UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Right. We might lose! Miami is good! But why are we inventing ways that we lose rather than the obvious: our guys don't hit their shots, their guys penetrate and get our guys in foul trouble, we don't get Omier in foul trouble, they get run-outs on stupid UConn turnovers, it's a close game and we tighten up and lose.

This is all quite possible. But we aren't going to lose because Miller guards Sanogo and somehow that works. It's the sort of suggestion coming from someone who doesn't understand how Sanogo plays. Does this guy want Miller on Clingan as well?
LOL

Omier is going to guard Hawkins,.

Reaction Score
The path is clear, let’s do this thing!!!
Let me add something else....I am fired up for our team......most good teams have 10 point spurts. We have 20 point spurts. Miami cannot stop that. It comes from being a nasty two way team. Good luck Miami.

Reaction Score
I think Miller will be pushed back due to the stronger lower body, but it will be difficult to get clean looks over Miller. He has arms for days. He plays bigger than 6-7 and is a springy athlete.

Where does this kind of myth come from? According to Sports Illustrated, Miller has the wingspan of someone 6’10”. But what advantage does that give him over someone who’s 6’9” with a normal wingspan for his height? Even with those long arms, he’s still starting out from a base that’s 2-3” lower than Sanogo. The long arms compensate for him being shorter, but they don’t give him an advantage.

More important is the fact that Miller is giving away 40 pounds who plays the game the way that Shaq did except with more moves. Have you not seen Sanogo play?

The idea that Miller can be effective guarding Sanogo is just crazy.

Reaction Score
We just have to focus on each possession and take care of the ball. Don't get jumpy on defense and stay on the floor till they jump. Getting hyper and trying for the big play can lead to fouls. This game is more about mental strength as we have a full crew of great players.

Reaction Score
In our losses at Xavier and Providence we were unfairly reffed. It’s just fact it’s the one easy way to slow us down. Even Goodman basically reported they were getting back at Hurley.

This deranged conspiracy theory is treated as fact here in the BY. But out in the real world nobody agrees that it is a fact. There are a lot of rabid UConn fans here. That describes just about all of us. But to any true basketball fan who knows the game, this stuff is like fingernails on a chalk board. I hate when I go to a game and have to listen to the home fans complain about the refs. It happens at every game, in every sport. It’s embarrassing.

Reaction Score
This deranged conspiracy theory is treated as fact here in the BY. But out in the real world nobody agrees that it is a fact. There are a lot of rabid UConn fans here. That describes just about all of us. But to any true basketball fan who knows the game, this stuff is like fingernails on a chalk board. I hate when I go to a game and have to listen to the home fans complain about the refs. It happens at every game, in every sport. It’s embarrassing.
It’s not conspiracy. BE refs were terrible this season and had a beef with Hurley. It was alluded to by more than one reporter that the refs didn’t like Hurley. It’s not coincidence UConn is undefeated in the OOC but looks like a completely different team with BE refs

Reaction Score
It’s not conspiracy. BE refs were terrible this season and had a beef with Hurley. It was alluded to by more than one reporter that the refs didn’t like Hurley. It’s not coincidence UConn is undefeated in the OOC but looks like a completely different team with BE refs
The word "conspiracy" was introduced by the poster to support his point, and is a false narrative. The BE officiating, at a minimum is "different", and at most, "awful". There is nothing embarrassing about calling it out the refs, because we are fans and they are awful. Two truths.

Reaction Score
Yea but that’s the only center they have. We have two. Sanogo footwork is much better that his. I’m not worried. They need to keep him out of foul trouble.

Their guards are tough but Newton and just as big and strong as Wong. Pack has to chase Hawk around. Both great shooters.

They have no bench. They have a better coach, I like Hurley but this dude is a very good coach.
Yes Laranaga is damn good... He figured out... Well you know... Better than Coach Dan right now? I am not so sure.... Coach is conapriring w/his Assts, his dad and Bobby how to counter Laranaga AND Miami.... I think he has this....

caw

Reaction Score
"...Nobody in the ACC is as big and physical as UConn.” - another anonymous coach vs UM

I would say they played a few teams that have similar height to UConn in UNC and Duke. They did get PC also.

Duke's length gave them fits in two games (one where Omier was absent for 39 minutes due to his ankle tweak). UNC played them hard but it was UNC this year.

I am not sure they have played a team with similar strength to Omier this year and he bullied players in the ACC. I know their listed weights are similar but I would be shocked if Sanogo isn't 10-15 lbs heavier.

We're really not ISO focused at all. We can just go to that if we need to. We generally do action off ball screens. Norchad swallows guards leaving a big man to cover our guards from about mid top.

Our guards will try and get you in foul trouble. They aren't the biggest but they're 3 years into the weight program and have played physical teams all year. They will attack through contact, even if your guys are bigger. If your defense is sound and you don't foul, our guards will have to make really tough shots.

Wong makes tough shots.

Yeah, Miami does do a lot of on ball screening. Very two man game. They look for favorable switches for their guards to exploit. Or they look to exploit the hedge/double. Miami isn't a bad passing team but there is a lot less off ball action and ball movement than UConn uses usually. Miami is how Arkansas wants to play.

The only real off ball movement Miami makes is some hard cuts when the defense is focused on the dribble penetrator.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Then why was Dan spending so much time on the phone with the head of officials in January? Asking for coaching advice?

This is a classic example of trying too hard to present as unbiased. There’s more than enough evidence to suggest those games were impacted by biased officiating. The free throw disparity, Goodmans report, Hurleys phone calls. Stick your head in the sand if you want, the full season foul stats don’t tell the real story whatsoever.

Reaction Score
During the 6 game BE skid, the FTA was 109-157 in favor of the opposition.

In the words of Bill Murray, "That's the fact Jack".

In our losses which is the only pertinent fact we shot
73 FT to our opponents 140
i don’t know about a conspiracy but FT differential was a big factor in 5 of those losses .

You guys are wasting your breath arguing with that dude. He has already been told, but he continues to cherry-pick the numbers and make his toddler-level arguments.

Most here have figured out that Billy Jack is a closet PC fan. Let him spout his nonsense if it makes him feeel better.

Reaction Score
True basketball fan! You and Chief have similar credentials

Reaction Score
If the NCAA allowed BE refs to do a BE team that would be criminal.
I mean they gave Gaffney, a northeastern guy who does a lot of Big East games that we’ve seen 3-5 times every year for the last decade+, our Elite Eight game in Vegas. So anything’s possible. Just comes down to whatever method the NCAA uses to assign officials for these national tournaments. We may have Anderson, we may not. Probably should be pretty far down our list of concerns for Saturday night. Even if he’s there, it’s only 1 of 3.

Reaction Score
You guys are wasting your breath arguing with that dude. He has already been told, but he continues to cherry-pick the numbers and make his toddler-level arguments.

Most here have figured out that Billy Jack is a closet PC fan. Let him spout his nonsense if it makes him feeel better.

So, because I don’t buy into the conspiracy theory that the refs colluded to favor Providence in our loss to them, that makes me a a Providence fan? LOL. You’re an idiot.

Only here on the BY do basketball fans accept this nonsense as undisputed fact. It’s one thing to be rabid for your team, it’s something else to be delusional. If you hadn’t noticed, this year’s team had a problem of fouling too much. At one point it was in the top 50 in the country in fouls committed - out of 362 teams. That’s improved, but they’re still in the top 100. We’ve averaged 18 fouls per game whereas schools like Creighton are averaging only 13 and the national leaders are averaging 12+.

But go ahead and blame the refs. Good thing the coaches haven’t accepted that strategy. The fact that the team has improved shows that it was recognized as a problem and that it’s something they’ve worked on. Obviously the BY is the wrong place to try to be objective.

Reaction Score

I thought Billy Jack was Tom Laughlin. One of greatest actors of all time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom