UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

Reaction Score
IMO focusing on defense; UConn has had some trouble defending drives to the rim and people do rightfully point that out, but that is partially because they sell out defending the arc so much. However, I think the teams that really killed UConn were the teams that could pass the ball around and find the open man, much like UConn does. X/Marquette and Creighton are all top 30 assist % teams and overall good passing teams.
This is right. I was worried about the matchup with Miami's guards, but seeing how ISO focused they are has given me a bit more assurance. It's just not the way to beat our D. Basically we'd need to foul them the same way we fouled Providence the first game or just not show up like we did against St John's.

Reaction Score
That thought makes conventional sense. But that our 7-2 back up center is very fast. He often runs the floor and gets dunks on breaks. And he also stopped two breaks by Arkansas by beating their guards down the floor and clogging the paint. True.
We're going to have our hands full

Reaction Score
Not to be petty, but how do offensive rebounds allow you to start fast breaks.
Good catch. I was typing tooo fast. he does what he does with offensive rebounds. He can put it back or even lead the break if he's not being covered directly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good catch. I was typing tooo fast. he does what he does with offensive rebounds. He can put it back or even lead the break if he's not being covered directly.
Quick question, the only time I've seen you play this season was the last ~12 minutes against Texas and it appeared that you zoned quite a bit on half court defense over the final 4-5 minutes. Are you a zone team or was that unique to the circumstances?

Reaction Score
Larranaga is a good coach but this whole "he beat UConn at George Mason" is probably the dumbest storyline in what will undoubtedly be a week full of dumb storylines. That '06 team was practically begging to lose from round 1.
It was a home game for George Mason. And then there is the whole Boone/Hilton collision storyline.

Reaction Score
It was a home game for George Mason. And then there is the whole Boone/Hilton collision storyline.

I don't think the crowd made a difference. George Mason was on a roll and our guys didn't care enough to stop them. It's not the kind of loss you want to be making a bunch of excuses for, considering they could have lost each of their prior 3 games in that tournament too. The only interesting thing to think about is whether they would have woken up and actually played hard when Florida was staring at them in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Quick question, the only time I've seen you play this season was the last ~12 minutes against Texas and it appeared that you zoned quite a bit on half court defense over the final 4-5 minutes. Are you a zone team or was that unique to the circumstances?
We're generally sort of man to man with help but i'm pretty sure that we were protecting Omeir in that stretch. We knew we would need him in the last few minutes in a close one.

Expect our guys to challenge your guys and gamble that they can stay in front of them at first. We'll probably front Sonoga at first with a guard providing back support if he drifts out.

Reaction Score
This is right. I was worried about the matchup with Miami's guards, but seeing how ISO focused they are has given me a bit more assurance. It's just not the way to beat our D. Basically we'd need to foul them the same way we fouled Providence the first game or just not show up like we did against St John's.
What is your style of defense? How do you expect UConn to attack us?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to be petty, but how do offensive rebounds allow you to start fast breaks.
Psssh, you are so close to the basket that it’s super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Reaction Score
Predominantly man to man with the purpose of chasing shooters off the 3 pt line. UConn will play a zone every now and then but it's usually when the man to man isn't working as effectively.

Attack? you mean offensively? I think UConn will stick with their basic motion offense with lots of curls and cuts in the half court, but push the pace off of defensive rebounds when the opportunity presents itself.

I think UConn will be good to great offensively, well I sure hope so, because Miami's offense scares the hell out of me. I saw that Houston game and Houston has a good defense and they got shredded by Miami's offense.

Reaction Score
Just play how we’ve been playing. Don’t let any team dictate how we play and get into our sets. Hurley and the staff have masterminded this offense, some of the drawn up plays have been amazing.

Rebound, rebound, rebound. Box out, we have the size advantage. Shoot the ball well, take care, limit sloppiness.

HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
We usually play tight man to man, but will occasionally mix in a zone if we're having trouble and need a change-up (only a few times this year). We guard up tight on the perimeter and rely on length/shotblocking of both the man on the ball and helpers for rim protection if we get beat 1v1. We typically stay fairly tight to shooters on penetration to prevent kick-outs, but will dig and recover as needed.

For ball screens/PnR, it depends which big is in the game:

With Sanogo in the game, we hedge ball screens heading towards the middle of the court above the break hard with his man as the screener (or Karaban's). We're excellent in help and rotation and often completely cut off PnR penetration without giving up any advantage. We're very well practiced with the scheme and our guys know their roles well. The ball defender will go over the screen usually (with your personnel, against Arkansas went under). The ball defender will recover and then switch with Sanogo, using their height/length to prevent passing to the roll man while Sanogo retreats (with Jackson/Hawkins generally roving the passing lanes with their athleticism). If you involve a guard as the screener, we'll switch it. We can switch 1-3 reliably as they're all 6'5"-6'6" and can defend guards. We'll similarly switch off ball screens when advantageous to do so. We do occasionally mix up the look and will at times ice, play at the level, or drop with Sanogo as well, depending on matchup or just to confuse the ballhandler.

With Clingan in the game, we usually run drop coverage, as he is not quick or practiced enough to hedge well. The guard defender will do their best to go over the top and get back in front as Clingan slows the penetration. His massive size and length with good-for-his-size mobility allows him to stop penetration and usually also recover to the roll man once the guard gets back into position. Guys shoot very low %'s over him in the lane on mids/floaters. As with Sanogo, at times Clingan will hedge to throw in a different look.

We almost always guard in the post 1v1. Sanogo is a very good 1v1 post defender (especially against power bigs, you can't move him) and Clingan is an elite post defender.

The combination of tight off ball D, sticking to shooters, and preventing PnR penetration means we often give up very few assists and force a lot of 1v1 in undesirable areas (off the dribble 3s or midrange stuff over help). Miami will be able to make some stuff happen 1v1 compared to some teams due to guard talent, but it won't be premium looks. And missing those shots with your guards in the lane is death when our athletic wings rebound and go the other way looking for shooters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We usually play tight man to man, but will occasionally mix in a zone if we're having trouble and need a change-up (only a few times this year). We guard up tight on the perimeter and rely on length/shotblocking of both the man on the ball and helpers Tor rim protection if we get beat 1v1. We typically stay fairly tight to shooters on penetration to prevent kick-outs, but will dig and recover as needed.

With Sanogo in the game, we hedge ball screens heading towards the middle of the court above the break hard with his man as the screener (or Karaban's). We're excellent in help and rotation and often completely cut off PnR penetration without giving up any advantage. We're very well practiced with the scheme and our guys know their roles well. The ball defender will go over the screen usually (with your personnel, against Arkansas went under). The ball defender will recover and then switch with Sanogo, using their height/length to prevent passing to the roll man while Sanogo retreats (with Jackson/Hawkins generally roving the passing lanes with their athleticism). If you involve a guard as the screener, we'll switch it. We can switch 1-3 reliably as they're all 6'5"-6'6" and can defend guards. We'll similarly switch off ball screens when advantageous to do so. We do occasionally mix up the look and will at times ice, play at the level, or drop with Sanogo as well, depending on matchup or just to confuse the ballhandler.

With Clingan in the game, we usually run drop coverage, as he is not quick or practiced enough to hedge well. The guard defender will do their best to go over the top and get back in front as Clingan slows the penetration. His massive size and length with good-for-his-size mobility allows him to stop penetration and usually also recover to the roll man once the guard gets back into position. Guys shoot very low %'s over him in the lane on mids/floaters. As with Sanogo, at times Clingan will hedge to throw in a different look.

We almost always guard in the post 1v1. Sanogo is a very good 1v1 post defender (especially against power bigs, you can't move him) and Clingan is an elite post defender.

The combination of tight off ball D, sticking to shooters, and preventing PnR penetration means we often give up very few assists and force a lot of 1v1 in undesirable areas (off the dribble 3s or midrange stuff over help). Miami will be able to make some stuff happen 1v1 compared to some teams due to guard talent, but it won't be premium looks. And missing those shots with your guards in the lane is death when our athletic wings rebound and go the other way looking for shooters.
Courtest of @UConnFilmRoom on twitter, these clips show Sanogo hedging and guards switching a PnR, and then also a Clingan drop.

Sanogo Hedge VIdeo that I can't embed
Clingan drops and stuffs Timme.

Reaction Score
We usually play tight man to man, but will occasionally mix in a zone if we're having trouble and need a change-up (only a few times this year). We guard up tight on the perimeter and rely on length/shotblocking of both the man on the ball and helpers for rim protection if we get beat 1v1. We typically stay fairly tight to shooters on penetration to prevent kick-outs, but will dig and recover as needed.

That is scary.

You know what I think goes into winning at this level that's hard to measure physicality. I can see that UConn is a physical team. Texas said they were surprised that we were as physical as we were because they scrimmage against Houston and were surprised we banged with them on the boards.

Whoever can handle the pressure and the physicality of the tournament will win it.

UConn definitely has the most talent left in the tournament and you guys seem to be doing everything right. I don't see any weaknesses.

Reaction Score
That is scary.

You know what I think goes into winning at this level that's hard to measure physicality. I can see that UConn is a physical team. Texas said they were surprised that we were as physical as we were because they scrimmage against Houston and were surprised we banged with them on the boards.

Whoever can handle the pressure and the physicality of the tournament will win it.

UConn definitely has the most talent left in the tournament and you guys seem to be doing everything right. I don't see any weaknesses.
If you guys shoot as well from midrange as you did against Texas, you'll have a shot. Would help if you force us into 15+ turnovers and we shoot poorly from 3.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That is scary.

It is the game of basketball. Stuff happens. Like most things, getting all the details right, or wrong, is how a team moves the percentages just enough to give them a slightly better chance to win, or lose. That is why they play the games.

Reaction Score

UConn​

“I don’t think anyone can beat them. The only way they lose is if they have a bad shooting night. They’re way better live than on film. The four teams they’ve played all play different ways, and they picked them all apart. They know their roles inside and out, they’re very well-coached, and they play tough and smart. You have to make a decision with Andre Jackson. He’s a non-shooter, but if you back off him, he’s like a quarterback who doesn’t get rushed. You have to crowd Jordan Hawkins’ air space and hope he has a bad night. He’s in constant motion like Rip Hamilton. He might be the most in-shape player in college basketball. He has the prettiest jump shot I’ve seen. You better limit his catches cause he gets that thing off quick. They mix things up defensively more than they have in the past, but they still have that Dan Hurley toughness. Tristen Newton is able to run the one, but he’s not your traditional jet-quick point guard. You have to guard Adama Sanogo with one person. Earlier in the season he was scoring first, second and third, but he’s passing now. Keep him off deep catches if you can. Make him score over you. Miami’s perimeter is going to be a lot for them to handle, but UConn has good size out there, and they’re going to have some rim protection.”

I wonder who the anonymous coach was that said that about UConn. I was thinking Pitino.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom