ( as presumably Uconn football does in Connecticut vs. Yale's home game annual attendance figures ).

Reaction Score
You had me laugh when you said that Harvard has more interest in football in Massachusetts than BC does. Thats like saying that Yale has more support in Connecticut because every 2 years the Harvard - Yale game is played in New Haven and they get a good crowd and local TV audience, and that audience and fan attendance is good every 2 years for that annual game. So is Yale, because of this, have more support than does Uconn football ? Using the same " logic " ?

I don't pretend to tell people that reside in Connecticut, how much support there is for Uconn Football. I'll take stats on home game attendance, tv ratings, and what they tell me. Conversely, when people who weren't born and don't live in Greater Boston tell me that Harvard U. Football has more support than BC football these outsiders really don't know what they are talking about. Harvard football home attendance is not even half that of BC. Its Ivy league football games have such disinterest that the games are not even televised in Boston. They have no media covering the games. Its a 2 paragrah coverage in the Globe. I could go on, but its silly to even be discussing this Harvard Football silliness. Their Yale game in Cambridge brings out the Harvard U. Brahmins every 2 years so they can get hammered before the game. The notion that these are college football fans is really a stretch to say the least. They don't even remember the game by halftime as many of them are too drunk. And even with the large attendance for that one game, it still pales to the interest that BC football has in the area, compared to Harvard, as BC easily outdraws Harvard for its home games ( as presumably Uconn football does in Connecticut vs. Yale's home game annual attendance figures ).

Then take my word for it. I have lived in greater Boston for over twenty years, half of that downtown. I have a diploma from BC. Harvard has a bigger following in Boston. So does BU. I'm not sure UCONN doesn't either, at least during BBall season.

You keep talking about attendance. Don't. Harvard does not get home games with USC, ND, FSU, etc. What was your home attendance for the Maine game this year? I bet it was under 30,000.

Reaction Score
No, he gave me football ratings which he immediately qualified as not meaning anything given that he didn't know the opponents, etc. (Being the B-side to Florida State or Penn State doesn't exactly qualify as 'evidence' of relevance, sweet pea.)

But you haven't even done that much. At least he tried to make something stick to the wall - you're just here stamping your lil feet.

Boston College football has no support past campus. To try to put it another way - there is no place on this planet that can be considered a hot bed of Boston College support outside of that campus. For the love of God, if the city of Boston doesn't care, what makes you think the act plays better out of town? It's nonsensical.

But words are hard - perhaps you're a visual learner.

image.jpg

This is a map of Boston detailing Boston College's appeal to the various locales. As you can see, support fades once you get to the sidewalk lining campus.

I was going to do the rest of the world, but I'm playing catch up on True Detective tonight and you get the gist.

That map is so childish as a creation, its clearly meant for a simple laugh, but it really has no basis in any reality. I think that deep down you know this isn't true eiyher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom