SEC Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

SEC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I will give my guess on Tennessee starting lineup.
C Key
F Green
F Davis
G Horston
G Walker
Burell first of the Bench.

Reaction Score
I will give my guess on Tennessee starting lineup.
C Key
F Green
F Davis
G Horston
G Walker
Burell first of the Bench.

Rae will start!!!.. Walker first off the bench.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Rae will start!!!.. Walker first off the bench.
That's possible. I said Walker because she can play point guard. That can put Horston at the 2 guard.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Since, I assume based on the name, you're a South Carolina fan, do you see LaDazhia Williams having an impact for them? I know she never really shined at USC but she was kind of buried on the depth chart.
I really don't; she looked lost on the court when she was at USC. She will get playing time because of a lack of talent at Mizzou, but I'd be surprised to see her become a huge contributor.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that’s because Arkansas has proven good guard play and Neighbors is an amazing coach. Much respect to Pingeton but her teams have never made it to the sweet 16 or beyond and she had WNBA talent Sophie Cunningham. I really like Blackwell and Franks though their both supremely confident and weren’t scared as freshman. They’ll both be very good this year. I’ll hold my thoughts on Shug Dickson as she hasn’t been in a single conference long enough to make a true impact and the SEC is much tougher than the Big 12 and certainly tougher than the American. I’m not from Missouri, but I’m taking the “Show Me” approach:D.

Because for the most part, Cunningham was the only “talent” on the team. The point was that no other SEC team outside the top 2 as prominent post play.

Reaction Score
Because for the most part, Cunningham was the only “talent” on the team. The point was that no other SEC team outside the top 2 as prominent post play.

Amber Smith was solid as was Sierra Michaelis, Lauren Aldridge, Lindsay Cunningham(Sophie’s Sister) and Alyssa Bruuso. I think that was the case last year but I suspect development from Temari Key of UT, and you can’t sleep on Jenna Staiti from Georgia, Unique Thompson of Auburn, Cierra Johnson of A&M, nor Faustine Aifuwa of LSU. With Shakira Austin available this year for Ole Miss this year the best bigs in the country will be in the SEC. That’s why I think Mizzou will struggle on the boards this year because I don’t think Williams has what it takes to battle those Post players.

Reaction Score
Austin has immediate eligibility for Ole Miss. Coach Yo was quoted in an article saying that it was nice to look. at the 3 spot and not see a guard type player in a small body. That makes we wonder if in fact Austin prefers to face up rather than bang down low.

Ole Miss needs all the help it can get but I like Coach Yo's personality in interviews and maybe she is getting them on the right track.

Reaction Score
Amber Smith was solid as was Sierra Michaelis, Lauren Aldridge, Lindsay Cunningham(Sophie’s Sister) and Alyssa Bruuso. I think that was the case last year but I suspect development from Temari Key of UT, and you can’t sleep on Jenna Staiti from Georgia, Unique Thompson of Auburn, Cierra Johnson of A&M, nor Faustine Aifuwa of LSU. With Shakira Austin available this year for Ole Miss this year the best bigs in the country will be in the SEC. That’s why I think Mizzou will struggle on the boards this year because I don’t think Williams has what it takes to battle those Post players.

I also expect development out of Key at Tennessee. She showed quite a bit of raw, freshman talent last year. However, she was like the rest of the Vols team in that she was a bit "wild" in her play.

If the cut down on mistakes (particularly turnovers) they could be a Top 25-ish team this year. Well see how their coaching develops this team. There is an old maxim that most coaches' teams show the most improvement between their first and second years. We'll see

Reaction Score

Im fully aware of those players. But if you take Sophie off all those rosters, the players mentioned wouldn’t have been able to make Missouri as competitive as they have been. Those were nice complimentary pieces, but Sophie made that team and program go.

I also think it’s a little short sighted to predict development from all these players and not Williams, who you haven’t seen play in two years. It’s also not like Dawn as had much success or is known for developing talent outside of the select few that came in with the skills needed (like Wilson) from day 1.

Reaction Score
Since, I assume based on the name, you're a South Carolina fan, do you see LaDazhia Williams having an impact for them? I know she never really shined at USC but she was kind of buried on the depth chart.
In her limited minutes, Day impressed me at times with a nice ability to come up with some rebounds. Her offensive game was nonexistent. I take exception that she was buried on the depth chart. Due to bad recruiting classes in ‘15 and ‘17 (Day’s class), those teams she played on in ‘17-‘18 and ‘18-‘19 were seriously lacking in depth and there were plenty of front court bench minutes to be earned. In Mizzou, I believe she went to a good program for her to get a chance to play and maybe, after a year off and a fresh start, she’ll mature into a solid role player for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im fully aware of those players. But if you take Sophie off all those rosters, the players mentioned wouldn’t have been able to make Missouri as competitive as they have been. Those were nice complimentary pieces, but Sophie made that team and program go.

I also think it’s a little short sighted to predict development from all these players and not Williams, who you haven’t seen play in two years. It’s also not like Dawn as had much success or is known for developing talent outside of the select few that came in with the skills needed (like Wilson) from day 1.

What do you mean predict development? Out of all those players I mentioned only player that needs development is Tamari Key and she has way more upside than Williams. Also the other players I mentioned are seasoned players who are already known and can expect to have an impact for their team. No disrespect intended towards Williams but she hasn’t shown the necessary aggressiveness needEd to compete with those players. Dawn develops talent look no further than Harris and Hebert Harrigan who both were lowly ranked out of high school and became first round draft picks. She also will have her best teams these next coming years and plenty of draft picks will be coming out of those we’ll revisit this conversation next couple years she already has 9 players in the W that number will double in the next 7-10 years.

Reaction Score
What do you mean predict development? Out of all those players I mentioned only player that needs development is Tamari Key and she has way more upside than Williams. Also the other players I mentioned are seasoned players who are already known and can expect to have an impact for their team. No disrespect intended towards Williams but she hasn’t shown the necessary aggressiveness needEd to compete with those players. Dawn develops talent look no further than Harris and Hebert Harrigan who both were lowly ranked out of high school and became first round draft picks. She also will have her best teams these next coming years and plenty of draft picks will be coming out of those we’ll revisit this conversation next couple years she already has 9 players in the W that number will double in the next 7-10 years.

Harris was the 27th rated prospect out of high school. I’m also not sure how you can say what Williams has showed recently when she hasn’t seen game action. I’m sure she’s improved during her time sitting out, like most players do. She didn’t look great at SC, but that was approaching 2 years ago. And maybe Williams hasn’t improved any, but it’s a bit unfair to say what she’s “prepared” to do when you haven’t seen it. Missouri was a small team in general last season, they only had 1 player at least 6’2 or taller eligible to play. This year they have 4. How good these extra players with size are remains to be seen, but not having to start a 4 guard lineup generally will help on the boards. I think they have the potential to surprise people if at least 1-2 of these players can do what Porter did two years ago.

Oh, does she? Coates has been on about 3 teams in as many years and wasn’t necessarily skilled in college. Her success came from being stronger than everyone, now that she isn’t stronger or bigger than everyone, she isn’t performing. Herbert-Harrington was a reach, and vastly underperformed for a “first round” pick. I guess you can count Gray and Davis, and one wasn’t even in the league at one point. If you count Cooper, she’s on record saying she felt she wasn’t being used correctly and credits her relationship with Mulkey for preparing her to play point guard at the next level. So not sure where this long list of developing players is coming from.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I also expect development out of Key at Tennessee. She showed quite a bit of raw, freshman talent last year. However, she was like the rest of the Vols team in that she was a bit "wild" in her play.

If the cut down on mistakes (particularly turnovers) they could be a Top 25-ish team this year. Well see how their coaching develops this team. There is an old maxim that most coaches' teams show the most improvement between their first and second years. We'll see
a little more aggression would help too

Reaction Score
Harris was the 27th rated prospect out of high school. I’m also not sure how you can say what Williams has showed recently when she hasn’t seen game action. I’m sure she’s improved during her time sitting out, like most players do. She didn’t look great at SC, but that was approaching 2 years ago. And maybe Williams hasn’t improved any, but it’s a bit unfair to say what she’s “prepared” to do when you haven’t seen it. Missouri was a small team in general last season, they only had 1 player at least 6’2 or taller eligible to play. This year they have 4. How good these extra players with size are remains to be seen, but not having to start a 4 guard lineup generally will help on the boards. I think they have the potential to surprise people if at least 1-2 of these players can do what Porter did two years ago.

Oh, does she? Coates has been on about 3 teams in as many years and wasn’t necessarily skilled in college. Her success came from being stronger than everyone, now that she isn’t stronger or bigger than everyone, she isn’t performing. Herbert-Harrington was a reach, and vastly underperformed for a “first round” pick. I guess you can count Gray and Davis, and one wasn’t even in the league at one point. If you count Cooper, she’s on record saying she felt she wasn’t being used correctly and credits her relationship with Mulkey for preparing her to play point guard at the next level. So not sure where this long list of developing players is coming from.

I have no interest in debating with you over a team like Missouri. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it period. I’ve watched her much more times than you apparently and I just don’t think she’s good enough to be an impact performer in the SEC. what’s all the jabs at Dawn about? It’s clear she develops players regardless of what they do at the next level they are there amongst 144 other women. The last Stanford player that got drafted hasn't been exactly stellar either. And if we’re being honest McCall nor Chiney has been good as they were in college as well. Don’t discredit Dawn she’s moved into the Upper Echelon of women’s basketball and will have the best team she’s ever had these next couple years please put some respect on her name thanks. Now next subject...

Reaction Score
I have no interest in debating with you over a team like Missouri. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it period. I’ve watched her much more times than you apparently and I just don’t think she’s good enough to be an impact performer in the SEC. what’s all the jabs at Dawn about? It’s clear she develops players regardless of what they do at the next level they are there amongst 144 other women. The last Stanford player that got drafted hasn't been exactly stellar either. And if we’re being honest McCall nor Chiney has been good as they were in college as well. Don’t discredit Dawn she’s moved into the Upper Echelon of women’s basketball and will have the best team she’s ever had these next couple years please put some respect on her name thanks. Now next subject...

“A team like Missouri” has pretty routinely beaten or given SC problems in the very least over the years, so I can understand the animosity :)

You haven’t watched Williams in one going on two years, but the original point was never if she could be an impact player or not. Point was and still is not many SEC teams have post rotations that will give opposing teams headaches. If Missouri can at least get competent play out of their newly acquired size, I think they’ll surprise.

I don’t think anyone cares to debate about South Carolina either, yet here you are.

Reaction Score
“A team like Missouri” has pretty routinely beaten or given SC problems in the very least over the years, so I can understand the animosity :)

You haven’t watched Williams in one going on two years, but the original point was never if she could be an impact player or not. Point was and still is not many SEC teams have post rotations that will give opposing teams headaches. If Missouri can at least get competent play out of their newly acquired size, I think they’ll surprise.

I don’t think anyone cares to debate about South Carolina either, yet here you are.

Please spare me they beat SC and did exactly what after that?? You need to worry about your team winning the PAC 12 again since you so pressed about what’s going on in another conference. This debate is over like I said because you tried to start jabs and that was unnecessary. Hope to see y’all in the tournament this year;)

Reaction Score
Austin has immediate eligibility for Ole Miss. Coach Yo was quoted in an article saying that it was nice to look. at the 3 spot and not see a guard type player in a small body. That makes we wonder if in fact Austin prefers to face up rather than bang down low.

Ole Miss needs all the help it can get but I like Coach Yo's personality in interviews and maybe she is getting them on the right track.
I had forgotten that S Austin wanted to play more on the perimeter. I’ll be interested to see how she works out at UM.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi State

Mississippi State could win the league.

3. Texas A&M
4. Kentucky
4. Arkansas

Tamu is more balanced than two guard heavy teams below them. Arkansas has much more experience, but Kentucky has the best player.

6. Tennessee

Will need to make strides to catch the next group

Reaction Score
I think MSU will be around 3-4 if everyone is healthy. I think KY will take the number 2 spot as Howard is simply lights out. A&M, Arkansas, and UT won't be easy outs.

I think UT will be a little improved over last year. Their biggest problem was turnovers. Davis is the second best player in the league.

Stop it. Mississippi State had three games of clearance at #2 last season, returns basically the entire team, will be more experienced, deeper, and features a POY candidate along with a blue chip wing.

I don't understand anyone that thinks Kentucky will be better.

Reaction Score
Stop it. Mississippi State had three games of clearance at #2 last season, returns basically the entire team, will be more experienced, deeper, and features a POY candidate along with a blue chip wing.

I don't understand anyone that thinks Kentucky will be better.

Not sure if they’ll be better than Miss St but Howard won’t have to carry the load as much with Patterson getting more comfortable and Hunt coming in to provide more wing scoring this year. She’s a blue chip as well and they also have more size down low with Owens and Edwards being eligible. McKinney is a vet and natural 3 she could swing back to her natural position and be an impact player too. I also think Blair Green and Tatyana Wyatt could have a good year as well. When you have the returning POY in the conference anything is possible.

Reaction Score
Not sure if they’ll be better than Miss St but Howard won’t have to carry the load as much with Patterson getting more comfortable and Hunt coming in to provide more wing scoring this year. She’s a blue chip as well and they also have more size down low with Owens and Edwards being eligible. McKinney is a vet and natural 3 she could swing back to her natural position and be an impact player too. I also think Blair Green and Tatyana Wyatt could have a good year as well. When you have the returning POY in the conference anything is possible.

I think Kentucky is a bit overrated. They are a year away I think.

It's different from what was happening at TAMU (their superstar took things off the table) but similar in effect.

Reaction Score
I think Kentucky is a bit overrated. They are a year away I think.

It's different from what was happening at TAMU (their superstar took things off the table) but similar in effect.

Remember they did beat Miss St once last year too and I think the pieces they added (Edwards, Hunt, Owens) outweighed what they lost (Haines, Cole, Paschal). It’ll be interesting to see how it meshes but they are my dark horse this year.

Reaction Score
Remember they did beat Miss St once last year too and I think the pieces they added (Edwards, Hunt, Owens) outweighed what they lost (Haines, Cole, Paschal). It’ll be interesting to see how it meshes but they are my dark horse this year.
I’ll caveat this post with the fact I’m a Mississippi State fan and I’ve got a rooting interest in them. That said I think you make a lot of valid points and I definitely think Kentucky is capable of pulling some upsets if they get hot. The first time they played Mississippi State they couldn’t miss early and went on a roll. However I also saw them get “punched in the mouth” a couple of times last season and they didn’t respond well. Based on what they have returning, what they lost, and what they gained I don’t think their biggest need, mental strength and consistency, has been addressed enough to put them in the position to be a dark horse for first or even second in the league.
Regarding the other post about Mississippi State being capable of winning the league, I’m certainly hopeful but think the hill for them to climb is really high to do that. The new coaching staff is bringing in a different system. I’m very happy with her being selected but Coach McCray-Penson still hasn’t won at this level. She has been successful but she simply hasn’t had to be the one making the final call against this level of opposition on a night in night out basis.
South Carolina lost two huge pieces in Harris and Herbert-Harringan and that is a big question mark for them. However I think the factor that will carry them until that gets answered is A Boston. She was so consistent last season and I think will continue to get better. She also commands at least a double team and has the ability to make her teammates better and makeup for others shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom