Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You had me laugh when you said that Harvard has more interest in football in Massachusetts than BC does. Thats like saying that Yale has more support in Connecticut because every 2 years the Harvard - Yale game is played in New Haven and they get a good crowd and local TV audience, and that audience and fan attendance is good every 2 years for that annual game. So is Yale, because of this, have more support than does Uconn football ? Using the same " logic " ?

I don't pretend to tell people that reside in Connecticut, how much support there is for Uconn Football. I'll take stats on home game attendance, tv ratings, and what they tell me. Conversely, when people who weren't born and don't live in Greater Boston tell me that Harvard U. Football has more support than BC football, these outsiders really don't know what they are talking about. Harvard football home attendance is not even half that of BC. Its Ivy league football games have such disinterest that the games are not even televised in Boston... nor in any part of Massachusetts. If there was interest, the games would be televised. The networks would want it. They have no media covering their games either. Its a 2 paragrah coverage in the Globe. I could go on, but its silly to even be discussing this Harvard Football silliness. Their Yale game in Cambridge brings out the Harvard U. Brahmins every 2 years so they can get hammered before the game. The notion that these are college football fans is really a stretch to say the least. They don't even remember the game by halftime as many of them are too drunk. And even with the large attendance for that one game, it still pales to the interest that BC football has in the area, compared to Harvard, as BC easily outdraws Harvard for its home games ( as presumably Uconn football does in Connecticut vs. Yale's home game annual attendance figures ).

Based upon your response, it appears you've finally conceded that BC doesn't have much of a following in New England once you leave Boston.

Reaction Score
Then take my word for it. I have lived in greater Boston for over twenty years, half of that downtown. I have a diploma from BC. Harvard has a bigger following in Boston. So does BU.

You are just kidding youself. I don't even think the majority of Uconn football fans believe this. The comment that BU football has a bigger following in Boston than BC football is fall down funny. I'd imagine even most of the Uconn football fans here ( that did not live in Boston for " over 20 years " as you tell us you did ) know that BU dropped football decades ago ( lol! ).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As a point of fact, he didn't say Harvard was more popular than Boston College - the article in the Globe did. As did this article that ran on ESPN.

Here's TicketCity's methodology...

To determine which college football team is the most popular in each state, we factored in four pieces of data for all Division I football teams (FBS and FCS). The first two data points were culled from social media; the number of Facebook fans and Twitter followers that each football team’s official page has. Next, we used Google Tools to pull the monthly average number of searches conducted for each team by users in that team’s state. Lastly, we used the median price of tickets on the secondary market for the upcoming season. As the price of tickets is a strong indicator of demand, we weighed that factor heavier than the other three. We then indexed the data points and ranked the teams accordingly.

So there was a metric and using that metric, Harvard was more popular than Boston College in Massachusetts. Damned data.

And here's their map...really looks like it holds form, doesn't it? Every state is about what you'd expect - even I'd guess that BC is more popular than Harvard, but this doesn't help. It even has you trying to attribute the motivations of people heading to Harvard games. ("They just wanna get drunk!") At a minimum, it certainly lends weight to the premise that Boston College has no fan support outside of its own campus. (Which it doesn't - see previously posted map.)

BwJGvS0IYAElpX3.jpg

Reaction Score
Based upon your response, it appears you've finally conceded that BC doesn't have much of a following in New England once you leave Boston.
BC has more interest for its football games in N.E. than Uconn football does. And has for 48 out of the last 50 years. The home game football attendance and both the national and N.E. TV ratings confirm this. I don't know what else yo tell you. I will concede that Uconn has more interest in its football games than BC in the state of Connecticut alone. But othger than that, the evidence of football game home attendance for BC and for Uconn is readily available.. as are the national and N.E. annual TV ratings for both football programs. Its all there as concrete, verifiable data for those genuinely interested. For those just interested in make believe, thats cool too.

Reaction Score
You are just kidding youself. I don't even think the majority of Uconn football fans believe this. The comment that BU football has a bigger following in Boston than BC football is fall down funny. I'd imagine even most of the Uconn football fans here ( that did not live in Boston for " over 20 years " as you tell us you did ) know that BU dropped football decades ago ( lol! ).

You are dense. I said BU has a bigger following, as does Harvard. I said nothing about football. They have more fans rooting for their varioas endeavors.

Also, you are kind of a penis. Go insult me on your own board.

Reaction Score
Congrats on BC getting better football ratings so far. I'm sure you BC fanboys are proud.

Do you really think at some point if the B1G were to take a chance on the market/potential of UConn, that we will even be having a ratings argument in say 2025-2030?

We just have to get that lifeboat....

Reaction Score
As a point of fact, he didn't say Harvard was more popular than Boston College - the article in the Globe did. As did this article that ran on ESPN.

Here's TicketCity's methodology...

the number of Facebook fans and Twitter followers that each football team’s .

BwJGvS0IYAElpX3.jpg

" twitter followers... facebook fans "... haha!... that is too funny. Maybe we can set up our own methodology and include Linked fans, and Gmail subscribers, cell phone users, and Abercrombie clothing store buyers, etc... lol!. So in other words, a twitter account fan talking about the Harvard- Columbia football game counts as much as a fan in paid attendance at a BC football game vs FSU ( or even Umass ) ?. Someone can make up any outcome they want if they utilize a goofy methodology that would not pass muster at Central Connecticut State College, let alone BC, Harvard, or Uconn. Com'on Man, even you have to admit that we immediately throw out any methodology to gauge college football interest between Yale- Uconn, or BC- Harvard with " twitter account " tweets, facebook postings, and that utter stupidness. Even saavy network advertisers would disregard that bogus methodology. If they thought it had ANY merits, Harvard football games would be on TV, and the Boston Media would have beat reporters covering their football games... as they'd want to make a buck. But they don't. Thats tells you more than " Twitter tweets ". ( lol!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congrats on BC getting better football ratings so far. I'm sure you BC fanboys are proud.

Do you really think at some point if the B1G were to take a chance on the market/potential of UConn, that we will even be having a ratings argument in say 2025-2030?

We just have to get that lifeboat....
I would love to see BC and Uconn play a football game every few years. I don't see why they can't, and why BC won't relent. Maybe then we could compare the fan interest. But right now, the evidence seems pretty clear according to legitimate sources that have been doing this for decades.. ie, TV ratings, and home game annual football attendance. Those are primarily the conventional yardsticks utilized for years and years to properly gauge a football programs interest in a geographical region.

Reaction Score
You are dense. I said BU has a bigger following, as does Harvard. I said nothing about football. They have more fans rooting for their varioas endeavors.

Also, you are kind of a . Go insult me on your own board.
Well, you did get kinda get lost here with your comments... as we were talking about FOOTBALL on here on this thread. Naturally then, one presumed your comments about BU were about football, otherwise, why bring it up, as we certainly were not talking on this thread about Uconn hockey, BC Hockey, BU Hockey. Thats for another thread, and perhaps for another forum side on this Board. I did not " insult " you. I took your comments as a football generated one.. and why would I not ?

Reaction Score
We know.

We've been watching you flap around for hours now...

Yes, well, its generally understood in most quarters that you've probably lost the high ground on your arguments, logic, and reasoning abilities, etc when you decide to drift into the personal attack mode. Thats generally a sign that you've got nothing else left... but an insult. And who is " we " ? One read here and its clear that there is diversity of thought, and few posters take on the mantle of thinking they speak for all Uconn football fans. You don't speak for all Uconn football fans. The ones I know are far more civil, gracious, than you are. And I don't speak for other BC football fans either. Thats not my call either.

Reaction Score
BC has more interest for its football games in N.E. than Uconn football does. And has for 48 out of the last 50 years. The home game football attendance and both the national and N.E. TV ratings confirm this. I don't know what else yo tell you. I will concede that Uconn has more interest in its football games than BC in the state of Connecticut alone. But othger than that, the evidence of football game home attendance for BC and for Uconn is readily available.. as are the national and N.E. annual TV ratings for both football programs. Its all there as concrete, verifiable data for those genuinely interested. For those just interested in make believe, thats cool too.

b-o-r-i-n-g.png

Reaction Score
The only reason BC has higher attendance than UConn is the opponents.

Perhaps thats true, hard to say one way or the other. BC football did outdraw Uconn football in the 60's, 70's too however. And BC played a lot of Eastern only opponents most years, same as Uconn football did. But its true that BC's football opponents are more attractive for fans than Uconn's football opponents are, and that this has had an effect on Uconn's football attendance. I can understand that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was watching the BC fixing 30 for 30 the other night and it was striking the crowds at the basketball games compared to today.

Reaction Score
I was watching the BC fixing 30 for 30 the other night and it was striking the crowds at the basketball games compared to today.

Between you and Fishy............lol!

I still can't figure out if Yawkee is trying to duckk with us or if he's really as dim as he posts. Seriously can't figure that one out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Between you and Fishy..lol!

I still can't figure out if Yawkee is trying to duckk with us or if he's really as dim as he posts. Seriously can't figure that one out.

I wasn't trying to troll him. It's a little before my time and the Garden was rocking.

Reaction Score
. Most N.E. casual sports fans think very highly of the Basketball programs at Uconn. Men's and Woman's. Even in Boston, where I live it is applauded for its many accomplishments . But when the topic turns to football, Uconn football is viewed by many as having waited too long to decide it wanted to play at the highest levels. As a result, Uconn football has less interest in N.E. than BC does.... which is no surprise as BC has been at it since the last 70's, and much longer than Uconn has. BC home football attendance has been larger than Uconn's home football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years.... and BC's football games annual TV ratings in N.E. have outstipped Uconn's TV ratings in N.E., 48 out of the last 50 years too. Those are just the incontrovertible and verifiable facts on N.E. college football " support " in the region. The rest is just talk that essentially attempts to make one feel better, but has no bearing in any reality, really.

Comparing BC football to UConn football prior to 1999 when UConn made the jump to D1 football makes no sense. Then again, many folks in BC still compare their football program to Holy Cross, even though that school went in the opposite direction in 1986.

Reaction Score
You brought up statistical data from different sites to refute the Fishy poster's claim that BC has "no support" . You were assailed for your data. BC is generally ranked 30th to 45th most years in TV watching " support " . Uconn is never in the top 50, no matter what their schedule is that year, nor their record that year. The fact is that BC football has had more " support " than Uconn football has.... in 48 out of the last 50 years in New England too.. BC has bigger home attendance the last 2 years than Uconn football has. And Uconn Football has no pro competition in its state like BC has, and Uconn has a bigger enrollment and more Alums. So when we hear that BC has no support in N.E., in is seen in the undeniable context that BC factually has more football " support " than Uconn football does.... which makes the charge then say more about the person attempting to make the false claim, than it does about BC or the other more sensible Uconn football fans, that would never attempt to make such a silly claim. There are a lot of good things to claim about Uconn football, but this was not one of them by this Fishy poster.

In 2014, BC has 7 home games, including marquee matches with USC, a highly ranked Clemson team, and their ACC 'rival' in Syracuse and averaged 34,000 at their 44,000 seat stadium while going 7 & 6 in a bowl season for them. UConn has one of its worst seasons in history at 2 & 10 with 7 home games; but, only one brand name game at home (BYU) and averaged 27,500 to their 40,000 seat stadium. That does not look like dominance to me. Let's look at 2010 instead as both programs did well that season. BC went 7 & 6 and went bowling with home games against V Tech and ND resulting in an average home attendance of 38,400. UConn went 8 & 5 and also went bowling (BCS Fiesta) with Vanderbilt and W Virginia visiting resulting in an average home attendance of 38,200. That's not dominance. That's a key reason why BC's leadership blackballed UConn within the ACC when the Big E fell apart.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2010.pdf

Reaction Score
folks in BC still compare their football program to Holy Cross, even though that school went in the opposite direction in 1986.

Thats news to me. I've never met a BC football fan under age 85 that compares " their football program to Holy Cross ". You must be visiting the nursing homes of Massachusetts in your travels to come up with this rather unusual assessment.

Reaction Score
That does not look like dominance to me. Let's look at 2010 instead as both programs did well that season.

I never used the phrase " dominance " in N.E. football.. you brought it up. My reply above was to the Fishy poster that said that BC has " no support " in N.E..

Rather than look at a single year ( 2010 ), I looked at the last 50 years. I said that BC has had higher average annual home game football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years. That compares the " support " in my view. Why do you want to focus on the 2 years Uconn had an average higher football attendance ( 2010, one of them ) ?. Its much more research valuable to go back last year, and through all the way to the 60's, to look at a longer sample in those 50 years to determine football fan attendance support between the 2.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Football attendance, hell, let's talk hockey attendance. If UConn didn't play this dumb ass games in Bridgeport the gap would have been much bigger. :D

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
I never used the phrase " dominance " in N.E. football.. you brought it up. My reply above was to the Fishy poster that said that BC has " no support " in N.E.. Rather than look at a single year ( 2010 ), I looked at the last 50 years. I said that BC has had higher average annual home game football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years. That compares the " support " in my view. Why do you want to focus on the 2 years Uconn had an average higher football attendance ( 2010, one of them ) ?. Its much more research valuable to go back last year, and through all the way to the 60's, to look at a longer sample in those 50 years to determine football fan attendance support between the 2.

Comparing pre-FBS UCONN doesn't make much sense. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way is trying to argue against Fishy's premise of BC support ending at the campus boarder....while using a handle that is located on the Green Line and site of a BC away game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom