Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Reaction Score
The cupcakes are the regular season BE opponents.
Scheduling ‘cupcakes’ out of conference would reduce UCONN’s strength of schedule rating to just above zero.
For the benefit of team development, put rookies in against top out of conference teams, see what they’ve got and see what they need.
I’d rather go into the tourney with a 20-7 team ready to ball and brawl than a 26-1 team that rarely felt the heat.

Reaction Score
The best I can say is we are consistently inconsistent. At the beginning of every game I keep hoping for aggressiveness from every player, but it doesn’t happen.

I would like to see one clear leader on the team. Perhaps have a players only meeting to sort through some things. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Nika is not a "go to" scorer, never was, never will be. However, when Nika got into the game I thought she played very good defense. Park Lane did next to nothing when Nika was in there. Did Nika shut her down single handedly? No course not, but the fact is, for those minutes Park Lane was ineffective. Nika does need to fix the fouling problem, but she had that problem early last year too and she was able to at least minimize it.

Speaking of Park Lane, there have been discussions about height on this board, i.e. some recruit is too short, another recruit is better because she's an inch taller. Consider Park Lane, maybe height isn't everything.

Reaction Score
I would respectfully suggest that we have 1 clear leader on the team, but it would be much better if Paige wasn’t the “Lone Ranger,” and got more help from her teammates. Where the hell is Tonto?
I would agree that Paige is the natural team leader, but she is trying to lead the team by example, but they don’t appear to be following. A senior needs to step up and be the bad guy. (Or Tonto)

Reaction Score
Nika is not a "go to" scorer, never was, never will be. However, when Nika got into the game I thought she played very good defense. Park Lane did next to nothing when Nika was in there. Did Nika shut her down single handedly? No course not, but the fact is, for those minutes Park Lane was ineffective. Nika does need to fix the fouling problem, but she had that problem early last year too and she was able to at least minimize it.

Speaking of Park Lane, there have been discussions about height on this board, i.e. some recruit is too short, another recruit is better because she's an inch taller. Consider Park Lane, maybe height isn't everyt
IMO, Height ISN'T everything. Park Lane is exceptionally quick, just as MoJeff and Crystal D were! Both of those past UCONN players would embarrass defenders trying to guard them.

Reaction Score
Well South Carolina beat Kansas State 65 - 44, so we are really not to bad.
If Azzi and Aubrey are healthy we will be OK.
SC was up about 30 and Dawn emptied the bench. Henderson did not play and Amihere was the starting point guard. However, Amihere did well.

Reaction Score
I would agree that Paige is the natural team leader, but she is trying to lead the team by example, but they don’t appear to be following leading. A senior needs to step up and be the bad guy. (Or Tonto)
There, I fixed it for you. Christyn and Liv have never been leaders, and so far, have not shown even an inkling that they will be, in their final year. But that's ok. Not everyone can be a leader. What we need is for Geno to find a way to stop their 'dependency' on Paige. Like Geno said in his interview, the shooter should always think that their shot is going in and the rest should always think its not going in! Too many on the team are just standing around, like deer in the headlights, instead of positioning themselves for the rebound.

Reaction Score
SC was up about 30 and Dawn emptied the bench. Henderson did not play and Amihere was the starting point guard. However, Amihere did well.
Amihere won't be point guard for long. No way she can guard speedy SEC guards.

Reaction Score
I coached girls HS bb for 17 yrs. I’m not saying that it compares to college or UConn level however, as a coach you have to coach your players up!! Some of my best years coaching my players believed that I believed in them and they would go to the ends of the earth for me and team. When a player isn’t afraid to make a mistake for fear of being benched they played more freely. This teams offense isn’t flowing right now and players look hesitant.
Coach em up Geno!

Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of going by the final score..........unless it's close. Because, like you said, many from the bench see those final minutes (on both teams), so it makes it too hard to assess.

Reaction Score
Understood.
Interesting numbers from last nights action:

SOUTH CAROLINA- won by 21 points
12 players saw action.
Non starters got 79 minutes

UCONN-won by 25 points
9 players saw action.
Non starters got 41 minutes

So SC won by a smaller margin but non starters saw nearly TWICE as much playing time as UConn’s.

I realize that one game is merely a snapshot, but this is a trend at UConn,and has been for quite some time.
You know how they used to teach young Spartans to swim in Ancient Greece?
They’d throw them in the deep end.
You survive, you’re closer to becoming a Spartan Warrior.
( little extreme, but you get my point?)

Reaction Score
This entire thread is a joke. The moment CW scores another 30 ball, the comments will shift. We are the only team that has played 5 games besides Iowa. Imagine playing a 3 games back to back, having 3 hard practices and not playing for 10 days. You’d be a little off too. One thing these “fans” don’t ever mention is that CW steps up in post conference play 2/2 times that she’s been able to play in it. She has plenty of opportunity to prove to herself (proving to these negative “fans” don’t really matter) that she is capable of scoring. I’ll take 50% from the field after a long stretch of no games and she created for herself. This blog is sad.

Reaction Score
And another thing. We could put this very same team with the same effort against ND and beat them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would agree that Paige is the natural team leader, but she is trying to lead the team by example, but they don’t appear to be following. A senior needs to step up and be the bad guy. (Or Tonto)
Agreed. I worry some that Paige is starting to feel the pressure to carry this team in the same way that DT carried the team her jr & sr years, ultimately leading to something of an emotional meltdown by DT.

Over the past 2 games there has been one thing missing from Paige’s game imo…Joy. Paige is one of the most exuberant players I’ve ever seen. Over the past few games she’s been all business. That would be fine if we were talking about Maya Moore, but it seems unnatural for Paige.

Reaction Score
This entire thread is a joke. The moment CW scores another 30 ball, the comments will shift. We are the only team that has played 5 games besides Iowa. Imagine playing a 3 games back to back, having 3 hard practices and not playing for 10 days. You’d be a little off too. One thing these “fans” don’t ever mention is that CW steps up in post conference play 2/2 times that she’s been able to play in it. She has plenty of opportunity to prove to herself (proving to these negative “fans” don’t really matter) that she is capable of scoring. I’ll take 50% from the field after a long stretch of no games and she created for herself. This blog is sad.
SC played the same 3 games back to back and kept playing 2 more games after that. I love this team, but we constantly make excuses for the bad play. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
No offense, but, how can you say that this thread is a joke? It’s why we are all here! We talk / banter about things we see in games, practice, etc…. Isn’t that why you are here as well? Secondly, why do you think Geno benched Christyn? Was it because she was mentally playing her best? Of course she is “capable” of scoring. All of our starters are. But, sans Paige, no one takes charge or goes into a game like they actually want to win it. It seems to me that most of our games, including last year, we start out slow, waiting for Paige to take over. Christyn and the others need to change their mental attitude, or else we will be hoping for a NC NEXT year and not this one.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Park Lane, there have been discussions about height on this board, i.e. some recruit is too short, another recruit is better because she's an inch taller. Consider Park Lane, maybe height isn't everything.

Park Lane scored 20 pts on 5-17 shooting (2-8 from 3) so it's not like she was great. If CW had that stat, people here would complain how bad she played.

Reaction Score
Just watched the game and have to say, Paige is great, but overall no one else looks to have improved at all from last year, and the newcomers have not added very much (so far).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Park Lane scored 20 pts on 5-17 shooting (2-8 from 3) so it's not like she was great. If CW had that stat, people here would complain how bad she played.
You make a good point. While we UConn fans are all wringing our hands over a sloppy and inconsistent offensive effort, it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that the Huskies held a relatively talented SH team to only 49 pts on 28% shooting with a 20+ edge in rebounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom