2020 Recruiting: - Seth Towns grad transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Seth Towns grad transfer

Reaction Score
I could potentially agree with you on that but not even a doctor could be 100% right on whether he could be back healthy and ready to contribute. And guys coming off surgeries like this usually take at least a year to recover. So next year he's in all likelihood not contributing.
Potentially. We have zero evidence on the surgery he’s having though.

Reaction Score
He missed most of the season in 2018, tried to come back this season and now needs/has had surgery. That does not sound good at all. If he comes here id embrace him but id rather take a pass and save the scholly for a HS recruit.
This is nothing tangible. But if we passed on him I think we’d regret it

Reaction Score
I'll just throw this out there - Durham. Remember how long it took him to come back? With our history of players impacted by multiple injuries/surgeries I'd pass.

Reaction Score
I'll just throw this out there - Durham. Remember how long it took him to come back? With our history of players impacted by multiple injuries/surgeries I'd pass.

Certainly agree with this coming to mind immediately. But I'm not sure of the extent of the injury(ies) and Juwan blew out his knee 2 times. It would seem that Towns thought he could get back on the court without surgery so is it that bad or was it just not being timely with getting the proper diagnosis?

The kids a player if healthy and I am sure if he is even interested in UConn the staff and medical team will do its due diligence in assuring he would be a good fit both health wise and game wise.

Reaction Score
As the 13th scholarship it shouldn't even be a question if he's worth it. He'd immediately start for this team

Reaction Score
Anyone saying they don't want an efficient 6'7 scorer, passer, and rebounder because he had a knee injury are completely nuts. This is 2020, not 1990. Knee injuries are something to recover from not debilitating in 99% of cases. Worst case scenario Diarra situation... who cares with your 13th scholly?

If he wants to come here, we should roll out a red carpet, fete him with our finest meats and cheeses, etc.

Reaction Score
Interesting reaction in this thread - I seem to remember not so long ago how much criticism there was about recruiting injured/injury prone players. This guy hasn't played in 2 years and just had knee surgery - are we really that desperate as a fan base that we will waste a 2 year scholarship onan unknown. Sure when healthy he was good - but how long will rehab take and will he still be the same player?
And dont tell me this is different than Durham, Gilbert or Diarra

Reaction Score
Eh. The team didn't have a true point and I'm not sure that good but not great teams can make a run in the tourney without a true point.

It wasn't about a tourney run. They played to their seed and Kansas was clearly better. They should have been better in the regular season, which would have resulted in a higher seed. They had two talented combo guards and a pretty good "point forward", and our best offensive big in the last decade.

Reaction Score
Interesting reaction in this thread - I seem to remember not so long ago how much criticism there was about recruiting injured/injury prone players. This guy hasn't played in 2 years and just had knee surgery - are we really that desperate as a fan base that we will waste a 2 year scholarship onan unknown. Sure when healthy he was good - but how long will rehab take and will he still be the same player?

Obviously I want to do my due diligence on the surgery and rehab. But we can't shy away from every player who has had a serious injury just because we've had a string of recent bad luck.

Reaction Score
It's different when it's your 13th scholarship and not your starting PG or projected starting center...

Reaction Score

How about Mamadou Diarra?

We have no idea if either Durham's or Diarra's situations are similar to Towns' situation but it's clear that knee injuries to athletes are many times tough to overcome. Or take a long time to overcome. Time UConn wouldn't have with Towns since he has to complete his eligibility in the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's different when it's your 13th scholarship and not your starting PG or projected starting center...
I said it on this thread already and I'll say it again, just because he might be 1 of 13 scholarships doesn't mean his scholarship could be the 13th one which is usually a guy who never plays. Giving away that 13th scholarship who may not be able to help at all means you might be passing on a recruit in the spring who is a very good player and could help. Or maybe a top level recruit who could help a lot.

I don't think UConn is in a position right now to take that much risk with any scholarships. Obviously the staff will make their own evaluation, with much more information than we have, but this is just my opinion based on the cursory facts we are privy to.

Reaction Score
I said it on this thread already and I'll say it again, just because he might be 1 of 13 scholarships doesn't mean his scholarship could be the 13th one which is usually a guy who never plays. Giving away that 13th scholarship who may not be able to help at all means you might be passing on a recruit in the spring who is a very good player and could help. Or maybe a top level recruit who could help a lot.

I don't think UConn is in a position right now to take that much risk with any scholarships. Obviously the staff will make their own evaluation, with much more information than we have, but this is just my opinion based on the cursory facts we are privy to.
I'm very curious to hear more about this top recruit who's available in the spring and coming here

Reaction Score
That's BS and you know it. If we sign him and he never plays a game this fan base will sing a different song.

Reaction Score
I'm very curious to hear more about this top recruit who's available in the spring and coming here
I'm very curious to hear how much Towns could help next year and if the injury will hold him back. If he's completely healthy and ready to play like he has before then definitely bring him in.

Reaction Score
That's BS and you know it. If we sign him and he never plays a game this fan base will sing a different song.

i'm interested to see if you can project the top 10 rotation players for 2020 if hurley can bring in both a guy like cliff, and towns. then you'd realize how stacked the roster is and why towns is worth the risk/reward. his presence would raise the ceiling all the more and his absence would barely put a dent in the floor. no more than 10 guys should get meaningful PT anyways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom