Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do know that it's one thing to disagree with a posters comments, but quite another to find the comments as" incomprehensible" as that can be most frustrating. So I apologize if my comments made not much sense to you and we're incomprehensible.
I have encountered this on occasion before, and the comments made did not make much sense to be. It can be frustrating when a comment makes little senseI would just recommend ignoring it and just chalk it up to the usual things things found on most any message board where there are lots of levels of posters and commentary made.

Yawkey, you OK man? I'm serious. That post is so incomprehensible that I think something may be wrong. Maybe some fresh air..... You are doing great, just relax.

Reaction Score
Yawkey, you OK man? I'm serious. That post is so incomprehensible that I think something may be wrong. Maybe some fresh air..... You are doing great, just relax.
I'm doing just fine.. never felt better. ' Just got back from a pretty good workout, as a matter of fact. Thanks for that serious concern. How are you doing ? ' Doing ok, yourself ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good looking out here..sounds sincere. Yawkeys OK for a BC fan!!

Reaction Score
Or is it comparing one level of mediocrity to a level of phenomenal success?
I suppose if the situation were reversed, and BC was the most dominant College Basketball program in all of N.E, and had won National Championships in both Men and Woman's Basketball, but it was Uconn that was the most dominant football program in N.E. for the past 50 years, it would have been Uconn that would have gone to the ACC or some other P5 conference by now... not BC. It wasn't Syracuse Basketball that got them into the ACC, it was their long standing history of playing major college football that primarily did it for them. It wasn't their geography, or TV market. We are after all, talking about upstate, low TV market Syracuse.

Uconn simply waited far too long to decide to upgrade to play major college level football, imo. Thats fundamentally what happened, imo. But... one can't turn back the clock. If Uconn takes care of business and wins the AAC ( should be able to do this ), then it will find a football league that is better than the one it is currently in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok... so BC did not decide to downgrade as the Ivies decided, and Holy Cross decided. Its a absurd to think that BC is responsible for schools deciding to downgrade or upgrade. Thats these school choices. If these decisions ( they did not ask BC ) has BC remain as the dominant college football program in N.E for the last half century., thats hardly BC's fault if we are clear thinking and objective about this, it would seem to me.

Agree that BC has nothing to do with the decisions made by the other schools. I disagree in that being the ONLY D1 football program in New England does not make BC a dominant program. New England has not had dominant programs since the glory days of Yale and Harvard (note: New England's golden era of football was power by 2 powerful, nationally relevant, local rivals).

Reaction Score
="Yawkey Way, post: 1365998, member: 4458"]I suppose if the situation were reversed, and BC was the most dominant College Basketball program in all of N.E, and had won National Championships in both Men and Woman's Basketball, but it was Uconn that was the most dominant football program in N.E. for the past 50 years, it would have been Uconn that would have gone to the ACC or some other P5 conference by now... not BC. It wasn't Syracuse Basketball thst got them into the ACC, it was their long standing history of plsaying major college football that primarily did it for them. It wasn't their geography, or TV market. We are afterall, talking about upstate, low TV market Syracuse.[/QUOTE]
True dat Yawkey....thanks for stating whats so obvious to the lazy casual observer. If the ACC wanted Onandaga County? GREAT...If'n the ACC wanted juice and stability? RU/UConn would have wrapped up the NE for perpituity and neutered the B!G's Atlantic Coast takeover!! Thank God someone had a vision. Most small privates outside a few have seen their heyday go last century. Maybe a rustbelt revival will bail them out? Anyways thanks Yawkey for the reassuring words.. the post has a ring of sincerity reverberating through it..Much appreciated in this desert of despair here whilst awaiting sanity in CR.

Reaction Score
I think these ( your words ) " 99.9% of Uconn fans believe that they are smarter than the last Uconn AD, Jeff Hathaway " are probably right . In a critical time of league realignments, Hathaway conducted a " Nationwide " Coaching search to replace Randy Edsall, and came up with a Head Coach dinosaur ( Pasqualoni) that wasn't even good enough for Syracuse anymore, having been canned there. That hire of PP by Hathaway was pretty stupid in retrospect, no ?

PS - many UConn fans believe that Hathaway's 'nationwide' search consisted of chatting with a handful of high school coaches primarily in Fairfield County who all want Coach P because the guy was a high school football coach with them in the 1970's as CT high school football is so respected nationally, cough, cough.

Reaction Score
PS - many UConn fans believe that Hathaway's 'nationwide' search consisted of chatting with a handful of high school coaches primarily in Fairfield County who all want Coach P because the guy was a high school football coach with them in the 1970's as CT high school football is so respected nationally, cough, cough.
The minute I heard I got sick..bad timing for an old horse and "buggy" in hardheaded add on GDL !! How in heaven could someone PAID to make wise decisions do no better than the "loyal retread"?? Stubborn mule PP at whose expense? No lesson learned at SU's demise?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yes, this is why I put italics around Hathaway's " nationwide search". It seemed like Uconn went local, to PP. BC misfired with their hires of Jagozinski & Spaziani too. That set BC football back, just as much as PP did at Uconn. Mishires happen though.. even at the football factories on occasion.

Reaction Score
I wish i could like it tenfold Mr Conehead...forewarned is closelined ala Deacon Jones style..talk about bad timing!?!

Reaction Score
The minute I heard I got sick..bad timing for an old horse and "buggy" in hardheaded add on GDL !! How in heaven could someone PAID to make wise decisions do no better than the "loyal retread"?? Stubborn mule PP at whose expense? No lesson learned at SU's demise?

Five minutes after the Coach P was hired, I got an email from a close friend from HS who is a Syracuse alumni who is also from a family that is well connected to in-town sports families, unlike men, and told me UConn was doomed. I suddenly felt like Han Solo - "I got a bad feeling about this."

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
I suppose if the situation were reversed, and BC was the most dominant College Basketball program in all of N.E, and had won National Championships in both Men and Woman's Basketball, but it was Uconn that was the most dominant football program in N.E. for the past 50 years, it would have been Uconn that would have gone to the ACC or some other P5 conference by now... not BC. It wasn't Syracuse Basketball that got them into the ACC, it was their long standing history of playing major college football that primarily did it for them. It wasn't their geography, or TV market. We are after all, talking about upstate, low TV market Syracuse. Uconn simply waited far too long to decide to upgrade to play major college level football, imo. Thats fundamentally what happened, imo. But... one can't turn back the clock. If Uconn takes care of business and wins the AAC ( should be able to do this ), then it will find a football league that is better than the one it is currently in.

Exactly right.

Reaction Score
Another way to look at it, is that BC voted for Uconn's football program admittance to the BE ( which BC did ).
Not exactly. When BE brought in football UCONN AND Nova, the only 2 playing 1AA both had until 1998 or 2002 (I forget which year) to decide if they wanted to upgrade to D1, and had a place held for them in the BE.

The irony is, it was UConn who held the swing vote to keep the BE together in 93/94 when BB schools didn't want to add more FB schools and FB Schools were ready to break off. Hartley and Perkins orchestrated the compromise between the two splinter groups (BB only and FB) and proposed expanding the FB schools to 12 by adding WVU and RU in all sports. Hey RU and WVU, time to return the favor.... quid pro quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom