Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Lot of y'all are so negative. Be thankful you have Paige. That's all I have to say.
Huh..while I'm not on the negative side....I think that's the problem right there. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Agree that Liv’s double dribble to start the game was a head-scratcher, but Liv did some good things as well. Caroline dribbling off her foot, committing dumb fouls and throwing up an Airball, all in just a few minutes, reminded me of some of the kids who played in my son’s YMCA league when he was 8 yrs old.
Ouch, Oldude. When I checked last, Caroline is a Huskies freshman. That's a pretty tough comparison...

Reaction Score
Understood.
Interesting numbers from last nights action:

SOUTH CAROLINA- won by 21 points
12 players saw action.
Non starters got 79 minutes

UCONN-won by 25 points
9 players saw action.
Non starters got 41 minutes

So SC won by a smaller margin but non starters saw nearly TWICE as much playing time as UConn’s.

I realize that one game is merely a snapshot, but this is a trend at UConn,and has been for quite some time.
You know how they used to teach young Spartans to swim in Ancient Greece?
They’d throw them in the deep end.
You survive, you’re closer to becoming a Spartan Warrior.
( little extreme, but you get my point?)
I watched Colorado go 8-0 immediately after the UConn game, also winning by 25, though it could have been more. Everyone played. Starters played 81 minutes. Granted it was a weak opponent and Colorado has four players who might be called the sixth (so)man and traditionally subs early and frequently. Midway through the first quarter all five on the floor were bench players but bench players were mixed in with starters thru this and earlier games and got 119 minutes. Yes, their coach thought it was not their best game but a bench player led team in scoring and third string pg scored 10. That prepares a team for tough PAC-12 competition. So let Caroline play through mistakes, put Amari in, is Mir for real? Let’s find out. So we win by 10 or 15, so what?

Reaction Score
Huh..while I'm not on the negative side....I think that's the problem right there. Just saying.
You guys have 99% more talentt than all d1 schools, you have players on the bench that would start in 99% of other d1 schools, not sure why you need to be negative after a 20+ point blowout. You have one of the best players in the country.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
As I said I'm not being negative..I've looked at it more of team chemistry and mindsets not where they need to be as a team. Yes we have the best player in the country but I need to see all that talent executing outside of the best player. High expectations..definately - they set themselves up there with the "unfinished business" talk so I don't think it's negative or unreasonable to have certain expectations. As you point out there's all that talent. Just saying

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The UConn staff and players should watch the Seton Hall vs St. John game. St. John, with players not as talented as UConn's, had no trouble, none, running their offense against Seton Hall. They scored nearly 80 points and won easily. Espinoza-Hunter played and made little difference. For those of you who still tout UConn's offense as effective, it is not against the better teams. It seems they know how to stop it. Some of the lesser teams slow seems to have solved it. Either that or UConn's seniors should feel bad that they have not mastered it yet because they truly struggle running it. That has been the case for the past two seasons. They have trouble getting Westbrook and Williams open shots. IMO, something needs to change. Just saying.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Understood.
Interesting numbers from last nights action:

SOUTH CAROLINA- won by 21 points
12 players saw action.
Non starters got 79 minutes

UCONN-won by 25 points
9 players saw action.
Non starters got 41 minutes

So SC won by a smaller margin but non starters saw nearly TWICE as much playing time as UConn’s.

I realize that one game is merely a snapshot, but this is a trend at UConn,and has been for quite some time.
You know how they used to teach young Spartans to swim in Ancient Greece?
They’d throw them in the deep end.
You survive, you’re closer to becoming a Spartan Warrior.
( little extreme, but you get my point?)
I know, right? In the important part of this is that the rosters are identical, so the comparison of the bench minutes to the starters minutes is absolutely meaningful and on point.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know, right? In the important part of this is that the rosters are identical, so the comparison of the bench minutes to the starters minutes is absolutely meaningful and on point.
Azzi and Aubrey are injured.

Mir, Piath and Amari apparently are way down on the depth chart and will be likely to stay there until Geno feels Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka don’t need as many minutes. I think he’s concentrating on those three right now to give UConn an important post presence but when they’re close to where he wants them, he can rotate in the less experienced players.

Also, Geno has said many times he doesn’t like to play someone unless he has an idea what to expect from them in a game. He most likely doesn’t want to get the team in a groove then knock it out of kilter with someone dribbling off their foot or making goofy fouls. For now, he’s trying to get his starters to stop doing that. One thing at a time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Azzi and Aubrey are injured.

Mir, Piath and Amari apparently are way down on the depth chart and will be likely to stay there until Geno feels Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka don’t need as many minutes. I think he’s concentrating on those three right now to give UConn an important post presence but when they’re close to where he wants them, he can rotate in the less experienced players.

Also, Geno has said many times he doesn’t like to play someone unless he has an idea what to expect from them in a game. He most likely doesn’t want to get the team in a groove then knock it out of kilter with someone dribbling off their foot or making goofy fouls. For now, he’s trying to get his starters to stop doing that. One thing at a time.
For what it’s worth Nan, my post with sarcasm.

Reaction Score
I said this in an earlier thread after the SC game and some self professed geniuses saw fit to make some snide comments. Geno just said it in the post game interview.

If it wasnt for Paige Bueckers, this team wouldn’t even be in the top 5. Bueckers will be worn out by midseason.

The recruits are underwhelming.
Okay, but I’m not that high on the veterans either. Remember when we used to have a couple (or more) AAs year after year? I don’t see even a second all-BE first team member right now. Hopefully I’ll have to eat my words after the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom