Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Reaction Score
Just caught the game and man was it ugly. It doesn’t look like we returned a final four team at all. They should be much further along than they are and I’m not sure what the excuse is.

The chemistry is horrible. Guards not named Paige are showing that they are still very inconsistent. AE with a handful of turnovers over travels. Nika looks worse than she did last year and can’t seem to hit a shot. I’m a little concerned with Paige’s 3 point shooting this season so far, I’d like to see her pick it up; however she’s not the problem at all.

I didn’t mind Liv and Dorka’s play. I thought Liv had a decent outing and had some nice moves. She missed a few shots, but I liked the footwork I saw. Dorka was forgettable but she did grab 10 rebounds so that’s something. AE looked a little better tonight, but still not back to her old self.

Caroline clearly doing a lot right in practice to be the first off the bench tonight, but it isn’t translating into games. I can’t wait to see when it does.

This team could really use Aubrey’s spark off the bench.

Reaction Score
And this team will execute better overall if they have a healthy and hopefully decent enough defender in Azzi Fudd.

It's the same story as last year. The guards other than Paige can't consistently hit outside shots. As a result, UCONN can’t consistently open up the lane and can’t consistently work on their inside players getting enough touches to improve much. Then what it means is that because UICONN doesn’t have any consistency from the perimeter other than Paige, then Paige is forced to play a lot of minutes.

Being a 1 dimensional team is not solved by becoming a 2 dimensional team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sum of youse sound a bit loopy, with ur 'expectations.'
against a competitive team, at their place, we won by 3 touchdowns and a field goal.
more importantly, and for the first time ever, this season in cbb will be less predictable cuz of all that covid/transfer/7th year senior stuff. that's a lot of moving parts and extra experience being sprinkled all around. take ur average wcbb player. the vast majority have no expectation when they begin school, to play much after college. now give them another season out of the blue. amped would be their thoughts, im guessing.

and oh, dorka had 10 boards. but u knew that, amiright?

Reaction Score
1 Dorka is better around the rim and not a passer from the elbow.
2. Aaliyah is better than she is playing 5 turnovers is too many. Reaching for rebounds versus getting a better early position
3. Liv is our rim protector and is a good elbow passer. She is playing tougher so far this year. She has been finishing better. Yeah
4. Evina didn't have a good game tonight after playing well previously.
5. CW is a good player but not great. We got players with ratings. Give me Park lane anytime
6. Paige is the best player in the country again. Geno did a good job getting her rest at the end of quarters. Tremendous defensive effort. Her anticipation for steals is a pleasure to watch.
7. Caroline, Dorka, and Fudd will give us depth. Aubrey if healthy will as well.
On #3–Ono passes on shots she SHOULD be taking, but lacks the confidence to sink.
On #5-CW chances of being AA are rapidly slipping away

Reaction Score
Throughout the summer, we all gushed about how deep this team is. Well Geno made it official tonight, we have no depth. :confused: More proof that you can’t believe the some of the hype sold here in the yard.
Sage wisdom!
Like some others on this BY. I dig deep into my old time BB playing, watch 30 years of Geno, PAT, Mulkey, and lots of newbies and I ask Is it reality or the view from the cheap seats: SC, even UT, I believe ND, maybe Duke will too but it appears that all those team recruit from the near same pools Geno does. They seem to put pretty good kids on their teams into games early and often. With few exception, (reality?) their kids play basketball, defend, and score as Freshmen if not freshmen surely as Sophs. If by their junior years they don't play a lot they are gone. Reality?
As a gym rat kid, I'd walk 10 miles (ok only 3) to play a game. Players score, defend, pass properly, understand teammates, play with a flow , the point is Players are players regardless of the team . (Reality?) I tend to believe the way Paige plays, except for the scoring talent, players should play. So, dig into your turban and pull out a card, is any of the above true or perception or just plain bull??

Reaction Score
Also wanted to add...that some players get shooting rhythm by dribbling into a shot. Others...can catch and shoot. Few...do both well. UCONN has an abundance of guards who like or have been accustomed to having the ball in their hand. The others who don't need that...are injured Freshman or... on the bench (Ducharme). Paige and CW are the few...AND they can penetrate to the rim...AND FINISH. Everyone gets better when they adjust their skills to fit around these two players. If you play for UCONN...you make those kinds of sacrifices.

Reaction Score
Could not have said it any better about Caroline. With a fully healthy team, right now, Caroline might be the 11th or 12th Player on this team.
I've been one of those hoping to see more time for Caroline, but she was clearly shaky tonight.

I would just note that Geno is unlikely to send his 11th or 12th best player into the game just three minutes in if she weren't showing lots of potential in practice. She's got a ways to go before making it happen in games, but to this point she's played a total of 24 minutes.

I'm still betting she'll pleasantly surprise her detractors.

Reaction Score
Does this team look a bit like the 2019-20 team? Except replace Crystal Dangerfield with Paige Bueckers?

Reaction Score
Being a 1 dimensional team is not solved by becoming a 2 dimensional team.
They won't be one dimensional. Because Azzi and Paige combined hit outside shots then the inside game will improve because the bigs will have less clutter. And then this will allow CWill to play to more of her strength of slashing. That's what one more player that can drill outside shots can do.

Reaction Score
how did everyone feel CW played

I thought she played well. She went back to being a slasher an attacked the basket more. She wasn't forcing shots. Defensively, she played decently. I saw where so folks were being critical of her shooting an airball. A airball. Big Deal. I mean she is a shooter. She has to measure a shot. I am just glad that she is able to block out the noise and play her game which is being aggressive on the offensive and defensive end.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well not much to say. Everybody in this thread has said it. I will say its our 5th game with a long layoff. Our seniors will step it up. We had 4 players in double digits and Dorka had 10 rebounds. When your working on new things especially with 9 freshman and sophs its gonna get ugly before it gets pretty. We've got the talent now we have to wait for it to develop.

Reaction Score
I agree with the deacon on Caroline. The problems are nuissance errors and they could happen to anyone, especially when starting out ijn college basketball but she clearly has potential.. I noticed she boxed out well and I don't think her defense was bad. Give her MORE time, not less. She will be fine and frankly, she better be fine because I see Dorka and Caroline as the only good options off the bench right now. Nika is not the solution. If we have a real hope of winning it all we need Caroline and Azzi to get fully integrated into college basketball. Dorka is the rebound solution if she gets PT. I think she should get equal time with both Edwards and Ododa.

Reaction Score
17 points on 50% FG shooting is not CW’s best, but I wouldn’t call it awful.
She's not likely to change her game at this point, but I would have hoped for more than three rebounds and one assist from Christyn in 36 minutes, She will score ponts, but her all-around game is just not a truly high caliber.

Reaction Score
Poor decision making, and there seem to be a chemistry problem which surprises me. I haven’t seen a UConn team look this bad and confused since the Charde years.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Packed. Sold seats maybe but half empty. HS gym stage on one end the framing for the second level right behind the basket on the other end.

Reaction Score
Some might say that the coaches are just not getting the players to play with any intensity, but others might Shea it's not that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Y'all are negative as hell. This is the fifth game! We will be ok!
It isn’t neagative to point out clear issues:
Lack of toughness
Lack of low post play
Continued missed layups!
Horrible long-range shooting
Turnovers
Losing 50-50 balls
etc
All of this doesn’t apply to PB, and one could argue that without Paige we are not a top 25 team.
Any talk of AA players other than PB seems delusional.

Reaction Score
How lucky are we that we have a miraculous player in Paige to watch...truly a generational player (and now she becomes really really good on defense as well)! The rest of the team (at least in this game)...meh...very disappointing game...why our post players can't finish under the basket? It seems to me that against such as SH, Boston would score 30 points...what happened to the Nika from the second part of last season? what happened to Edwards? where is the sophomore growth from freshmen?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom