Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see the game, but after watching the highlights and reading at least half the comments and scanning the rest, it seems clear that the main problem is that the team needs to play better.

Reaction Score
17 points on 50% FG shooting is not CW’s best, but I wouldn’t call it awful.
She isn’t a three-point threat, though. That was Geno’s emphasis in the post game interviews.

Reaction Score
Yes, but she’s playing every day against UConn in practice and Geno & Jamelle rave about her. She was the first player off the bench today, so I have to believe she earned that nod in practice. Her play so far has been baffling.
Of the three reserve guards (Aubrey, Nika) she is presumably the best three-point shooter, which he desperately needs without Azzi. Hopefully, she can get over the funk and contribute soon. The team really needs that skill right now.

Reaction Score
I was thinking along the same lines. But first a couple minor corrections: it should be "affecting" the team, not effecting. and it should be "devolve" instead of evolve.

One has to wonder if Paige's million dollar contracts are subconscientiously affecting her teammates. They wouldn't be human if they weren't a little jealous. And remember, we have very little control over our subconcientious thoughts, unless Psychology has changed since I went to school. Then again, I could certainly be overanalyzing, just something to consider.
Do you mean subconscious?
Also evolve means change over time. Devolve means get worse over time. Either word fit the posters comment.
Like the word deceleration. Negative acceleration is actually better. (Scientifically)

Reaction Score
This may not be a popular post but Uconn may not win a chip until next year when the freshmen are a year older and wiser and the sophomores are juniors and more reliable (except Paige who's the most consistent player on the team) our seniors are just not leaders who can perform at crunch time or when called upon. Azzi will need almost a year to completely heal and produce along with Aubrey. Sorry peeps but CD and Amari are not ready to play at this level yet hopefully next year they will be and, along with Ice and Ayanna who won't have the pressure of immediate expectations, the team will have more front court help. just an observation based on the team performance so far this year. We just don't seem to be motivated and/or hungry and with only 1 player with a killer instinct who's super competitive that's not a winning formula for championships but, this is good because the climb is what it's all about and until these guys understand they're still climbing and the Uconn championships were not won by them but players before them so wearing a Uconn jersey does not mean an automatic win in fact it means you're hated and despised because of the tradition and all the winning and everyone wants to beat you. They've gotta become hungry and bring it every practice, every game, everyday. That's how you win multiple championships. I really hope I'm wrong and the ladies shut me up but the eye test so says I'm right. Please share your thought as to why I'm wrong make me a believer !! But please don't say we have Geno, coach doesn't play and he seems just as frustrated with his generation Z squad who think they can tik tok their way to a chip.

Reaction Score
Caroline looks like a "deer in the headlights." In her few 1st half minutes, she dribbled the ball off her foot, committed a silly foul and shot up an airball. :(
Maybe Saylor is thinking she bailed too fast?

Reaction Score
Dorka had 10 rebounds in 15 minutes PT. She led the team in rebounding in very little PT. She had around 11 rebounds a game in the big ten. She is the solution to the rebounding issue. She absolutely should get more PT.

Caroline had a tough day for sure but she still played a total of 5 minutes. We need to play the bench more in order to work out the kinks. We were up by over 20 points with 5 minutes to go. We need to have more faith in the subs than to play the staters until the last 2-3 minutes on games like today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dorka had 10 rebounds in 15 minutes PT. She led the team in rebounding in very little PT. She had around 11 rebounds a game in the big ten. She is the solution to the rebounding issue. She absolutely should get more PT.

Caroline had a tough day for sure but she still played a total of 5 minutes. We need to play the bench more in order to work out the kinks. We were up by over 20 points with 5 minutes to go. We need to have more faith in the subs than to play the staters until the last 2-3 minutes on games like today.
Probably since she missed going to the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
one of my complaints is the crying for fouls. I get a lot of other teams do this as well but there was nothing wrong in that arm to the face Paige received. Why Geno was losing it when in the replay you can watch it was an accident.

Reaction Score
Nika and AE have regressed a lot. The three freshmen were the keys to success for the last year. I don't expect AE will be like that in her 2nd year.
UConn is hard to be #2 if they are playing like tonight.

Reaction Score
Sage wisdom!
Like some others on this BY. I dig deep into my old time BB playing, watch 30 years of Geno, PAT, Mulkey, and lots of newbies and I ask Is it reality or the view from the cheap seats: SC, even UT, I believe ND, maybe Duke will too but it appears that all those team recruit from the near same pools Geno does. They seem to put pretty good kids on their teams into games early and often. With few exception, (reality?) their kids play basketball, defend, and score as Freshmen if not freshmen surely as Sophs. If by their junior years they don't play a lot they are gone. Reality?
As a gym rat kid, I'd walk 10 miles (ok only 3) to play a game. Players score, defend, pass properly, understand teammates, play with a flow , the point is Players are players regardless of the team . (Reality?) I tend to believe the way Paige plays, except for the scoring talent, players should play. So, dig into your turban and pull out a card, is any of the above true or perception or just plain bull??
Really, they look like they’ve never played together.
Looks like Nika wants it and came on with energy- but her shots-not falling.
That, I can deal with, she’s not a scorer- but how about 40%?
Often on our offensive end - player picks up the dribble and there one to pass to- same thing after receiving a pass-no where to move the ball- followed by pointless dribbling while the play freezes-shot clock ticks- panic sets in.
I’m not sure CW understands her role.
And all of the traveling calls ( team)-those calls freak me out- it’s just like taking the ball and flinging it out of bounds- same result.
I agree that players just want to play- but I feel a lack of enjoyment with this group.
The starting team, as now constructed, not playing the quality of ball that will take them deep into the tournament.
The next game against ND May be a turning point- but which way?
Will be very telling.
Glad we won’t have to wait long.

Reaction Score
Negativity abounds after a 25 point win. It is very unusual for fan expectations to be steeped in reality and Uconn fans are no different.
Ono and Williams are what they are, good players but after three years many still expect them to be something they are not. Westbrook, in my mind is much the same, a good player. Edwards appears to be much the same player as last year, I see little improvement, certainly none in the energy department. All four have holes in their games and are prone to disappear at times.
Bueckers to me has improved significantly, significantly, especially on defense. On offense, she also seems to understand that she needs to look for her own shot and she is doing it much more than last year.
So the bench, and here is where I think Auriemma’s major weakness is showing. The idea of earning time in practice is fine, obviously, but what that means exactly is different to different people. If Ducharme has the skills he has said she has, and hustles and shows those skills in practice then she needs to get minutes to relax and get comfortable on the court. Not at crunch time, but what exactly is the purpose giving 30 to 30+ minutes to four starters in a 25 point blowout? Now one could make the argument that was because of the 11 day layoff but I don’t buy it, that coaching style has been Auriemma’s MO for a long time.
Nika Muhl has also shown, in limited opportunities, to be much the same player as last year. To those who want to judge players by their scoring, she should never get a minute at this level. But there is more to the game than scoring and that is where IMO, her value lies. First, her defense, her energy and aggressiveness; in the minutes she was in the game last night, Park-Lane did next to nothing, Seton Hall’s offense started a couple of feet further out or became bogged down trying to get the ball to her again after she gave it up. I would be remiss if I didn’t note that Bueckers also hounded her very, very effectively when she was on her. Which brings me to my second point regarding Muhl, and it directly concerns Bueckers; it is VERY difficult to have a true team offensive flow when your point guard is also your primary scorer, never mind the effort Bueckers expends on defense and rebounding. I usually don’t go there but late in the game Bueckers went to the ground near one of the benches in a scrum with a SHU player and I couldn’t help but think what a disaster it would be if she got hurt late still on the court in a blowout. I think moving Bueckers over to the 2 is a move that would best serve the team on several levels and have thought and posted that more than once.
Which brings me to Fudd. I have no idea how good she is or can be. I don’t care what she did in HS, in four games at this level she had one great stand still shooting game and did little else in the other three, while showing to be a major liability on defense. Now that very well may be because of injuries, or maybe the several injuries she evidently has had has slowed her down to the point she is just not quick enough to be effective at this level as anything other than a stand still shooter. For any who take offense, I will be the first to say that four games is absolutely nowhere near enough to make anything resembling a solid opinion, it is nothing more than a first impression.
For anyone else on the team, how can anyone judge them since they don’t play?
In short, my feeling is to develop depth and team chemistry you need to play depth and stop chasing “the perfect game”. Players need to sometimes play through mistakes, especially young players and I think it is very counter productive to let starters play through mistakes, many the same over and over, while yanking reserves after any and all.

Reaction Score
Caroline looks like a "deer in the headlights." In her few 1st half minutes, she dribbled the ball off her foot, committed a silly foul and shot up an airball. :(
Lots of pressure on these new comers to produce immediately. As I recall Geno praised both her and Saylor when they committed, and Geno raved about Caroline during pre season practice. That’s crests big expectations and an awful lot of pressure on an 18 year old.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I love Nika and I know others do as well. She decided to not play for her National team to come here and work out for UConn. The question is, WHAT did she work on? I was sure she would have worked on hitting pull ups in the lane, or finishing up at the basket. I am so disappointed in her, not only is she still refusing to finish in the lane, but her overall play has seemed to corrode. Either the coaches cannot see what we see, or she isn't willing to change her game. Come on Nika, lets get with it.

Reaction Score
Nika and AE have regressed a lot. The three freshmen were the keys to success for the last year. I don't expect AE will be like that in her 2nd year.
UConn is hard to be #2 if they are playing like tonight.
I cautioned when ppl made a big deal about Edwards practicing with the Canada national team. That #1 she was going to fall behind with her Uconn team. #2 She did not play any meaningful time in the Olympics. Practice is not the same as game action, I will always stand by that statement.

Reaction Score
Of the three reserve guards (Aubrey, Nika) she is presumably the best three-point shooter, which he desperately needs without Azzi. Hopefully, she can get over the funk and contribute soon. The team really needs that skill right now.
I keep reading how Aubrey is a guard. When did this happen? She was strong on defense last year when guarding wings and smaller bigs but quick guards blew by her. Against smaller teams, she was outstanding getting offensive rebounds but also could not play outside (as guards normally do) without bogging down the offensive flow. Still a big Aubrey fan but don't see her helping guard depth.

Reaction Score
I've been one of those hoping to see more time for Caroline, but she was clearly shaky tonight.

I would just note that Geno is unlikely to send his 11th or 12th best player into the game just three minutes in if she weren't showing lots of potential in practice. She's got a ways to go before making it happen in games, but to this point she's played a total of 24 minutes.

I'm still betting she'll pleasantly surprise her detractors.
I hope I am wrong and premature in my call, but with the exception of Azzi, the incoming UConn class appears overhyped. The infusion of talent from last year in the women’s game may have been an anomaly. Beuckers, Clark, Reese, Brink, Diamond Johnson and a few others are exceptional talents. They don’t come around often.

I hope the expectation that this team will be ten deep is put to bed. At best, it will be an 8-man rotation. Ideally, when the team has its full complement, and receiving steady contribution from everyone, UConn will be able to survive an off night from Paige. Thankfully, that seldom happens.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Could not have said it any better about Caroline. With a fully healthy team, right now, Caroline might be the 11th or 12th Player on this team.
It’s worse than that. The freshman class was supposedly the number one or two class in the country. We are getting close to no production out of that class. Understanding that Fudd isn’t healthy, one has already transferred and aside from Ducharme, DeBerry hasn’t played. Is she injured too? And from last year‘s class, Gabriel rarely plays so between her and DeBerry that’s two centers who are non existent and throw in McClean whose skills are more in line with bigger players and thats a whole lot of non benefit. And yet UConn is top 5 so far but doesn’t look the part. Maybe it’s not fair to compare them to past UConn teams that were so dominant in a world that’s become far more competitive, but having virtually half the roster being non contributors is an obvious problem. Hopefully in Caroline‘s case it’s just a matter of needing more floor time to feel comfortable. Our schedule is front loaded with better teams, making the transition from high school a bit harder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom