Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET) | The Boneyard

Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Heck of a weekend, hoop fans. All sorts of close games, upsets, and the next few weeks will be wild with end of regular season, conference tourneys, and Selection Sunday. Twelve top 25 teams lost last week (NCSU & WVA x2) for a whopping 14 losses. There will be a minimum of 6 losses this week, along with the potential upsets.

Here are the top 25 games of the week, along with some friends. As always, NET and conference standings a fast follow. I also tried to mark some games in red that may have an impact on conference tourney byes. As the week progresses, conf standings and adds to tv schedule will be updated in subsequent matchups.
1708971042600.jpeg

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For the NCAA NET (as of February 24), the top 12 conferences remain at Pac-12, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Big East, Ivy League, WCC, CUSA, SoCon, Summit League, AAC. This is the NET from the NCAA website.
1708971217403.jpeg

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Conference tourney byes still up in the air for everyone except the Ivy, which doesn’t have any byes, however things have settled down in conference play. Much less disparity between conference and overall standings. Differential of teams of 3 or more spots b/w conf and overall standings are marked in color. The Big12 and SEC still remain showing some interesting disparity between conference and overall records.
1708971290586.jpeg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That UCLA-Colorado game is ugly, I had to quit watching. Betts was having a big impact on the defensive end, but an absolute zero on offense. UCLA was playing better without her on the floor, just like the Utah game in Salt Lake City.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I know that recent changes with conference realignment have occurred at a dizzying pace, but wow I somehow missed the announcement that UCLA and Colorado are now in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Colorado on the cusp of not hosting.
Really brilliant move by the committee to have them as a 1 seed in their first rankings.

Reaction Score
Colorado on the cusp of not hosting.
Really brilliant move by the committee to have them as a 1 seed in their first rankings.
They were only three points behind UCLA with 1:30 left in the game. They were one seed by the skin of their teeth at the reveal, but who had a much stronger case at that point in time?

We'll find out on Thursday if the committee thinks they are worthy of a four-seed.

Reaction Score
They were only three points behind UCLA with 1:30 left in the game. They were one seed by the skin of their teeth at the reveal, but who had a much stronger case at that point in time?

We'll find out on Thursday if the committee thinks they are worthy of a four-seed.
It’s interesting how certain wins have so much impact on perception throughout the year. The opening win over LSU gave Colorado a massive reputation boost.

If you look as Massey ratings for the PAC 12, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, and Oregon State are ranked in the top 16. Colorado has gone 3-6 against those squads. And the two top 16 non conference games for Colorado is a 1-1 record against LSU/NC State. Not exactly 1 seed material, most of the damage coming recently.

I’m most interested to see if the PAC 12 performs in the NCAA tournament. I can’t tell if the conference is as good as their rankings suggest.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
#1 Kudos and thanks to @BRS24 for their vigilance and perseverance to do this EVERY week. I do find it extremely useful.
#2. I feel really bad for Oregon State and Washington State next year, the WCC NET rankings are abysmal and make the Big East look down right daunting by comparison.
#3. Maybe the Big East should look at a two division format of East/West with Gonzago, OSU, WSU being added to make it a 14 team league. West division with DePaul, Creighton, Marquette and Butler joining the aforementioned 3. Each division plays everyone 2 times and the other division 1 time (Home/Away every other year). That would be a total of 19 games, one less for men, one more for women.
#4. There are 32 Leagues with automatic bids and 24 are most likely 1 bid leagues so that leaves 44 slots open for the 8 Automatic qualifiers and at-large bids. I think some of the P6 group of fans will be disappointed when their team is headed to the WNIT....Your NET and quality wins will matter. For rule of thumb sake, think of #48-52 NET as the demarcation line.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1. Surprised to see neither the CAA or the A-10 among the top 12 NET The A-10 must have some brutal teams at the bottom

2. @BRS24 we need to talk

Plebe

Reaction Score
1. Surprised to see neither the CAA or the A-10 among the top 12 NET The A-10 must have some brutal teams at the bottom

2. @BRS24 we need to talk
The A-10 is #8 in the conference NET ranking per Warren Nolan. It’s a huge conference and they have some turrible teams at the bottom but I think they have like 6 teams in the top 100.

The CAA is for sure not in the top 12.

Reaction Score
#1 Kudos and thanks to @BRS24 for their vigilance and perseverance to do this EVERY week. I do find it extremely useful.
#2. I feel really bad for Oregon State and Washington State next year, the WCC NET rankings are abysmal and make the Big East look down right daunting by comparison.
#3. Maybe the Big East should look at a two division format of East/West with Gonzago, OSU, WSU being added to make it a 14 team league. West division with DePaul, Creighton, Marquette and Butler joining the aforementioned 3. Each division plays everyone 2 times and the other division 1 time (Home/Away every other year). That would be a total of 19 games, one less for men, one more for women.
#4. There are 32 Leagues with automatic bids and 24 are most likely 1 bid leagues so that leaves 44 slots open for the 8 Automatic qualifiers and at-large bids. I think some of the P6 group of fans will be disappointed when their team is headed to the WNIT....Your NET and quality wins will matter. For rule of thumb sake, think of #48-52 NET as the demarcation line.
Is it feasible to travel that much when you don't have a football program to assist with revenue? If I were UConn I would be living at the doorstep of the Big Ten Commissioner and send him a lot of BB info. If they can get into that league their revenue issues would be solved and UConn could play the most difficult Schedule without leaving the conference.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, before I post tonight's games, is Massey a better NET score than on the NCAA website? If so, I'll use that next week.

Onto tonight, where Marquette needs a win to hold off St J's. Baylor needs a win to stay within striking distance of a top 4 spot.

1709074095159.jpeg

Reaction Score
Ok, before I post tonight's games, is Massey a better NET score than on the NCAA website? If so, I'll use that next week.

Onto tonight, where Marquette needs a win to hold off St J's. Baylor needs a win to stay within striking distance of a top 4 spot.

View attachment 97005
Massey is not a NET. It’s his own computer formula.
Warren Nolan has NET scores, and they probably are updated more often than ncaa.com.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Massey and NET are two separate and distinct computer rankings. Both are interesting to see but I would stick with the NET if you're going to choose one.

What was your source for the ranking of the top 12 conference rankings you posted above? Just wondering, since it's quite different in positions 7-12 from the conference NET rankings displayed by Warren Nolan's site:

1709074947282.jpeg

Btw to reiterate what everyone else has said... thanks again for all your great work.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So, I was using the NCAA NET, which of course, updated yesterday after I posted the data. As they don't provide a conference ranking, I pivoted the data using the schools' NET score, which may not be correct. Mea culpa. I'll redo the table using Massey sometime tomorrow morning as I was out and about all day, and the hubster would like to have dinner :D

Reaction Score
WV about to lose yet again. Can they finally fall out of the top 25??

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
WV about to lose yet again. Can they finally fall out of the top 25??
Since I tuned in a few minutes ago, this game has been terrible. Neither team wants to win.

edit--I had to tap out, just TOs and missed shots, ugly ugly basketball

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, I love watching Mackenzie Holmes. She’s so good with both hands.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
GM folks! Although tied with Baylor for the #4 spot in Big12 bracket, the WVU loss last night puts them at #5, as they have two losses to Baylor, assuming tie breaker is h2h. Baylor plays Ok St next, and WVU vs TCU.

1709126500118.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another Big East upset last night, St. John's beat Marquette in Milwaukee, 56-50.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure of conference tournament rules but I will assume that Gonzaga would (and Princeton and UNLV could) get at large bids if they lose their tournaments. Thus, the WCC , Ivy and MWC could get two teams in.
Princeton is in a precarious spot. If they were unbeaten in conf and just lost the title game, they’d be in. But another loss to Columbia (or worse) will push them to the bubble for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom