UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is anyone worried about the dome effect and 3pt shots.
Yes. And so is Hurley. Although I will say that Miami's offense is probably more dependent on the 3 than UConn's.

One issue that all teams will face at the Final Four will be playing inside the cavernous NRG Stadium, home of the Houston Texans, and the depth perception problems it can cause for shooters.

Hurley hoped to move practice into Gampel Pavilion on Wednesday to allow the Huskies to shoot in an arena much larger than the Werth practice facility. UConn will also get a few practices and chances to shoot inside NRG, beginning on Thursday.

"I think we have guys that are confident shooters," Hurley said. "Jordan (Hawkins) thinks he's gonna make every shot, Joey (Calcaterra) thinks he's gonna make every shot. Alex is confident."

Alternate free access:

UConn men's basketball is rolling right now. Can it avoid past mistakes?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Although I will say that Miami's offense is probably more dependent on the 3 than UConn's.
Miami likes their runners and pull ups.

1680133849028.png

Reaction Score
It's a myth. This article discusses up through 2018: Analysis: College Basketball's Dome Effect Is A Myth

In the last four Final Fours, teams shot 35.6%

2022 Final Four 3pt shooting

Kansas: 19/41 (46%)
Villanova: 13/31 (42%)
Duke: 5/22 (23%)
UNC: 15/49 (31%)

2021 Final Four 3pt shooting

Baylor: 21/47 (44%)
Gonzaga: 12/38 (32%)
Houston: 6/19 (32%)
UCLA: 8/17 (47%)

2019 Final Four 3pt shooting

Virginia: 18/43 (42%)
Texas Tech: 19/53 (36%)
Michigan State: 7/24 (29%)
Auburn: 9/31 (29%)

Reaction Score
It's a myth. This article discusses up through 2018: Analysis: College Basketball's Dome Effect Is A Myth

In the last four Final Fours, teams shot 35.6%

2022 Final Four 3pt shooting

Kansas: 19/41 (46%)
Villanova: 13/31 (42%)
Duke: 5/22 (23%)
UNC: 15/49 (31%)

2021 Final Four 3pt shooting

Baylor: 21/47 (44%)
Gonzaga: 12/38 (32%)
Houston: 6/19 (32%)
UCLA: 8/17 (47%)

2019 Final Four 3pt shooting

Virginia: 18/43 (42%)
Texas Tech: 19/53 (36%)
Michigan State: 7/24 (29%)
Auburn: 9/31 (29%)
Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Miami - 20.4 3-point attempts per game, 7.5 3’s made per game
UConn - 25.1 3’s attempted per game, 9.1 3’s made per game
It’s going to be really interesting to see how Laranaga attacks UConn because they have pretty high variability in their 3 point offense. UT it was non-existent, to some extent because UT ran them off the line, but I think more so because he took advantage of Texas having absolutely no rim protection. My guess is they’re going to have to prioritize the three with our combo of athletic guards and rim protection.

Reaction Score
Not specifically about the dome, but getting cold from 3 is one factor that could kill us on Saturday.

Miami is going to have to decide where they're willing to give us shots. They could leave their big guy to defend Sanogo 1 on 1. Or they could pack the paint and force us to shoot. If the latter, we have to make shots.

Miami isn't as dependent on the 3 (though they shoot a decent percentage when they do). If their outside shots aren't falling, their guards are going to attack the midrange, something we don't really do (for good reason).

Reaction Score
It’s going to be really interesting to see how Laranaga attacks UConn because they have pretty high variability in their 3 point offense. UT it was non-existent, to some extent because UT ran them off the line, but I think more so because he took advantage of Texas having absolutely no rim protection. My guess is they’re going to have to prioritize the three with our combo of athletic guards and rim protection.

Yes, Laranaga is a really good coach. He’ll tailor what he does to the opposition. You have to be a really good coach to take George Mason to a Final Four as he did.

Reaction Score
For the golfers on the Yard who may be familiar with sports psychologist Bob Rotella.. He does not limit himself to just golfers.. Is involved in many other sports teams/sports.. And was used by Laranaga the season GM went to FF-- working with his team periodically throughout that season.

Reaction Score
Youtube's algorithm suggested a Miami podcast breakdown of the game, so I figured, why not? I'll summarize a few of the wonderful takes in this video:
  • UConn is not an athletic team (Texas is MUCH more athletic)
  • Karaban is a bad defender
  • Karaban is "just a spot up shooter" and not a threat to post up a guard or take it to the hoop if they want to stick a guard on him
  • Jackson is "surprisingly athletic for someone his size"
  • They may try to keep Omier out of foul trouble by having Miller D up Sanogo for stretches and think he can "handle" Sanogo in the paint because he handled the Texas 5 (who is a total nonfactor on offense)
So yeah, Miami is an impressive team this year for sure and a win would not shock me at all, but their fans don't no **** about basketball. Coach L, take the night off and let these two guys draw up the game plan. I'd love a 40 point win.

Reaction Score
We played Miami at Mohegan. Bynum was playing hurt, and Pack and Wong attacked him constantly. They won't be able to push around your bigger guards the same way. I can see Omier being tough against Sanogo at both ends of the court, but he struggles against height. He picks up a lot of fouls, much more so against the centers. My guess is Hurley gives Clingan minutes early to stop Omier, and have him pick up a couple of fouls.

I would say Miami is the toughest team you've played yet, but they're honestly not as good as you. An 8-12 point UConn win is reasonable, with a blowout possible if Hawkins and Newton are both hot.

Reaction Score
Youtube's algorithm suggested a Miami podcast breakdown of the game, so I figured, why not? I'll summarize a few of the wonderful takes in this video:
  • UConn is not an athletic team (Texas is MUCH more athletic)
  • Karaban is a bad defender
  • Karaban is "just a spot up shooter" and not a threat to post up a guard or take it to the hoop if they want to stick a guard on him
  • Jackson is "surprisingly athletic for someone his size"
  • They may try to keep Omier out of foul trouble by having Miller D up Sanogo for stretches and think he can "handle" Sanogo in the paint because he handled the Texas 5 (who is a total nonfactor on offense)
So yeah, Miami is an impressive team this year for sure and a win would not shock me at all, but their fans don't no **** about basketball. Coach L, take the night off and let these two guys draw up the game plan. I'd love a 40 point win.
I’d love to see Miller try to defend Sanogo. He’s 6’6”, 202 and he’d be going agains a guy who’s 6’9”, 240 and uses his size and strength to back people down in the paint. Yeah, right. Pass the popcorn, please.

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how we match up defensively to start the game. Hurley has a few options to go with.

I've seen some talk of Andre on Jordan Miller. I think that could work well, but Miller as the small ball 4 is also the natural matchup for Karaban. I think I prefer that matchup for Karaban rather than having him try to stay with the athletic 6'5 Poplar. Miller is 6'7 and quick, but I think Karaban has enough size, strength and athleticism to do a nice job. Despite scoring 27 last game, Miller only took 7 shots. I think he's going to get his buckets in the flow of the offense no matter who guards him.

The same can be said for the rest of Miami's starters. They are going to score in a balanced pick-up style offensive attack. We can try to slow them down using our height.

I think the key player for Miami that raises their ceiling is Pack. When he's on, he's a flamethrower, creating space 1 on 1 to knock down long twos and threes. If he's hitting 7-10 on threes like he did vs Houston, then we're going to be in trouble. Pack is the main reason I like Karaban on Miller. That matchup allows Andre to guard Pack. I think Andre can use his length and athleticism to bother the 6'0 Pack like he did the 6'3 Primo Spears in February.

That leaves the matchups as:

• Miller: Karaban
  • Pack: Jackson
  • Omier: Sanogo
  • Poplar: Hawkins
    • Poplar is a good player and athlete, but shoots the least of the Miami starters. I think it's a fine matchup for Hawk, and will allow him to spend most of his energy on the offensive end.
  • Wong: Newton
    • Wong is strong and quick getting into the lane and likes to use his size to pull up or pivot into turnaround jumpers. I think Newton's size can slow him down a bit.

We won't be able to shut down Miami entirely. Their guys hit shots at a high rate. But I think the above matchups can provide some defensive advantages for us. We'll see what Hurley and the staff go with Saturday. They know their guys much better than I do.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Miller try to defend Sanogo. He’s 6’6”, 202 and he’d be going agains a guy who’s 6’9”, 240 and uses his size and strength to back people down in the paint. Yeah, right. Pass the popcorn, please.
Omier is incredibly strong and gets great position, makes up for lack of size with will, strength and anticipation. But Sanogo is his toughest matchup, and he has struggled with size like against Duke. I really want to get him in foul trouble because as others have noted, they don’t really have a backup big. Clingan is gonna be a massive difference in this game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, me too. Miami has faced one true back to the basket big in the tournament (and there really weren't many in the ACC this year) against Drake, and he sort of had his way with Omier offensively. The thought of Miller trying to D up Sanogo (with Omier guarding Jackson?) makes me chuckle. One of the dumbest basketball takes I've heard in a long time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how we match up defensively to start the game. Hurley has a few options to go with.

I've seen some talk of Andre on Jordan Miller. I think that could work well, but Miller as the small ball 4 is also the natural matchup for Karaban. I think I prefer that matchup for Karaban rather than having him try to stay with the athletic 6'5 Poplar. Miller is 6'7 and quick, but I think Karaban has enough size, strength and athleticism to do a nice job. Despite scoring 27 last game, Miller only took 7 shots. I think he's going to get his buckets in the flow of the offense no matter who guards him.

The same can be said for the rest of Miami's starters. They are going to score in a balanced pick-up style offensive attack. We can try to slow them down using our height.

I think the key player for Miami that raises their ceiling is Pack. When he's on, he's a flamethrower, creating space 1 on 1 to knock down long twos and threes. If he's hitting 7-10 on threes like he did vs Houston, then we're going to be in trouble. Pack is the main reason I like Karaban on Miller. That matchup allows Andre to guard Pack. I think Andre can use his length and athleticism to bother the 6'0 Pack like he did the 6'3 Primo Spears in February.

That leaves the matchups as:

• Miller: Karaban
  • Pack: Jackson
  • Omier: Sanogo
  • Poplar: Hawkins
    • Poplar is a good player and athlete, but shoots the least of the Miami starters. I think it's a fine matchup for Hawk, and will allow him to spend most of his energy on the offensive end.
  • Wong: Newton
    • Wong is strong and quick getting into the lane and likes to use his size to pull up or pivot into turnaround jumpers. I think Newton's size can slow him down a bit.

We won't be able to shut down Miami entirely. Their guys hit shots at a high rate. But I think the above matchups can provide some defensive advantages for us. We'll see what Hurley and the staff go with Saturday. They know their guys much better than I do.
You have to at least start out with Jackson D'ing up Pack or Wong (whoever gets hot). If Karaban struggles with Miller's speed, they may have to go four guard to counteract but you cross that bridge when you get there. The key for Pack is the ball screen defense. Houston had a ton of just completely inexplicable breakdowns on screens with Pack as the ballhandler. His primary would go under the screen and the big would just sit there and make no attempt to challenge Pack. It was mystifying.

Reaction Score
One of our challenges is to keep Jackson on the floor and out of foul trouble.. In a way--We need to protect him in spots without risking silly fouls.. Could see where Alleyne could play a valuable backup role on D for both Karaban and Jackson(?) if needed.. Our bench's productivity will be huge in this game. Big Three will be fine.

Reaction Score
This is right. I was worried about the matchup with Miami's guards, but seeing how ISO focused they are has given me a bit more assurance. It's just not the way to beat our D. Basically we'd need to foul them the same way we fouled Providence the first game or just not show up like we did against St John's.
We're really not ISO focused at all. We can just go to that if we need to. We generally do action off ball screens. Norchad swallows guards leaving a big man to cover our guards from about mid top.

Our guards will try and get you in foul trouble. They aren't the biggest but they're 3 years into the weight program and have played physical teams all year. They will attack through contact, even if your guys are bigger. If your defense is sound and you don't foul, our guards will have to make really tough shots.

Wong makes tough shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom