Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of Big 12 expansion candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've said this many times. I travel the country for work and have done so for years. Most people that don't follow BB even know what UCONN (Yukon?) is. Pretend otherwise if you want.

You travel in ignorant circles.

pj

Reaction Score
You travel in ignorant circles.

Give him a break, he's in the business of selling dental appliances to nursing home residents.

Reaction Score
Anecdotal of course, but in my neighborhood in Boston, I see UConn stickers on cars all the time. During the title run, I watched a few of the games at local bars, and they were always packed with UConn fans. Yeah, it's not Hartford, but I see more UConn fans around here than any other school, including Boston College.

Reaction Score
Maybe I am a bit delusional, but I think the UConn brand(100% from hoops) could garner national attention in football if things fall in place. If UConn was competitive(top 15) and playing in the B1g, my guess is you would see UConn gear all over the northeast, from rap stars to celebrities sitting courtside at MSG. It is very easy to see that the resources are in place and UConn could catapult into football relevancy quickly with aide from conference affiliation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn has an improving perception in lower FF County. Much improved in fact. However, it still has a long ways to go if measured by bumper stickers and t-shirts. BC, Yale and Duke stickers (to name a few) are as common as UConn - if not more common. That said, I think the area is fairly hungry for a school they can rally around for big time college sports as BC is too Boston and Syracuse too NY to get the full buy in. Another regional handicap is the fact there are few UConn alumni of stature (the sorry endowment is telling). In my field in finance/real estate, many are Syracuse and BC grads followed by UNC & Penn. I can't think of one UConn person in 100 professionals. Again, I think this is bound to improve in the coming decades as the school bears the fruit of its academic ramp up.

Reaction Score
UConn has an improving perception in lower FF County. Much improved in fact. However, it still has a long ways to go if measured by bumper stickers and t-shirts. BC, Yale and Duke stickers (to name a few) are as common as UConn - if not more common. That said, I think the area is fairly hungry for a school they can rally around for big time college sports as BC is too Boston and Syracuse too NY to get the full buy in. Another regional handicap is the fact there are few UConn alumni of stature (the sorry endowment is telling). In my field in finance/real estate, many are Syracuse and BC grads followed by UNC & Penn. I can't think of one UConn person in 100 professionals. Again, I think this is bound to improve in the coming decades as the school bears the fruit of its academic ramp up.
What makes UConn unique is that its a state without a pro team. Those stickers you see on cars are where parents send their kids. Those same parents would/could still cheer for UConn. I am proud to be one such fan. I grew up in CT, followed the mens hoops team as a kid, went to school out of state and now am raising my family in Fairfield County. I love UConn sports without ever going there. Growing up in this state does that to a kid. The huskies have always been my Knicks or my Celtics. If they become competitive in P5 football, they can very easily become my Jets, Pats or my Giants.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well here in Jersey for years I saw far more UConn flags, gear etc. than Rutgers stuff, although I have to say, I'm seeing more RU stuff since the move to the B1G. I rarely bump into 'Cuse grads, which is a shame because the potential to have fun a little with them is better than ever. Although I am clearly not a BCU fan, they are a popular college choice for kids locally. FWIW

Off the top of my head, I've had people strike up UConn conversations with me in Hawaii, California, Canada and the Caribbean. I think pretty much all of them are outside of Connecticut.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1.) so... If you stipulate that Uconn has great support among CT residents, then it stands to reason you would agree that this fandom would extend to places where CT residents migrate in large number, such as NY and MA. I am a good example of one ( non-alumni, former resident)

2.) ok, I'll match your dumb argument with one in kind - I live in MA, and I see UCONN fans in greater Boston a lot. So there.

3.). You acknowledge that when Uconn basketball is on tv the region will watch and root for them? Seems like you are agreeing with us here.

Not to mention the experience that many UConn fans had in NYC during the 2014 championship run. It was magical. The regional final at MSG, which I did not have tickets too, was insane as I could hear the fans inside MSG from sports bar across the street and we packed 600 or so people into the 'official' UConn Alumni bar in NYC for the game against Kentucky. The scene at many 'unofficial' bars was fun, too.

Reaction Score
1.) so... If you stipulate that Uconn has great support among CT residents, then it stands to reason you would agree that this fandom would extend to places where CT residents migrate in large number, such as NY and MA. I am a good example of one ( non-alumni, former resident)

2.) ok, I'll match your dumb argument with one in kind - I live in MA, and I see UCONN fans in greater Boston a lot. So there.

3.). You acknowledge that when Uconn basketball is on tv the region will watch and root for them? Seems like you are agreeing with us here.
Exactly if UConn is a successful FBS school the casual fan in New Endland will adopt them. The next generation will be even more deeply invested having grown up watching UConn. Remember all New England residents get in state tuition if their State University doesn't offer the program. So the New England states have some regional consideration now.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Most people in the other New England states will never adopt UConn as THEIR team. Residents of one state seldom in large numbers become fans of another state's flagship university. It is just the way it is. Do you think if UMass was to become a successful FBS program, people in Ct would adopt them? Of course they wouldn't. Why then do some think it would be different in other states?

Uconn actually wins at stuff...unlike.. Mass....Bcu...The Tangerine... Spitt....yada yada

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Most people in the other New England states will never adopt UConn as THEIR team. Residents of one state seldom in large numbers become fans of another state's flagship university. It is just the way it is. Do you think if UMass was to become a successful FBS program, people in Ct would adopt them? Of course they wouldn't. Why then do some think it would be different in other states?

Because Massachusetts competes with Connecticut athletically. UMass fans what to get to UConn's level. There is hate rather than indifference.

A kid in Vermont or New Hampshire will be forced to watch UConn because UConn is always on tv and will become a fan organically. He knows his state U isn't joining the big boys in his lifetime and he isn't prone to hate all things UConn. Also, most girls that play basketball around this country like UConn. New England girls that have hoop dreams, all dream of UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Pervasive full fledged adoption may not happen, but casual rooting interest will increase and that tends to translate into tv eyeballs. These things don't happen over night, they take time. Boise St has national fans, lots of P5 schools have casual fans nationwide. Furthermore, NYC is a bit of a wide open market. Lots of people in the area from small schools who are open to finding a p5 school to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could be worse - some schools see their support end at the traffic light leaving campus.

See "Boston College".
. Most N.E. casual sports fans think very highly of the Basketball programs at Uconn. Men's and Woman's. Even in Boston, where I live it is applauded for its many accomplishments . But when the topic turns to football, Uconn football is viewed by many as having waited too long to decide it wanted to play at the highest levels. As a result, Uconn football has less interest in N.E. than BC does.... which is no surprise as BC has been at it since the last 70's, and much longer than Uconn has. BC home football attendance has been larger than Uconn's home football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years.... and BC's football games annual TV ratings in N.E. have outstipped Uconn's TV ratings in N.E., 48 out of the last 50 years too. Those are just the incontrovertible and verifiable facts on N.E. college football " support " in the region. The rest is just talk that essentially attempts to make one feel better, but has no bearing in any reality, really.

Reaction Score
BC's football game ratings in N.E. have outsripped Uconn's football ratings, 48 out of the last 50 years too. Those are just the facts on N.E. college football " support ".

Interested in seeing the data for that verifiable fact - got a link?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
.The rest is just talk that essentially attempts to make one feel better, but has no bearing in any reality, really.

Draw a line around Boston College's campus.

Inside the line - BC fans.

Outside the line - not BC fans.

That, dear boy, is your reality.

It's nothing to fret over - it's part of being a small private school in a town that would sooner watch the grass grow at Fenway than anything going on at Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
. Most N.E. casual sports fans think very highly of the Basketball programs at Uconn. Men's and Woman's. Even in Boston, where I live it is applauded for its many accomplishments . But when the topic turns to football, Uconn football is viewed by many as having waited too long to decide it wanted to play at the highest levels. As a result, Uconn football has less interest in N.E. than BC does.... which is no surprise as BC has been at it since the last 70's, and much longer than Uconn has. BC home football attendance has been larger than Uconn's home football attendance 48 out of the last 50 years.... and BC's football games annual TV ratings in N.E. have outstipped Uconn's TV ratings in N.E., 48 out of the last 50 years too. Those are just the incontrovertible and verifiable facts on N.E. college football " support " in the region. The rest is just talk that essentially attempts to make one feel better, but has no bearing in any reality, really.

In all seriousness, what do the last 50 years have to do with comparing UCONN and BC football? Is that really your reality?

Reaction Score
It is difficult to pin down facts....but in terms of TV viewership, BC is doing OK. They were watched more than eight other ACC teams and seven Big Ten teams.

In 2014, BC was rated #37 in television viewership.....ahead of Clemson, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Oklahoma State, BYU etc.

This is national viewership and may not relate to a regional following.

Reaction Score
Draw a line around Boston College's campus.

Inside the line - BC fans.

Outside the line - not BC fans.

That, dear boy, is your reality.

It's nothing to fret over - it's part of being a small private school in a town that would sooner watch the grass grow at Fenway than anything going on at Chestnut Hill.
Sometimes facts suck, but here is something for you to look at (see #37)
http://texags.com/s/15550/infographic-2014-college-football-tv-ratings

Look at #38 in this one for 2013 -
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

This is where the argument is rolled out but look who they play and those numbers reflect the opposition. But, whether people like it or not, BC does okay nationally in TV ratings. Not sure how they look in NE because that data is not found in a 1 minute google search.

And national numbers matter when it comes to P5 CFB.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
BC's numbers are skewed highly by games in last 2 years against F$U and U$C. Having both of those on your schedule = ratings.

Reaction Score
But
BC's numbers are skewed highly by games in last 2 years against F$U and U$C. Having both of those on your schedule = ratings.

Could be...but Maryland played Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan et al and didn't do as well...Clemson played FSU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina and did not do as well.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
But

Could be...but Maryland played Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan et al and didn't do as well...Clemson played FSU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina and did not do as well.
Time slot? Competing sports programming?

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Sometimes facts suck, but here is something for you to look at (see #37)
http://texags.com/s/15550/infographic-2014-college-football-tv-ratings

Look at #38 in this one for 2013 -
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

This is where the argument is rolled out but look who they play and those numbers reflect the opposition. But, whether people like it or not, BC does okay nationally in TV ratings. Not sure how they look in NE because that data is not found in a 1 minute google search.

And national numbers matter when it comes to P5 CFB.

This info coming from an A&M Aggies website that has schools such as Minnesota and NC State with higher rating than Texas and OU??? And has OU as the 1st Big XII school listed at #26? Texas is #34?

Uh..Uh......sorry, ain't buying it. Nope.

Reaction Score
This info coming from an A&M Aggies website that has schools such as Minnesota and NC State with higher rating than Texas and OU??? And has OU as the 1st Big XII school listed at #26? Texas is #34?

Uh..Uh.sorry, ain't buying it. Nope.
You have anything better? Explain away the 2013 numbers?

I know, if facts don't fit the narrative, dismiss them as inaccurate or the source as biased.

Reaction Score
Time slot? Competing sports programming?
When you look at ratings in general, you can dismiss a 1 year exception (best season ever, Heisman candidate, high 1 year ranking), but it is harder to dismiss several years of decent ratings. In 2012, a year when BC was 2-10, I found a site that said they were the 16th highest ranked team in terms of composite ratings. I'm not saying that is a valid stat since it is skewed by an ND game (and I think Teo's girlfriend added a lot of mystery/imaginary viewers that year), but it is one person's calculation.

The data is not wrong. Maybe it is opponent which helps ratings but how does BC get on TV 4 times in a year when they are 2-10? How did they get on 4 times the season following 2-10? To continue to say that BC does nothing for the ACC in terms of ratings does not hold up when you look at the facts. Why do they continue to get scheduled in prime time slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom