SEC Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SEC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Lady Vols were in a similar situation as the UConn men and the first steps is to change the culture which both DH and KJH have done. Next it is to get recruits with the proper attitude to continue the culture change with the potential to be the base of a consistently winning player in the 3-4 year range. Both have done this KJH has moved the needle and while the Pat Summitt seasons are still above them just like the Jim Calhoun seasons are above our men. It is appropriate to be excited for both programs.
Great response. I do see Tennessee losing less games but still not being consistent at times. I'm excited to see how much better they'll be though. I think the pieces they got will lessen the stress of losing Zaay. The team looks more well rounded.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this might be better placed in the transfer thread but A Espinoza-Hunter has opted out of the season due to COVID 19. This isn’t a surprise.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this might be better placed in the transfer thread but A Espinoza-Hunter has opted out of the season due to COVID 19. This isn’t a surprise.
Curious why you would say it isn't a surprise. Do you think she's done or will she come back next year?

Reaction Score
Read the article...she says she would rather watch from the stands...a sports writer started this, not the team.

Nick Saban: "I'm not leaving here for the Alabama job."

Moral: Rumors usually have SOME basis. There are many other news stories regarding this. I only posted one. I HOPE there is no basis.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Nick Saban: "I'm not leaving here for the Alabama job."

Moral: Rumors usually have SOME basis. There are many other news stories regarding this. I only posted one. I HOPE there is no basis.
It's not a rumor...it was an idea from a Philadelphia Equirer sports writer. There is no story about this, he just gave his opinion on women coaching in the NBA....geez....read the original article where he says....." an interview should happen but it probably won't". This guy just needed a story for that day...lol....It's no different than if you said it...lol...It's just his opinion much like it would have been your opinion. I don't think the 76'ers are going to ask him...you...or me....what we think they should do...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN updated their 2021 Hoopgurlz rankings:

1. Azzi Fudd (undeclared)
2. Raven Johnson (South Carolina)
3. Saniya Rivers (South Carolina)
4. Sania Feagen (South Carolina)
5. Caroline Ducharme (Connecticut)
6. Aaliyah Moore (Texas)
7. Jersey Wolfenbarger (Arkansas)
8. Olivia Miles (Notre Dame)
9. Teonni Key (North Carolina)
10. Rori Harmon (Texas)
11. Brooke Demetre (Stanford)
12. Payton Derhulst (Louisville)
13. Maryam Dauda (Baylor)
14. Aubryanna Hall (South Carolina)
15. Amari DeBerry (Connecticut)

Reaction Score
ESPN updated their 2021 Hoopgurlz rankings:

1. Azzi Fudd (undeclared)
2. Raven Johnson (South Carolina)
3. Saniya Rivers (South Carolina)
4. Sania Feagen (South Carolina)
5. Caroline Ducharme (Connecticut)
6. Aaliyah Moore (Texas)
7. Jersey Wolfenbarger (Arkansas)
8. Olivia Miles (Notre Dame)
9. Teonni Key (North Carolina)
10. Rori Harmon (Texas)
11. Brooke Demetre (Stanford)
12. Payton Derhulst (Louisville)
13. Maryam Dauda (Baylor)
14. Aubryanna Hall (South Carolina)
15. Amari DeBerry (Connecticut)

Ducharme 5
DeBerry 15
Poffenbarger 30
Hmmmm...

Reaction Score
Ducharme 5
DeBerry 15
Poffenbarger 30
Hmmmm...

We have to wonder about them, don't we? Their competency? Either brilliant or just completely incompetent?
The 4 other services have DeBerry in the top 5 yet she is 15 and not rated 5 stars? Poffenbarger no lower than 17 in the other services yet here they have her 30? While Aubreyanna Hall who was no higher than 26, is now 14? And they have Johnson 2nd while all other services at tops have her 14 but now this service has her at 2? And of the 5 players -- they have 3 2/3/4 of which they are all rated 98 and only Ducharme and Azzi are rated 98?

South Carolina was already a beast now and in the for the foreseeable future - but if the prospect rankings are right, South Carolina over the course of every season should never lose more than 2 games over the next 5 years with this upcoming year being maybe they lose between none and 4 (if a full season is played). But every year they are threat to be awesome.

I think there are 3 teams over the next 3 years you can see as tremendously dominant. South Carolina, UCONN and Stanford.

So with all that said I'm hoping that Blue Star's rankings will prove someday to be more accurate in that they have DeBerry at 4, Ducharme at 7, and Poffenbarger at 10. While our toughest competition is South Carolina and Stanford, Blue Star has their recruits ranked overall lower.

Anyhow, overall South Carolina is one scary team.

Reaction Score
We have to wonder about them, don't we? Their competency? Either brilliant or just completely incompetent?
The 4 other services have DeBerry in the top 5 yet she is 15 and not rated 5 stars? Poffenbarger no lower than 17 in the other services yet here they have her 30? While Aubreyanna Hall who was no higher than 26, is now 14? And they have Johnson 2nd while all other services at tops have her 14 but now this service has her at 2? And of the 5 players -- they have 3 2/3/4 of which they are all rated 98 and only Ducharme and Azzi are rated 98?

South Carolina was already a beast now and in the for the foreseeable future - but if the prospect rankings are right, South Carolina over the course of every season should never lose more than 2 games over the next 5 years with this upcoming year being maybe they lose between none and 4 (if a full season is played). But every year they are threat to be awesome.

I think there are 3 teams over the next 3 years you can see as tremendously dominant. South Carolina, UCONN and Stanford.

So with all that said I'm hoping that Blue Star's rankings will prove someday to be more accurate in that they have DeBerry at 4, Ducharme at 7, and Poffenbarger at 10. While our toughest competition is South Carolina and Stanford, Blue Star has their recruits ranked overall lower.

Anyhow, overall South Carolina is one scary team.

Right now my biggest hope is that SCar and Uconn will be allowed by their conferences to continue the series without interruption in January 2021. We might be "scary" but UConn is still THE program.

It will be interesting to see how the recruiting numbers play out after all the recruiting "gurus" update their rankings based upon this past summer's (limited) AAU play. Before this Premier/HoopGurlz update, SCar had the consensus number one class based on cumulative average rankings BUT would have been passed if UConn gets Azi. Now, UConn won't jump SCar in Hoopgurlz even if they get Azi. However, UConn could have the cumulative Number one class depending on the re-rankings.It will be fun to argue about til basketball resumes

Number One, Two distinction is pretty weak; however, the #1 2019 class has certainly worked out well for us so far.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think the basketball season will occur, but as much as I want to attend all of the games, I don't think it will be safe to have fans in the stands.

Reaction Score
Good interview with Coach McCray-Penson. Couple of highlights: She didn’t say it specifically but it is pretty obvious A Espinoza-Hunter won’t return. My understanding is she graduates in December.
Second, Madison Hayes is going to push for a big role this season.

Reaction Score
Miss State folks, what do you expect to see as far as a starting five and rotation this season.

I have Taylor, Jackson, Cooks and Carter pencilled in.

I'm not sure what you would do at the other spot between Mutharu, Wiggins, Madison Hayes, Caterrion Thompson, Mingo-Young..

Reaction Score
Miss State folks, what do you expect to see as far as a starting five and rotation this season.

I have Taylor, Jackson, Cooks and Carter pencilled in.

I'm not sure what you would do at the other spot between Mutharu, Wiggins, Madison Hayes, Caterrion Thompson, Mingo-Young..
My prediction
PG- M Taylor
SG- A Matharu or M Hayes
SF- R Jackson
PF- S Cooks
C- J Carter

Y Morris is the first post off the bench and will play a lot. She is really the only true post on the roster. Toward the end of last season she really played well. She is strong, aggressive, and a good leaper. She is just behind on her skill level. C Kohl arrived late. She has a lot of international experience against older players. However she hasn’t played against this level of athleticism. Anything she gives is a bonus.
J Mingo-Young will technically play point but she is more of a combo player. Coach McCray-Penson says she wants to play more “positionless”. Therefore you could see multiple players initiating the offense. J Mingo-Young can fit into that scheme.
If she doesn’t start then M Hayes will play a lot on all the perimeter positions. If she can get a little more consistent so will X Wiggins. She is athletic and can guard multiple positions. C Thompson is the grad transfer. Coach McCray-Penson said her maturity and outside shooting will be her biggest asset.
At Old Dominion the main players normally averaged minutes in the upper 20s. The next level was around 20 minutes with the role players in the lower teens.
If she presses like she has stated and with the lower numbers I predict the starting five plus Hayes (if she doesn’t start) will be that first group. Wiggins, Morris, and Mingo-Young in the second level with Thompson and Kohl playing where needed.
“Positionless basketball” aside, I predict Cooks will rotate to the five a lot and Jackson to the four with Hayes also playing the three.

Reaction Score
M Taylor will need to shoot the ball better this coming year from the perimeter.
I agree. I really like Mingo Young. It's the Louisiana bias lol. But that girl can ball. And she has one of the highest upsides out of the point guards

Reaction Score
Nice to be able to turn on the SEC Network and finally see a live event going on (WSOC: MSU @ AU).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom