April Recruiting Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the risk of appearing snarky, I have never seen a women's college basketball player dunk in a game. Would prefer to discuss offensive and defensive skills, upside and fit.
You haven't seen Fran Belibi dunk in a game? She did it during the NCAA Tournament this year. I've even seen her dunk in a high school game. Candace Parker dunked in a UConn game,,,

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

It's in the above--kept getting an error message, but finally was able to post.. If you check out at 35 second mark, you'll see Strong throwing down rather easily....

Except that's not a regulation basketball stanchion.

Reaction Score
I'd say there's a fair chance Ms. Patterson may attempt a dunk this coming season..........I think Geno once said, if you're going to dunk you just better make it.......;)
Has she ever dunked in a hs or AAU game?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How do you know this? Her coach is standing under the rim, and it seems at the appropriate height above his head.

Her head nearly touches the net for one thing. She also only gets about a foot off the ground and dunks like it's nothing.

Every prospect that can dunk (Patterson, Watkins, Fournier) is big news. There haven't been an reports on Strong being able to do it.

Reaction Score
Has she ever dunked in a hs or AAU game?
Hello,
In the warmups before the USA 3X3 girls team / games in
Europe this past summer "Yanna" Patterson would dunk the
ball as the opposing team watched. You can view it on
line.. if you GOOGLE the FIBA videos for the entire tournament and
select the games that the USA plays in.
The USA team won in the Finals. The Team consisted of
KiKI Rice, Mikaylah (sp) Williams, Janiah Barker, and Ayanna
Patterson. They were all terrific! I encourage you to view
the game against Russia ( many blocks by Ms. Patterson, and the Finals
( Spain , I believe ).
There is even a video of Germany with the younger Sabally
lady on the German squad. Germany lost earlier. The French
were favored but..... that is how it goes. There was even
a dunking contest for the boys and for the girls. There
were " style" points involved and Yanna did not win.
So.... she dunks , and has done so on many occasions.
Take Care, Thus Spake Z

Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer can flat-out coach & recruit; proved at Mississippi State. Knows Texas well from schooling (Texas A&M) & earlier job (Sam Houston State).

Texas sleeping athletic powerhouse school IMO. Beautiful campus/city, well-funded, in-state prestige, national academic acclaim (particularly among state schools). Always thought their major sports under-performed relative to these advantages.

Little did Vic know that by going to Texas that he would end up back in the SEC, but the massive revenue resources that UT has at its disposal are going to do nothing but increase dramatically. This is supposedly going to happen in 2025, but there are many who speculate it will happen sooner.
Coached a young man in summer AAU who now is an assistant AD at UT, and his account of fundraising there leaves me in awe of what they can accomplish. Unbelievable to me what their revenue share will be from the SEC compared to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Hello,
In the warmups before the USA 3X3 girls team / games in
Europe this past summer "Yanna" Patterson would dunk the
ball as the opposing team watched. You can view it on
line.. if you GOOGLE the FIBA videos for the entire tournament and
select the games that the USA plays in.
The USA team won in the Finals. The Team consisted of
KiKI Rice, Mikaylah (sp) Williams, Janiah Barker, and Ayanna
Patterson. They were all terrific! I encourage you to view
the game against Russia ( many blocks by Ms. Patterson, and the Finals
( Spain , I believe ).
There is even a video of Germany with the younger Sabally
lady on the German squad. Germany lost earlier. The French
were favored but..... that is how it goes. There was even
a dunking contest for the boys and for the girls. There
were " style" points involved and Yanna did not win.
So.... she dunks , and has done so on many occasions.
Take Care, Thus Spake Z
So. You have not seen her dunk in a game either. Yeah, I know she can dunk in warm ups and that ability is to be respected because it shows jumping ability and coordination. I was responding to someone who said he expected to see multiple dunks from her next year in games. I don’t expect her to get many opportunities to do so and don’t think she will jeopardize a Sure layup for a dunk that she might miss.

A dunk is two points. So is a layup.

Yeah, I have seen the game against Russia. And there were no dunks in that game.

Reaction Score
That new kid for South Carolina probably has 3-4 dunks next year. No problem.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a 'sure lay-up' [OK... after it's made] in either the men's game and especially in the women's
game. Nor have I seen a 'sure dunk' til after it goes in.

Unfortunately our very own beloved make uncontested lay-up shots a 50/50 try [at best] often times.
I have seen that Geno comment that if you try to dunk you better make it. What would he do...pull the player if she missed? Just wondering...has he ever commented that if you try an uncontested layup you better make it?

Reaction Score
So. You have not seen her dunk in a game either. Yeah, I know she can dunk in warm ups and that ability is to be respected because it shows jumping ability and coordination. I was responding to someone who said he expected to see multiple dunks from her next year in games. I don’t expect her to get many opportunities to do so and don’t think she will jeopardize a Sure layup for a dunk that she might miss.

A dunk is two points. So is a layup.

Yeah, I have seen the game against Russia. And there were no dunks in that game.
I think she would only do it in under certain game conditions and if she had the green light from Geno.......while it may only count for two points, from a marketing standpoint it might add some excitement to women's basketball.......

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a 'sure lay-up' [OK... after it's made] in either the men's game and especially in the women's
game. Nor have I seen a 'sure dunk' til after it goes in.

Unfortunately our very own beloved make uncontested lay-up shots a 50/50 try [at best] often times.
I have seen that Geno comment that if you try to dunk you better make it. What would he do...pull the player if she missed? Just wondering...has he ever commented that if you try an uncontested layup you better make it?
I think he probably meant, if the game is in doubt! I doubt there would be much angst on his part if we were up 28 with 2 minutes left and she missed the dunk at the end of the shot clock. Who we are playing might also factor into his response. As for me, I could care less if we never see a dunk! However, Que sera…, I suppose it’s inevitable as the women become more and more athletic.

Reaction Score
That new kid for South Carolina probably has 3-4 dunks next year. No problem.
I doubt it. Maybe 3 or 4 in her entire career. MAYBE! First of all, I don't see much PT for her next year. The front court is VERY crowded with Boston, Saxon, Cardosa, Amihere and Feagan.

Watkins has made several gametime dunks - in high school - against generally weak competition. They are on breakaways. I don't see her chancing a dunk with her limited time - or getting many breakaways as a power forward in Dawn's offense. Perhaps a layup or two that are near/above the rim that might be called dunks by some and layups by others. Perhaps.

I don't think much of dunks and I will drop this tangential discussion of a Gamecock that is taking away from the purpose this thread. Sorry Mods and @Sluconn Husky .

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey now following this player, Kelis Fisher, a 2025 PG from Roland Park, Maryland. Fisher seems very pro-UConn as her social media suggests. That includes calling Ashlynn Shade a "great player!" in the replies to the video of Shade I posted from last weekend.

As a reminder, Mir played at Roland Park. I don't think her coach developed her very well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I doubt it. Maybe 3 or 4 in her entire career. MAYBE! First of all, I don't see much PT for her next year. The front court is VERY crowded with Boston, Saxon, Cardosa, Amihere and Feagan.
Watkins has made several gametime dunks - in high school - against generally weak competition. They are on breakaways. I don't see her chancing a dunk with her limited time - or getting many breakaways as a power forward in Dawn's offense. Perhaps a layup or two that are near/above the rim that might be called dunks by some and layups by others. Perhaps.
I don't think much of dunks and I will drop this tangential discussion of a Gamecock that is taking away from the purpose this thread. Sorry Mods and @Sluconn Husky .
Watkins and Patterson are very intriguing prospects and I'm anxious to see how they both develop. Both made excelled choices for college IMO. What will be very evident for both at the first practice is that each player is the best athlete in the gym. From there the basketball development will take one of three possible path. Path 1 could be along the lines of Aquira DeCosta where the basketball skill never developed to match the athleticism. Path 2 could be along the lines of Fran Belibi or Joyner Holmes where they develop good enough basketball skills to become contributors on very good teams. Path 3 could be an expansion of the basketball skills to match the athleticism like NyLyssa Smith. I'm predicting path 2 for Watkins and path 3 for Patterson mainly because Geno and Dawn are the respective coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom