April Recruiting Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a reminder, Mir played at Roland Park. I don't think her coach developed her very well.
Development of a player is not on the HS coach. Most developed players have trainers. When you see videos of players like Paige or Azzi putting up shots and working out, do you think that is with their HS teams? Many HS coaches are teachers and don’t have the time to develop individual players in the 1 to 2 hour TEAM practices during the week.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Development of a player is not on the HS coach. Most developed players have trainers. When you see videos of players like Paige or Azzi putting up shots and working out, do you think that is with their HS teams? Many HS coaches are teachers and don’t have the time to develop individual players in the 1 to 2 hour TEAM practices during the week.
I have to disagree with that at least partially. The high school is at least partially responsible for the development of a players. Even if it is only a few hours per week the HS has a responsibility to maximize those hours for the player's development especially if those players have the potential to play at the next level. Additionally, not everyone has the financial means as Azzi and Paige did to invest in personal trainers or many AAU & or travel teams.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with that at least partially. The high school is at least partially responsible for the development of a players. Even if it is only a few hours per week the HS has a responsibility to maximize those hours for the player's development especially if those players have the potential to play at the next level. Additionally, not everyone has the financial means as Azzi and Paige did to invest in personal trainers or many AAU & or travel teams.
Disagree all you want. Times have changed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This video package is incredibly small, but what you can see is impressive:

I hate to be critical here, but who ever produced this video made a horrible choice on the selection of background audio. Bobby Bland died 9 years ago, so did that audio recording. There are too many other audio files available to use instead of one that bad. No background audio was needed. A nice upbeat instrumental would have been a better choice.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You haven't seen Fran Belibi dunk in a game? She did it during the NCAA Tournament this year. I've even seen her dunk in a high school game. Candace Parker dunked in a UConn game,,,
In case you missed it.............here it is. :D She did it against Montana State on March 18, 2022. Belibi has been dunking basketballs in regulation games for years. No big deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know of a high school player with D1 potential in the past ten years in NJ that hasn't worked with a trainer.............many of the better trainers will take on kids for little or no money if they are really good because they attract other players to train.........Tiny Green the most respected of all basketball trainers in NJ will never turn down a player if they don't have the means to pay.......he's trained hundreds of players that have gone on to play college ball...,...high school coaches these days tend to spend the bulk of their time working on set offenses and defenses as opposed to individual skills......

Reaction Score
While I mostly agree with this point, I don't believe a majority of HS coaches are capable of providing high level skills training for the kids with higher aptitudes for BB. A lot of them don't know a drop step from a dance step. Pretty much all of the athletically gifted kids know by Jr. high that they're just better than the other kids and the ones who have the inner drive to be really good find a way to get there. Unlike Fudd and Sarah Strong '24, 99% of the kids don't have that built in family coaching available but the hungry ones seek it out. Access to a good trainer is obviously a good way to go but it can be done the way we did it before trainers. Watch the best players, learn, and experiment in the gym for hours against other good players.

Reaction Score
I don't know of a high school player with D1 potential in the past ten years in NJ that hasn't worked with a trainer.............many of the better trainers will take on kids for little or no money if they are really good because they attract other players to train.........Tiny Green the most respected of all basketball trainers in NJ will never turn down a player if they don't have the means to pay.......he's trained hundreds of players that have gone on to play college ball...,...high school coaches these days tend to spend the bulk of their time working on set offenses and defenses as opposed to individual skills......
Exactly. The highly motivated kids will put down their phones and find a way.

Reaction Score
6' 4 Breya Cunningham will not be attending UCONN. Her top 2 are UCLA and the other is a pac 12 school

Reaction Score

not sure what this means if anything if red herring I am sorry

Reaction Score
Watkins and Patterson are very intriguing prospects and I'm anxious to see how they both develop. Both made excelled choices for college IMO. What will be very evident for both at the first practice is that each player is the best athlete in the gym. From there the basketball development will take one of three possible path. Path 1 could be along the lines of Aquira DeCosta where the basketball skill never developed to match the athleticism. Path 2 could be along the lines of Fran Belibi or Joyner Holmes where they develop good enough basketball skills to become contributors on very good teams. Path 3 could be an expansion of the basketball skills to match the athleticism like NyLyssa Smith. I'm predicting path 2 for Watkins and path 3 for Patterson mainly because Geno and Dawn are the respective coaches.
I think you've hit it pretty close. I see Watkins as our next Saxon. Maybe a slight bit more athletic - very slight. I guess that makes her a 2 under your framework. Belibi is a good comparison but Watkins may have an edge as a defender.

I also think Patterson has more offensive skills at this point and more room for offensive development. She also will have more opportunity for meaningful PT as a frosh. Maybe she'll be a three. We'll see. It will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Watkins athletic ability is so crazy good that who knows what she will become. Labradford Smith or Michael Jordan/ When I saw LBradford Smith throw down a dunk once in college I thought he would be off the charts good as an NBA player but it's more than athletic ability. Nothing beats a work ethic and look how long it takes a lot of NBA players to emerge as real superstars ( 3-4 years quite often even among top draft picks ). If either of them achieve Victrai Saxton level I'd be happy as heck. They both might top it. I sense that Patterson never got the training that so many top kids get. If she spends some time with Paige's coaches she will improve a lot. That level of work would make the difference for her.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
As predicted and stated. It was very well known from AAU circuit that she was staying on west coast. UCLA is a very good possibility. Always thought Oregon could be a landing spot as well with her former teammate PaoPao. She will do great wherever she lands.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly. The highly motivated kids will put down their phones and find a way.
I don't know that you, @Charliebball , @Mdoggie and I are that far apart on this. Yes the vast majority of HS kids aspiring to the next level have trainers. Some very good trainers out there and some looking to line their pockets as well. Yes the vast majority of HS coaches aren't worth a damn as far as preparing players to get to the next level. Those are two very broad statements that reflect most of reality. I'm speaking of what should be not what is and I'm also sticking up for some very good high school coaches who do a very good job of preparing the kids for the next level-including my daughter. Do you seriously mean to tell me that Paige's HS coach didn't have anything to do with how prepared she was to come to UCONN and be NPOY? @Mdoggie is right it shouldn't be on the HS coach but when that's all you have-some kids and HS coaches make that work also.

Reaction Score
I don't know that you, @Charliebball , @Mdoggie and I are that far apart on this. Yes the vast majority of HS kids aspiring to the next level have trainers. Some very good trainers out there and some looking to line their pockets as well. Yes the vast majority of HS coaches aren't worth a damn as far as preparing players to get to the next level. Those are two very broad statements that reflect most of reality. I'm speaking of what should be not what is and I'm also sticking up for some very good high school coaches who do a very good job of preparing the kids for the next level-including my daughter. Do you seriously mean to tell me that Paige's HS coach didn't have anything to do with how prepared she was to come to UCONN and be NPOY? @Mdoggie is right it shouldn't be on the HS coach but when that all you have-some kids and HS coaches make that work also.
I’m sure he did as I’m told he was an excellent coach. However I don’t think he had anything to do with her skill set. Maybe he helped her in reading the game, how to be a coach on the court, how to be a great teammate. More mental than anything else. She arrived at high school with a great skill set that just needed to mature with time.

Reaction Score
6' 4 Breya Cunningham will not be attending UCONN. Her top 2 are UCLA and the other is a pac 12 school

There’s video of her playing against Ice last year. Not really competitive. Maybe she’s progressed since then, but it looks like Geno made a good choice there.

Reaction Score
I don't know that you, @Charliebball , @Mdoggie and I are that far apart on this. Yes the vast majority of HS kids aspiring to the next level have trainers. Some very good trainers out there and some looking to line their pockets as well. Yes the vast majority of HS coaches aren't worth a damn as far as preparing players to get to the next level. Those are two very broad statements that reflect most of reality. I'm speaking of what should be not what is and I'm also sticking up for some very good high school coaches who do a very good job of preparing the kids for the next level-including my daughter. Do you seriously mean to tell me that Paige's HS coach didn't have anything to do with how prepared she was to come to UCONN and be NPOY? @Mdoggie is right it shouldn't be on the HS coach but when that's all you have-some kids and HS coaches make that work also.
I think high school coaches can help to make their players better teammates, better defenders, better rebounders and to run their sets properly..........they usually don't provide much help when it comes to specific ball handling or shooting skills..........that's where the trainers come in........that's pretty much the way it is for most skill sports these days......

Reaction Score
That’s why I said “a lot of” not “all”. Bueckers’ HS coach was excellent and there are good ones spread around the country. It’s just that they’re in the minority. And some do a good job of motivating and explaining the strategic parts of the game but aren’t able to demonstrate and coach the ball skills, shooting mechanics, and footwork needed to play at a high college level. Those are the things the kids need to get out and find if their HS coach can’t provide them. The HS coach could possibly help them in that search.

Reaction Score
So I just left Sierra Canyon and I tried to get info on Randolph and Watkins. No luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom