SEC Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SEC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
M Taylor will need to shoot the ball better this coming year from the perimeter.
That is the big question among Mississippi State fans. M Taylor came in with a reputation as a shooter, to include a perimeter shot. However she has rarely shot outside her layup range. I guess we find out this coming season the extent of her scoring ability.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Spread and run the court. Do what South Carolina did last year. Play fast, and murder teams in transition. I don't see many teams able to run like we can.

Carter and Jackson work the midrange shots. Rickea obviously is multifaceted and the most unguardable player and obviously the offensive juggernaut on our team.

Cooks and Matharu can take the perimeter, and additionally Mingo-Young and Taylor can run the court.... along with several other players who can really sprint.

Also, Thompson was brought in to shoot 3s or at least make the team stronger as a perimeter option.

The main problem is the lack of size. Unless you have really slow Yemiyah Morris, but if we have her on the court we might be forced to play differently. But then, maybe Morris will really thrive next year too given how teams with a 4 guard look (Mississippi State 2017-2018) and (South Carolina 2019-2020) often results in a center having a big year. McCowan and Boston.

Wondering what Madison Hayes will do. Probably all the little things like rebound, pinpoint passes, deflect balls, and make huge outlet passes on the lead transition break.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
OMG. We beat LSU in football.

I can't believe this. I'm PSYCHED. Didn't see that one coming at all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Your QB set an SEC record for passing yards (623). Who would have thought you have more offense in football than SEC WCBB ;);)

Reaction Score

Watched the game, loved it. What a difference a coach makes and I must admit I am concerned losing Vic may affect our WBB team in a negative manner, hope not but fearfully.

Reaction Score
South Carolina preview:

PG Destanni Henderson - rated the #1 PG recuit by ESPN out of high school, Henderson has played two effective seasons behind four year starter and All American Ty Harris. Averaged roughly 8 pts and 3 assists with a nearly 3 to 1 A/TO last season. After shooting 37% from three as a freshman, regressed to 32% as a sophomore.

SG Zia Cooke - appeared to level up after getting accustomed to college game. Averaged a team high 14 pts and added 2 assists, shooting 40% from the 3 pt line in conference play.

W Brea Beal - I'll pencil in Beal here on the wing as she started every game last season. Much like Boston, her defensive energy and prowess on the boards fueled her freshmen production. Some lineups will probably push her down to the forward position. A sneaky good scorer off the dribble, Beal's next task is improve on her 29% three point shooting.

F Victaria Saxton - A team co-captain as a Sophomore, Saxton will need to expand her offensive game to hold off Laeticia Amihere and perhaps LeLe Grissette. I've got her pencilled in for the moment, but this is definitely the main question mark in the starting lineup. I believe there may be a little more offense here, but plugging her in as a seniority hold.

C Aliyah Boston - The second team All American averaged 12 and 9 and 3 blocks in 22 minutes a game as a freshman in a season where she was not expected to shoulder a great deal of the offensive load. Odd are she may get a few more touches this year as she develops into a more dominant post scorer.

Bench:

LeLe Grissette - the senior made major strides last season off the bench. Very active getting up and down the floor. Likely to continue to be a key experienced hybrid forward rotation piece.

Laeticia Amihere - Probably the biggest wildcard for the Gamecocks. Ranked as high as #2 in recruiting rankings, the 6'4 Amihere had the biggest struggles of any of the touted freshmen, coming off knee injuries. Early talk is that she looks great physically in practice and has turned a corner there in her comfort level. Looked pretty coltish and hesitant last season in reserve minutes.

Destiny Littleton - Things did not go to plan at Texas as it has not gone to plan for a lot of players there recently. After her request for a transfer waiver was denied last season, Littleton will enter the season rehabbing an ankle cleanup. Did not shoot it particularly well at Texas (32% from three).

Eniya Russell - if nothing else figures to be the first of what figures to be a long line of tough 6'0 athletic combo guards in the Gamecocks stable. The McDonalds All American is coming in with a low profile, but will have the opportunity to plant a flag before Saniya Rivers and Bree Hall arrive next season.

Oliva Thompson - local favorite walk-on earned a scholarship this offseason. Somewhat surprisingly got a handful of meaningful minutes as a shooter off the bench last season, but not likely to be a major contributor.

Elysa Wesolek - pure depth forward.

Summary: the Gamecocks return an extremely talented core that will contend in the SEC. The starting lineup can play with anyone and the bench certainly has a mix of talent, experience, and upside.

However, Ty Harris was masterful last season. Henderson could be All Conference and not match her level of play. Of bigger concern, Herbert-Harrigan was a dead eye shooter that stretched the floor at the 4 while also being an outstanding help defender. South Carolina is very unlikely to replace that in any one player.

South Carolina should remain dominant on the boards and strong defensively. There may be a bit of a regression offensively as the outside shooting is a question and I think there may be a tad less depth. It isn't clear that there is a second unit PG who can run and average a 3/1 TO ration.

Still, Littleton, Amihere, and Eniya Russell are extremely interesting players to watch for upside. Major reinforcements are on the way regardless.

