UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

Reaction Score
We're really not ISO focused at all. We can just go to that if we need to. We generally do action off ball screens. Norchad swallows guards leaving a big man to cover our guards from about mid top.

Our guards will try and get you in foul trouble. They aren't the biggest but they're 3 years into the weight program and have played physical teams all year. They will attack through contact, even if your guys are bigger. If your defense is sound and you don't foul, our guards will have to make really tough shots.

Wong makes tough shots.

Our guys foul a lot.

Reaction Score
We're really not ISO focused at all.
Is this a change for the tournament? Because in the games I've watched, Miami runs ISO looks almost exclusively for Miller, quite a good amount for Poplar, and then at least a handful a game for Wong, along with the much more frequent token screen where Omier sets the ball screen and then clears out to let Wong effectively get an ISO look. The Miami offense this tournament is definitely less ISO heavy than Arkansas, but definitely one of the more ISO-heavy teams we've seen all season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We're really not ISO focused at all. We can just go to that if we need to. We generally do action off ball screens. Norchad swallows guards leaving a big man to cover our guards from about mid top.

Our guards will try and get you in foul trouble. They aren't the biggest but they're 3 years into the weight program and have played physical teams all year. They will attack through contact, even if your guys are bigger. If your defense is sound and you don't foul, our guards will have to make really tough shots.

Wong makes tough shots.
You’re more ISO focused than many teams we play. UConn is 4th in assists per game. Xavier is 1st. Marquette is 7th. Gonzaga was 16th. Creighton is 25th. Miami is somewhere outside the top 50. We held Gonzaga well below their average.

Should be a very interesting game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not specifically about the dome, but getting cold from 3 is one factor that could kill us on Saturday.

Miami is going to have to decide where they're willing to give us shots. They could leave their big guy to defend Sanogo 1 on 1. Or they could pack the paint and force us to shoot. If the latter, we have to make shots.

Miami isn't as dependent on the 3 (though they shoot a decent percentage when they do). If their outside shots aren't falling, their guards are going to attack the midrange, something we don't really do (for good reason).
Generally, if a team is having to tough go on 3s in a large arena, it's from baseline shots where there's a depth perception issue. We kinda stink at those anyway compared to many other teams, so seems it's more a problem for the bad guys.

Miami does sink an above average % of below average shots. But from what I see on various shot charts, they're far more effective from left side of key than the right, particularly Pack and Miller, but not Wong who's been terrific on pull ups in the tourney. Not sure what Hurley can draw up to force more shots from right of key, but that would help.

Anyway, just to compare apples to apples on who's been hot during March, here's a comparison of effective FG% for top eight on each squad:

1680201783558.png

I've done matchups more on what their offensive role is rather than who I'd expect to cover whom. Thus Karaban goes vs Miller as both do most of their scoring near the rim. Newton vs Wong as they're the primary ballhandlers, etc.

Just accounting on the offensive side of things and where each player is expected to score from, edge seems to favor UConn, most notably from the 5 position. While Miller, Pack, and Poplar are all significant scoring threats, it's easy to see UConn's scoring can match them (assuming everyone on both sides plays to their March stats).

Reaction Score
It’s going to be really interesting to see how Laranaga attacks UConn because they have pretty high variability in their 3 point offense. UT it was non-existent, to some extent because UT ran them off the line, but I think more so because he took advantage of Texas having absolutely no rim protection. My guess is they’re going to have to prioritize the three with our combo of athletic guards and rim protection.
yes. we will play D like Texas did by forcing them off the 3 point line. the difference is that we have rim protection and texas didn't. Miami will not be parading to foul line and will have to settle for bad midrange shots instead. this is exactly how hurley likes to play D.

texas could not take advantage of Miami's lack of size down low either. all they did was shoot 3s. omier had no trouble against bishop who is also 6'7 and has no offensive game at all. sanogo and clingan are going to take it to him.

Reaction Score
i think we match up well against Miami both on O and D. yes they have good Gs but they arent a good passing team which was our Achilles heel this year.

Reaction Score
You’re more ISO focused than many teams we play. UConn is 4th in assists per game. Xavier is 1st. Marquette is 7th. Gonzaga was 16th. Creighton is 25th. Miami is somewhere outside the top 50. We held Gonzaga well below their average.

Should be a very interesting game.

Yes, Miami is #76 with 14.6 app. In the Big East, that’s similar to Providence, which also averages 14.6 apg and is #75.

Reaction Score

Wong makes tough shots.
Relative to other elite top 10 offenses, yours is far less passing focused. Marquette, Xavier, Arizona, us, Iowa, etc are all very passing focused (and catch and shoot focused). Gonzaga is iso down low focused. You guys do a lot more dribble pull-ups and attacking downhill 1v1 after the PnR. It's "ISO" but not 90's Michael Jordan-iso, if that makes sense.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’d love to see Miller try to defend Sanogo. He’s 6’6”, 202 and he’d be going agains a guy who’s 6’9”, 240 and uses his size and strength to back people down in the paint. Yeah, right. Pass the popcorn, please.
If Sanogo catches the ball with Miller on him, it's over. Honestly, it's probably over no matter who guards him. I suspect Miami will try to use quickness to disrupt the entry passes and to deflect before he catches. Could work, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo catches the ball with Miller on him, it's over. Honestly, it's probably over no matter who guards him. I suspect Miami will try to use quickness to disrupt the entry passes and to deflect before he catches. Could work, but I doubt it.
It would be like the one time that Walsh from Arkansas go stuck on Sanogo. Sanogo absolutely abused him for post position and had an easy layup. I really hope Laranaga takes those guys' advice.

Reaction Score
If it were a Big East crew reffing this game we would be in for a long night
Honestly, the one thing I'm most concerned about is if we get Jeff Anderson reffing our game.

Most other anomalies I think we'd still have a chance.

If Miami is getting constant foul calls on their dribble penetration and Newton and Sanogo are getting hacked with impunity, there's very little we can do about that.

Reaction Score
Need to get their center in foul trouble- as far as I can tell they have no real backup that can hang with us. I think that’s the main key to the game for us.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Honestly, the one thing I'm most concerned about is if we get Jeff Anderson reffing our game.

Most other anomalies I think we'd still have a chance.

If Miami is getting constant foul calls on their dribble penetration and Newton and Sanogo are getting hacked with impunity, there's very little we can do about that.
You would think the opposing team would not want refs from the opponents conference. I am guessing Miami is rooting to have refs from the BE

Reaction Score
Miller played TJD very tough. He has a long wingspan. I'd let him swim with Sanogo if I was Larannaga, as opposed to some of the other poisons.

Reaction Score
Miller played TJD very tough. He has a long wingspan. I'd let him swim with Sanogo if I was Larannaga, as opposed to some of the other poisons.
TJD has a wildly different game than Sanogo and it would be a disaster for Miami if they asked Miller to be the primary defender. TJD catches the ball much higher in the post and is much more face-up focused than Sanogo. Sanogo does his work before the ball gets there and would seal off Miller and get an easy layup every single time. I can almost guarantee that Laranaga is not stupid enough to bring this look.

And then the next question is who does Omier guard? Karaban? We'd camp Karaban on the perimeter so Omier is a rebounding non-factor.

Reaction Score
TJD has a wildly different game than Sanogo and it would be a disaster for Miami if they asked Miller to be the primary defender. TJD catches the ball much higher in the post and is much more face-up focused than Sanogo. Sanogo does his work before the ball gets there and would seal off Miller and get an easy layup every single time. I can almost guarantee that Laranaga is not stupid enough to bring this look.

And then the next question is who does Omier guard? Karaban? We'd camp Karaban on the perimeter so Omier is a rebounding non-factor.
I think Miller will be pushed back due to the stronger lower body, but it will be difficult to get clean looks over Miller. He has arms for days. He plays bigger than 6-7 and is a springy athlete.

Reaction Score
I think Miller will be pushed back due to the stronger lower body, but it will be difficult to get clean looks over Miller. He has arms for days. He plays bigger than 6-7.
There's no "over" Miller in this scenario. Sanogo does his work before the ball gets there. He'd seal off Miller and have a wide open layup. See Jordan Walsh (almost same exact size and similar athleticism):

The ease with which Sanogo seals Walsh and gets the bucket is almost comical.

Reaction Score
There's no "over" Miller in this scenario. Sanogo does his work before the ball gets there. He'd seal off Miller and have a wide open layup. See Jordan Walsh (almost same exact size and similar athleticism):

The ease with which Sanogo seals Walsh and gets the bucket is almost comical.

Walsh took a horrible angle on that letting him pivot with ease. And Miller is the superior athlete to Walsh (who comes off robotic). I'm not saying it's a favorable matchup for Miami but one they can possibly endure, in light of the other options.

Reaction Score
i swear people are just making up excuses for us to lose at this point
Right. We might lose! Miami is good! But why are we inventing ways that we lose rather than the obvious: our guys don't hit their shots, their guys penetrate and get our guys in foul trouble, we don't get Omier in foul trouble, they get run-outs on stupid UConn turnovers, it's a close game and we tighten up and lose.

This is all quite possible. But we aren't going to lose because Miller guards Sanogo and somehow that works. It's the sort of suggestion coming from someone who doesn't understand how Sanogo plays. Does this guy want Miller on Clingan as well?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom