2020 Recruiting: - Seth Towns grad transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Seth Towns grad transfer

Reaction Score
i'm interested to see if you can project the top 10 rotation players for 2020 if hurley can bring in both a guy like cliff, and towns. then you'd realize how stacked the roster is and why towns is worth the risk/reward. his presence would raise the ceiling all the more and his absence would barely put a dent in the floor. no more than 10 guys should get meaningful PT anyways.

Wasting a scholarship is about the opportunity cost of not that year, but the lost development time. In 3 years, do you want a junior in that scholarship or a freshman plus 2 years of a guy who suited up a rusty 6 games total?

Reaction Score
That's BS and you know it. If we sign him and he never plays a game this fan base will sing a different song.

How else would you propose the last scholarship be used?

Reaction Score
I'm very curious to hear how much Towns could help next year and if the injury will hold him back. If he's completely healthy and ready to play like he has before then definitely bring him in.
I think he's at the level of talent where you bring him in at all costs. Likely all a moot point because he's gonna end up somewhere much better than here

Reaction Score
Wasting a scholarship is about the opportunity cost of not that year, but the lost development time. In 3 years, do you want a junior in that scholarship or a freshman plus 2 years of a guy who suited up a rusty 6 games total?

goes without saying it depends on who the alternative to towns is. no one arguing hurley should take towns over a guy like cliff.

Reaction Score
This is nothing tangible. But if we passed on him I think we’d regret it
Possibly but we've past on a lot of guys we later regretted. I just dont see it as too big a deal because I think our front court will be in really good shape going forward. Polley and Jackson should be solid at the 3, Akok,Whalley and Springs at the 4 and Carlton, Ferguson and Springs at the 5. If I could get a healthy Towns this season id jump on that in a heartbeat but next year and beyond I think well be fine if we miss out on him.

Reaction Score
goes without saying it depends on who the alternative to towns is. no one arguing hurley should take towns over a guy like cliff.
If given a choice why take Towns over Cliff?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i'm interested to see if you can project the top 10 rotation players for 2020 if hurley can bring in both a guy like cliff, and towns. then you'd realize how stacked the roster is and why towns is worth the risk/reward. his presence would raise the ceiling all the more and his absence would barely put a dent in the floor. no more than 10 guys should get meaningful PT anyways.

I don't understand how anyone can argue against bringing him in if he will come and if his injury is at least likely healed. Here are my reasons why:

1. He's a winner. Out team needs a veteran leader who is a winner. (He's likely smart too)
2. He's a versatile do everything basketball player at 6'7". He shoots, he dribbles, penetrates, passes he's a complete basketball player. We desperately need that kind of player.
3. Jackson will be a freshman. Sure he looks great. But we were excited about Sid and many thought he'd start freshman year. Suggesting Andre is a plug in starter is a very big stretch. Learning from Towns would help him. Polley is terrible at the SF position and is a better stretch 4.
4. We are out of time to start winning. No freshman we are likely to get (maybe Cliff) is going to have anywhere near the impact on winning in 2020-21 that Towns could have.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If given a choice why take Towns over Cliff?

It's arguably a greater area of need. We are adding a 7' guy in Javonte Brown Ferguson and a 6'9-10" guy in Springs. I'm assuming Carlton will return. Akok is absolutely starting at the 4 next year. So while I like Cliff's build and physicality, is Hurley going to use him? If he's going to run the offense and defense the way he does this year, Javonte Brown Ferguson may be better than Cliff in that system.

Reaction Score
It's arguably a greater area of need. We are adding a 7' guy in Javonte Brown Ferguson and a 6'9-10" guy in Springs. I'm assuming Carlton will return. Akok is absolutely starting at the 4 next year. So while I like Cliff's build and physicality, is Hurley going to use him? If he's going to run the offense and defense the way he does this year, Javonte Brown Ferguson may be better than Cliff in that system.
You didnt explain how Towns is a better fit. Btw imo if Cliff comes here he would start.

Reaction Score
This is pretty simple, if Cliff and Towns both want to come here you take both. You show Cliff tapes from the past few games and he knows he will be starting down low.

Reaction Score
Well he’s better than Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson, and Springs, so yes Hurley would use him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cliff would earn the starting job in practice. We do have lots of big depth, but the best player will win out. Cliff is the best player.

Reaction Score
You take Towns in a minute. Even if the unlikely happens and cliff wants to come here another scholarship will open upcome here

Reaction Score
Can everyone who wants Towns repeat after me:
1). He hasn't played in a game since the 2017-2018 season, where he averaged 16 points and 5.7 rebounds in the Ivy League. He hasn't played in a game in 2 years!
2). He's having his 2nd knee surgery in 2 years. 2nd knee surgery in 2 years!

It's not like he's freaking LeBron James. Would he help if he was completely healthy and wasn't out the last 2 seasons? Heck yeah. But what's the chance he brings what he did 2 years ago to UConn?

Again, just my opinion based on the facts we know. I'll trust the coaching staff to make the proper decision based on complete information, which we don't have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting reaction in this thread - I seem to remember not so long ago how much criticism there was about recruiting injured/injury prone players. This guy hasn't played in 2 years and just had knee surgery - are we really that desperate as a fan base that we will waste a 2 year scholarship onan unknown. Sure when healthy he was good - but how long will rehab take and will he still be the same player?
And dont tell me this is different than Durham, Gilbert or Diarra

And who can forget Kassoum Yakwe?

Reaction Score
1). He hasn't played in a game since the 2017-2018 season, where he averaged 16 points and 5.7 rebounds in the Ivy League. He hasn't played in a game in 2 years!

It's not like he's freaking LeBron James. Would he help if he was completely healthy and wasn't out the last 2 seasons? Heck yeah. But what's the chance he brings what he did 2 years ago to UConn?

Again, just my opinion based on the facts we know. I'll trust the coaching staff to make the proper decision based on complete information, which we don't have.
I don't understand how anyone can argue against bringing him in if he will come and if his injury is at least likely healed. Here are my reasons why:

1. He's a winner. Out team needs a veteran leader who is a winner. (He's likely smart too)
2. He's a versatile do everything basketball player at 6'7". He shoots, he dribbles, penetrates, passes he's a complete basketball player. We desperately need that kind of player.
3. Jackson will be a freshman. Sure he looks great. But we were excited about Sid and many thought he'd start freshman year. Suggesting Andre is a plug in starter is a very big stretch. Learning from Towns would help him. Polley is terrible at the SF position and is a better stretch 4.
4. We are out of time to start winning. No freshman we are likely to get (maybe Cliff) is going to have anywhere near the impact on winning in 2020-21 that Towns could have.
I am not saying Towns won't win where he ends up. However a 36-24 record in his two years without an NIT win doesn't scream winner at the college level. Simply going to Harvard and graduating doesn't make you a winner in life or anything else. He was part of a highly highly touted Harvard recruiting class that underachieved. There is speculation Towns was just gaming the system @ Harvard with the full intent to secure 2 years of eligibility as a grad transfer elsewhere. His whole rehab (if you want to call it that) and timing of various steps in the recovery process lead me to believe the rumors may have some merit.

It will be interesting to follow Bryce Aiken the rest of the season. I do think Aiken will play again because the only reports have been a sprained ankle. I think and I am guessing he has played maybe in five games this year? He hasn't been in the lineup lately. He is probably weighing his options.

In fairness to both though the culture surrounding the program (IL) enables this. No question his name will put him at the top of the Grad Transfer market due to his Freshman year stats and 4* status out of high school. He should be able to choose anywhere. Maybe another coach can bring out that dawg in him that in my opinion was clearly missing at Harvard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I completely get the skepticism but I can't stress enough how good I think Towns is. Half a season of him in 2 years I think is worth it, and I would be willing to bet he gives us more than that

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You didnt explain how Towns is a better fit. Btw imo if Cliff comes here he would start.

And everyone thought Sid would start. And Bouknight. Cliff is a 4 star. He’s not Wiseman. he might not even beat out Javonte Brown Ferguson or Springs, let alone Carlton. You think DH is going to sit a senior who has started two years? Maybe, but it’s not his normal approach.

Our weakest position, by a wide margin, is small forward. Yes, Jackson is coming but he will be a freshman. Towns gives us ball handling, shooting, rebounding and passing at the 3. Currently Polley gives us just shooting and Sid just rebounding.

That said, both would certainly be fine. I do think we will see a transfer

Reaction Score
And everyone thought Sid would start. And Bouknight. Cliff is a 4 star. He’s not Wiseman. he might not even beat out Javonte Brown Ferguson or Springs, let alone Carlton. You think DH is going to sit a senior who has started two years? Maybe, but it’s not his normal approach.

Our weakest position, by a wide margin, is small forward. Yes, Jackson is coming but he will be a freshman. Towns gives us ball handling, shooting, rebounding and passing at the 3. Currently Polley gives us just shooting and Sid just rebounding.

I'm guessing you haven't watched both Cliff and Javonte Brown Ferguson play. Cliff would eat him for pre-game snack, forget about a real meal.

Reaction Score

Bouknight should be starting and Kofi absolutely would be starting over Josh. Javonte has huge upside but Cliff is a lot more ready right now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you haven't watched both Cliff and Javonte Brown Ferguson play. Cliff would eat him for pre-game snack, forget about a real meal.

Bouknight should be starting and Kofi absolutely would be starting over Josh. Javonte has huge upside but Cliff is a lot more ready right now.

I’ve seen clips. I’m just never sold when I hear that any freshman is just going to come in and start at this level. Very few are really that good. I’d love to see him come here and hope he’s as good as you all expect.

Bouknight should be starting for sure. We will find out soon.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen clips. I’m just never sold when I hear that any freshman is just going to come in and start at this level. Very few are really that good. I’d love to see him come here and hope he’s as good as you all expect.

Bouknight should be starting for sure. We will find out soon.

I'm not disagreeing with that part. I think Carlton probably starts, with Springs quickly off the bench. Possibly Javonte Brown Ferguson or the other recruit too. I do like that springs can play 4 or 5. His versaility could be big in the next few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom