Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET)

Reaction Score
Agreed re the poor refereeing, Blueballer, but how is it a 'ridiculous flop' if the player simply takes a backward step or two and doesn't come close to falling. Terrible call, yet not a flop...
It did seem like she exaggerated the bump.

Reaction Score
Clark avg 27.4 her frosh year
Juju avg 27.8 this year, so yes she could be on pace to challenge Clark

Also Clark had a few games cancelled her frosh year due to Covid so Watkins has good shot at more games this year
Not to quibble (ok I’m quibbling), but Clark lost 6 games to Covid her 1st year, and 2 the second year. That’s 200+ points. Makes a difference at the margin.

Iowa played 23 regular season games her first year due to Covid (excluding conference & NCAA tourneys), versus a normal 29 (Iowa played 29 the 2 years before Clark arrived and last year as well).

Iowa/Clark lost 3 games her second year due to Covid, with 1 made up with a different opponent, for a net loss of 2 with 27 regular season games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark avg 27.4 her frosh year
Juju avg 27.8 this year, so yes she could be on pace to challenge Clark

Also Clark had a few games cancelled her frosh year due to Covid so Watkins has good shot at more games this year
Clark actually only averaged 26.6 per game as a freshman and scored 799 for the season. Watkins is already at 751 with anywhere from 2-9 games left in the season (most likely 5-7 games left), so she'll probably finish around 100 points ahead of where Clark was after her freshman season.

USC is bringing in the #1 recruiting class next year, so I don't expect Watkins to continue taking 22.8 shots per game through 4 years, but at the same time I wouldn't expect a significant drop off either in production. Definitely will be a fun story line to follow the next several years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's really hard to project a player's scoring for 4 years, just based off of one.

Kelsey Mitchell scored more thru 3 years than Plum did, but Mitchell didn't have that finishing kick. Plum had a monstrous Sr. year, as Clark is having.

Some players improve their scoring every year. Some plateau. Some actually see their scoring average dip instead of continuing to trend upward.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
DePaul was feeling generous. Had the ball, had to go length of the court w/ about 2 seconds and a tie game. So what do they do, they take steps on the inbound. Give it back to Nova w/ 1+ sec left. Olson hits a game winning buzzer beater. Nova avoids a horrendous home loss to DePaul.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It did seem like she exaggerated the bump.
That's the same as a flop in my book. In fact looking the replay a couple more times Clark bumped her first and then when the bump came back then the fake stumble. How about that term - "Fake stumble"?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kitley has been out of the game for a good chunk of the second half with an apparent injury.

11,975 new attendance record for UVa. Of course probably half of them are VA Tech fans.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Herculean effort by Amoore trying to carry VA Tech w/out Kitley, but Virginia keeps having an answer. Really nice game for Fr. Johnson.

Who wants a #1 seed? Everybody who seems poised to lock one up keeps stumbling. Well other than South Carolina.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@BRS24 I think we jinxed NCA&T by putting them on the Marquee today :oops:

The Powerful Seawolves of Stony Brook took down my Aggies of NC A&T 78-62. Stony Brook essentially clinches the regular season title and #1 seed in the CAA tourney.

Reaction Score
1) could go abroad
2) could challenge WNBA rule in court and would probably win
1) Are you saying she'll drop out of USC and go overseas? That's the only way I could see her being able to declare early with the current rules in place.

2) What's the likelihood of this happening? Haven't heard any talk about any athlete attempting to do this.

Reaction Score
1) Are you saying she'll drop out of USC and go overseas? That's the only way I could see her being able to declare early with the current rules in place.

2) What's the likelihood of this happening? Haven't heard any talk about any athlete attempting to do this.
About 10-15 years ago UVa player Schuye Larue went to Europe since she wasnt eligible for the W. Less likely these days with NIL money.

No one has challenged the W rules because there’s not enough money at stake. But if there ever is, it will get challenged and likely overturned.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
About 10-15 years ago UVa player Schuye Larue went to Europe since she wasnt eligible for the W. Less likely these days with NIL money.

No one has challenged the W rules because there’s not enough money at stake. But if there ever is, it will get challenged and likely overturned.
Wasn't Maurice Clarett from Ohio St. going to take down the NFL's rules about having to wait 3 years to enter the draft? Nothing came of that. You would think there would be a much bigger push for football players to be able to go pro early than women's basketball players. Or maybe the NFL just has good enough lawyers to make them untouchable.

Reaction Score
Kitley has been out of the game for a good chunk of the second half with an apparent injury.

11,975 new attendance record for UVa. Of course probably half of them are VA Tech fans.
Not just a record for UVA, but the most fans to ever attend a woman’s bb game in the state of Virginia. Old record was a million years ago when the Final Four was held in Richmond. And yes, I’d say that about half the crowd (maybe more) was Tech fans. I was at the game and it was the loudest I’ve ever hear JPJ. The UVA fans seemed a bit louder than VT’s. Great basketball game!

Reaction Score
Herculean effort by Amoore trying to carry VA Tech w/out Kitley, but Virginia keeps having an answer. Really nice game for Fr. Johnson.

Who wants a #1 seed? Everybody who seems poised to lock one up keeps stumbling. Well other than South Carolina.
Amoore was unconscious! I think something like 8-14 on 3’s. Kitley came back on the bench after the injury, but didn’t return to the game. It was back and forth before she got hurt, but she was killing us (9-11 from the floor). I think UVA might have won anyway, but you never know. That being said, UVA played really tough.

Reaction Score
What a weird game in Raleigh. 8-4 at the end of the first. 24-16 at half. The Pack played great defense combined with Wake being bad offensively for 20 minutes. Then in the 3rd Wake drops in 31, roars back and actually took the lead before State snapped out of it and got some mojo going in the 4th to run away with it.

Saniya Rivers, Mimi Collins and Zoe Brooks were great.

Senior Day for State, Madison Hayes announced pre game she’s coming back for her Covid year next season which feels very big. However she had a game to forget going 1-10 from the field. If State is going to do anything in the conference and national tournaments they need her to return to form particularly from behind the arc. She has been a great spot up 3 point shooter all season but is just 2 of her last 15. Perhaps she’s due??

Fun game between UVa and VT though. Hope Kitley is back soon, devastating if not. ACCT is set to be a lot of fun with potential Friday match ups of : Louisville/ND, UNC/VT, Duke/State and FSU/Syracuse. Might have to make the ride over to Greensboro!

Reaction Score
Olsen scored 4 points in the last 2 seconds of the game.

Great job by Lucy Olsen, two free throws and a turnaround jumper to win it, but poor Doug Bruno...:confused:

Reaction Score
What a weird game in Raleigh. 8-4 at the end of the first. 24-16 at half. The Pack played great defense combined with Wake being bad offensively for 20 minutes. Then in the 3rd Wake drops in 31, roars back and actually took the lead before State snapped out of it and got some mojo going in the 4th to run away with it.

Saniya Rivers, Mimi Collins and Zoe Brooks were great.

Senior Day for State, Madison Hayes announced pre game she’s coming back for her Covid year next season which feels very big. However she had a game to forget going 1-10 from the field. If State is going to do anything in the conference and national tournaments they need her to return to form particularly from behind the arc. She has been a great spot up 3 point shooter all season but is just 2 of her last 15. Perhaps she’s due??

Fun game between UVa and VT though. Hope Kitley is back soon, devastating if not. ACCT is set to be a lot of fun with potential Friday match ups of : Louisville/ND, UNC/VT, Duke/State and FSU/Syracuse. Might have to make the ride over to Greensboro!
Don’t forget UVA in those potential Friday match ups

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
By my calculations Lawson is 2-5 against Banghart head to head FWIW.

2-4. Lawson missed a matchup due to Covid. 2-1 in the last three matchups... trending up. :cool:

Banghart has 1 more ACC tournament victory then my neighbor's pet bulldog.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom