Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football attendance, hell, let's talk hockey attendance. If UConn didn't play this dumb ass games in Bridgeport the gap would have been much bigger. :D
Hockey attendance ? Ohio State is 15th, ND is 17th... behind both BC and Uconn. But what does this have to do with this football discussion thread ? Near as I can tell, nothing. Besides, if we were discussing realignment, and using Hockey as the yardstick, then both Uconn and BC would be considered more valuable to leagues than both Ohio State and Notre Dame. But of course, Hockey attendance and Hockey TV ratings are totally irrelevent to this. Football drives these league realignments as I'm sure you are aware.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way is trying to argue against Fishy's premise of BC support ending at the campus boarder....while using a handle that is located on the Green Line and site of a BC away game.
Fishy has a handle that is located God knows where. So what do our handles have to do with anything, FrostyNuggets ? ( and we don't need to know where your handle came from. )

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Hockey attendance ? Ohio State is 15th, ND is 17th... behind both BC and Uconn. But what does this have to do with this football discussion thread ? Near as I can tell, nothing. Besides, if we were discussing realignment, and using Hockey as the yardstick, then both Uconn and BC would be considered more valuable to leagues than both Ohio State and Notre Dame. But of course, Hockey attendance and Hockey TV ratings are totally irrelevent to this. Football drives these league realignments as I'm sure you are aware.

*points at smiley face* My tongue was firmly placed in my cheek when I spoke of hockey attendance.

However! If you want to try to draw anything at all from UConn's hockey attendance numbers it is that our fan support clearly, absolutely is better than BCs. On a level playfield... with all things being equal. UConn's fan support is better. End of story.

Reaction Score
Comparing pre-FBS UCONN doesn't make much sense. Apples and oranges.
Well, if we compare just the FBS years of Uconn with BC, BC still has higher home game football attendance than does Uconn football.

Remember the context here too... my comments are in reply to the Fishy poster on here that says BC football has " no support ".

Reaction Score
*points at smiley face* My tongue was firmly placed in my cheek when I spoke of hockey attendance.

However! If you want to try to draw anything at all from UConn's hockey attendance numbers .

But I don't. My remarks were confined to Fishy's comments regarding BC FOOTBALL, not Hockey, Basketball, Coed Sailing, Soccer, Lacrosse, etc or the like.

Reaction Score
I never used the phrase " dominance " in N.E. football.. you brought it up. My reply above was to the Fishy poster that said that BC has " no support " in N.E..

Rather than look at a single year ( 2010 ), I looked at the last 50 years. I said that BC has had higher average annual home game football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years. That compares the " support " in my view. Why do you want to focus on the 2 years Uconn had an average higher football attendance ( 2010, one of them ) ?. Its much more research valuable to go back last year, and through all the way to the 60's, to look at a longer sample in those 50 years to determine football fan attendance support between the 2.

Please see my prior response. Comparing BC to UConn football prior to UConn jumping to D1 football (1999) and moving from Memorial Stadium (10K) to Rent (40K) in 2003 is useless. It's like comparing attendance at the Paw Sox to the Red Sox. 2010 was a good base point in seasons that both schools did well. From 2003 to 2014, excluding 2004 as the data by school is not available on the NCAA website, the total season average attendance for BC is 38,000 and for UConn it is 36,000.

upload_2015-7-9_11-40-6.png

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

So the 20+ year advantage that BC has over UConn playing D1 football and being New England’s only D1 football team, the Eagles average 2,000 more fans a year than UConn over the last 12+ seasons. That includes the last 2 football seasons that have been a nightmare for UConn. In a small number of seasons, UConn has even outdrawn BC even though UConn’s stadium is smaller. Imagine what the numbers would look like if the on field product was better and if UConn was in a real conference (ACC or B1G) where fans had an actual interest in the teams being played? No wonder BC administration wanted nothing to do with UConn in the ACC.

Reaction Score
We really can't afford to keep sucking at football. It's the football stupid. The basketball is great, but football impairs us to such a degree that it really doesn't help.

Reaction Score
Thats news to me. I've never met a BC football fan under age 85 that compares " their football program to Holy Cross ". You must be visiting the nursing homes of Massachusetts in your travels to come up with this rather unusual assessment.

BC's athletic department must all be over the age of 85 then based on their press release when it was announced that BC would be playing Holy Cross again. The presser reads as the second coming of the Iron Bowl.

BC, Holy Cross Finalize Two-Game Football Series
Longtime New England football rivals to meet in 2018, 2020 in Chestnut Hill

Jan. 31, 2014

One of the great traditional rivalries of the New England college football season will be renewed in the 2018 and 2020 seasons when Jesuit opponents Boston College and Holy Cross meet again for the first time in 32 years.

Boston College and the College of the Holy Cross, who met 82 times on the gridiron between 1896 and 1986, have agreed to a two-game series at Alumni Stadium, the schools have announced.

"This will be a renewal of one of the oldest and greatest traditions of college football in New England," Boston College Director of Athletics Brad Bates said. "For many years, this was `the game' for alumni and fans of both schools, and I am delighted that we are able to renew - for at least two years - this spirited and long-standing rivalry."

The first game in the newly agree-upon Boston College - Holy Cross series is set for Sept. 8, 2018. The second game is scheduled for Sept. 5, 2020. Both games will take place at Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

The 2018 meeting will mark the first football meeting between the Eagles and Crusaders since a 56-26 BC victory on Nov. 22, 1986 in Worcester, Mass. Boston College has faced Holy Cross more than any opponent in school history. BC leads the all-time series between the two institutions, 48-31-3.

For many years, the Boston College-Holy Cross rivalry was played at the end of the regular season, providing a "cap" for the New England college football schedule.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wondered how this stupid thread kept being at the top of the CR board, now I regret looking.

Reaction Score
Regarding Yawkey Way, I counsel all my true blue friends;

"Don't ever argue with an idiot because he'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience..."

Reaction Score
Well, if we compare just the FBS years of Uconn with BC, BC still has higher home game football attendance than does Uconn football.

Remember the context here too... my comments are in reply to the Fishy poster on here that says BC football has " no support ".

I didn't say that. I don't think BC or UCONN has much support outside of its core demographics / alumni. Opponents have a huge impact on attendance. Tampa Bay Rays are strangely popular when the Yankees are in town...

Reaction Score
LMAO at Boston College giving Holy Cross the 'rival' label...
You should laugh... but it was a Uconn football fan poster that said here that BC fans and alums consider Holy Cross as their football rival. ( lol!) That said, no matter who said it, it is funny as no BC fan under age 85 even thinks about Holy Cross football anymore. Heck, the current BC student body and recent BC Alums ( many of whom come from outside the N.E. region now ) couldn't tell us where Holy Cross is even located, let alone if they still play football or not ( lol!)

Reaction Score
You should laugh... but it was a Uconn football fan poster that said here that BC fans and alums consider Holy Cross as their football rival. ( lol!)That said, no matter who said it, it is funny as no BC fan under age 85 even thinks about Holy Cross football anymore. Heck, the current BC student body and recent BC Alums ( many of whom come from outside the N.E. region now ) couldn't tell us where Holy Cross is even located, let alone if they still play football or not ( lol!)

You do know that came from BC's athletic department, right? This isn't something we're making up. BC says that Holy Cross is their rival.

Reaction Score
You do know that came from BC's athletic department, right? This isn't something we're making up. BC says that Holy Cross football is their rival.
Nobody at BC ever said, certainly in the last the last 3 decades anyway,that " Holy Cross football is BC's football rival ". Thats positively hilarious ( lol!). If you want to provide the link, I'll be more than happy to comment about what was said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody at BC ever said, certainly in the last the last 3 decades anyway,that " Holy Cross football is BC's football rival ". Thats positively hilarious ( lol!). If you want to provide the link, I'll be more than happy to comment about what was said.

Your Own Stupid Athletic Department said:
I am delighted that we are able to renew - for at least two years - this spirited and long-standing rivalry.

Go to bed, troll.

Reaction Score

UConn football should not be making excuses for having smaller home football attendance than BC. I get Uconn's disadvantages you are sharing with me.. ie, newness, small stadium, play off campus, lousy league, subpar schedule, etc... I get all that. But Uconn football has no pro competition. No Patriots. no Bruins. No Celtics. No Red Sox... even the Whalers bailed out of Hartford. Uconn is a large state public school... larger than BC, has more Alums, and more Alums that live in the state of Connecticut too. How come more of these Uconn grads don't support Uconn football ? There are a lot more of them in Connecticut than BC Alums living in Massachusetts. And STILL BC football outdraws Uconn football at home games 95% of the time. Again, keep in mind that my comments are in response to the comment that" BC Football has no support" in Massachusetts. Once Uconn puts together a string of seasons where it outdraws in home game attendance BC's home game attendance, then it might be appropriate to state that " BC football has no support ". But until such time, you should be able to honestly admit to yourselves that it its kind of silly to say these things when Uconn football attendance is less than that of BC's.

Reaction Score
If BC was in the AAC, it would receive as much coverage and have as strong an attendance as Holy Cross.

Reaction Score

>>Judging from the positive reaction, Boston College athletic director Brad Bates knew he had energized the school’s football fan base when it was announced Friday the Eagles had agreed with Holy Cross to renew their long-dormant rivalry with games in 2018 and 2020 at Alumni Stadium.<<

...and don't start parsing words between rival and rivalry. That would be weak as hell!

Reaction Score
We really can't afford to keep sucking at football. It's the football stupid. The basketball is great, but football impairs us to such a degree that it really doesn't help.
When the conversation is about " Basketball " Uconn is undeniably the best basketball program in all of N.E. .. and has been for almost as long as BC has dominated the College sport of football in N.E. If " Basketball " was the driving force with these P5 realignments, Uconn would have been in a P5 Conference long ago, imo.

You are right that if Uconn turns around its football program and, for example, wins the AAC at some point in the future, they will probably get an invite to a P5 Conference .

Reaction Score
>>Judging from the positive reaction, Boston College athletic director Brad Bates knew he had energized the school’s football fan base when it was announced Friday the Eagles had agreed with Holy Cross to renew their long-dormant rivalry with games in 2018 and 2020 at Alumni Stadium.<<

...and don't start parsing words between rival and rivalry. That would be weak as hell!

I think everyone... including those on this board... knows that a football rivalry game, among similar football rivals, is always, always.... ALWAYS... played each and every year. There is no football " rivals " and there is no football " rivalry " absent that most fundamental and most essential component. It is the very essence of " parsing words " to deduce from this press release that BC considers Holy Cross their future football " rival ". It says no such thing. Furthermore, if there was a mutual intent for these 2 Catholic, Private Universities to make one another their future " football rivals ", the two would have agreed to play each other each and every season moving forward. Holy Cross and BC were indeed once football " rivals " and there was indeed an annual game football" rivalry", played as each school's last football game of each season. But nobody outside of this board believes that BC and Holy Cross agreeing to a future 2 game football series, constitutes a football rivalry game. Thats just silly, and we all know it deep down ( haha! )... Syracuse and BC however will become " rivals " and an annual " football rivalry game " will take place each and every season..... and finally, you have to admit that Uconn has egg on its face nationally by calling for a" football rivalry"with a " rival " school that ... get ready for this...does not want to be Uconn's football " rival ", and does not think of itself as Uconn's football " rival ". ( haha!) Believe me, those outside of Connecticut and around the country, think this was FAR funnier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Re basketball.....did anyone else notice that the basketball final game viewing this year was almost at the level of the record CFP final viewing?

A 17.1 rating....

Reaction Score
When the conversation is about " Basketball " Uconn is undeniably the best basketball program in all of N.E. .. and has been for almost as long as BC has dominated the College sport of football in N.E. If " Basketball " was the driving force with these P5 realignments, Uconn would have been in a P5 Conference long ago, imo.

You are right that if Uconn turns around its football program and, for example, wins the AAC at some point in the future, they will probably get an invite to a P5 Conference .
I usually disagree with your posts...but this one is about as spot on regarding CR and UCONN as a post can get

Reaction Score
I think everyone... including those on this board... knows that a football rivalry game, among similar football rivals, is always, always.... ALWAYS... played each and every year. There is no football " rivals " and there is no football " rivalry " absent that most fundamental and most essential component. It is the very essence of " parsing words " to deduce from this press release that BC considers Holy Cross their future football " rival ". It says no such thing. Furthermore, if there was a mutual intent for these 2 Catholic, Private Universities to make one another their future " football rivals ", the two would have agreed to play each other each and every season moving forward. Holy Cross and BC were indeed once football " rivals " and there was indeed an annual game football" rivalry", played as each school's last football game of each season. But nobody outside of this board believes that BC and Holy Cross agreeing to a future 2 game football series, constitutes a football rivalry game. Thats just silly, and we all know it deep down ( haha! )... Syracuse and BC however will become " rivals " and an annual " football rivalry game " will take place each and every season..... and finally, you have to admit that Uconn has egg on its face nationally by calling for a" football rivalry"with a " rival " school that ... get ready for this...does not want to be Uconn's football " rival ", and does not think of itself as Uconn's football " rival ". ( haha!) Believe me, those outside of Connecticut and around the country, think this was FAR funnier.

SMH. You have to be a politician...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99