Reaction Score
Watched the game, loved it. What a difference a coach makes and I must admit I am concerned losing Vic may affect our WBB team in a negative manner, hope not but fearfully.

Congrats. Hell of a debut. Not hearing quite as much about the Air Raid never working in the Ess Eee See.

Reaction Score
I had completely forgotten that Arkansas was getting Dunge back this season.

Destiny Slocum, Amber Ramirez, and Dungee is a heck of a lot of firepower.

Scanning the roster, doesn't look like they did much to address the interior game, but seems like they return what they did have.

Reaction Score
I had completely forgotten that Arkansas was getting Dunge back this season.

Destiny Slocum, Amber Ramirez, and Dungee is a heck of a lot of firepower.

Scanning the roster, doesn't look like they did much to address the interior game, but seems like they return what they did have.

The lack of a dominant (or even really good) interior player is what is keeping Arkansas outside the top 10, imo. The starting post, Taylah Thomas, is a fast, lean, athletic player who will scrap, but she is just not big or strong enough to match up against most starting SEC posts. Destinee Oberg enters her sophomore year after an injury plagued freshman campaign that should have seen her gain confidence early in the year in non-con games and carry a limited role into SEC play. She missed the entire pre-season, though, and only saw very limited mop-up minutes in blow-out conference games. (When healthy last year, now-graduated Kiara Williams split time with Thomas). Oberg struggled with a back injury during her senior year of HS, and then broke her wrist early last season, so she really needs to get healthy, get fit, and see if she can live up to her prep potential. She's 6'3", has a nice touch on her shot, and is a really good passer. The Hogs also have Fr Destinee McGhee (yes, there are three players named Destiny/ee on the Hogs' roster - they are a team of Destinees), who is a very strong, wide-body player but who will probably need a season or two to adjust to the SEC. Both Oberg and McGhee may have question marks about their fitness, overall.

In addition to Dungee, Ramirez, and Slocum, the Hogs bring in Fr Elauna Eaton and return PG Makayla Daniels, who shot over 40% from 3 last year and had an very solid A/TO ratio.Their backcourt is deep and talented. The question is, what to do about the paint?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
South Carolina preview:

PG Destanni Henderson - rated the #1 PG recuit by ESPN out of high school, Henderson has played two effective seasons behind four year starter and All American Ty Harris. Averaged roughly 8 pts and 3 assists with a nearly 3 to 1 A/TO last season. After shooting 37% from three as a freshman, regressed to 32% as a sophomore.

SG Zia Cooke - appeared to level up after getting accustomed to college game. Averaged a team high 14 pts and added 2 assists, shooting 40% from the 3 pt line in conference play.

W Brea Beal - I'll pencil in Beal here on the wing as she started every game last season. Much like Boston, her defensive energy and prowess on the boards fueled her freshmen production. Some lineups will probably push her down to the forward position. A sneaky good scorer off the dribble, Beal's next task is improve on her 29% three point shooting.

F Victaria Saxton - A team co-captain as a Sophomore, Saxton will need to expand her offensive game to hold off Laeticia Amihere and perhaps LeLe Grissette. I've got her pencilled in for the moment, but this is definitely the main question mark in the starting lineup. I believe there may be a little more offense here, but plugging her in as a seniority hold.

C Aliyah Boston - The second team All American averaged 12 and 9 and 3 blocks in 22 minutes a game as a freshman in a season where she was not expected to shoulder a great deal of the offensive load. Odd are she may get a few more touches this year as she develops into a more dominant post scorer.

Bench:

LeLe Grissette - the senior made major strides last season off the bench. Very active getting up and down the floor. Likely to continue to be a key experienced hybrid forward rotation piece.

Laeticia Amihere - Probably the biggest wildcard for the Gamecocks. Ranked as high as #2 in recruiting rankings, the 6'4 Amihere had the biggest struggles of any of the touted freshmen, coming off knee injuries. Early talk is that she looks great physically in practice and has turned a corner there in her comfort level. Looked pretty coltish and hesitant last season in reserve minutes.

Destiny Littleton - Things did not go to plan at Texas as it has not gone to plan for a lot of players there recently. After her request for a transfer waiver was denied last season, Littleton will enter the season rehabbing an ankle cleanup. Did not shoot it particularly well at Texas (32% from three).

Eniya Russell - if nothing else figures to be the first of what figures to be a long line of tough 6'0 athletic combo guards in the Gamecocks stable. The McDonalds All American is coming in with a low profile, but will have the opportunity to plant a flag before Saniya Rivers and Bree Hall arrive next season.

Oliva Thompson - local favorite walk-on earned a scholarship this offseason. Somewhat surprisingly got a handful of meaningful minutes as a shooter off the bench last season, but not likely to be a major contributor.

Elysa Wesolek - pure depth forward.

Summary: the Gamecocks return an extremely talented core that will contend in the SEC. The starting lineup can play with anyone and the bench certainly has a mix of talent, experience, and upside.

However, Ty Harris was masterful last season. Henderson could be All Conference and not match her level of play. Of bigger concern, Herbert-Harrigan was a dead eye shooter that stretched the floor at the 4 while also being an outstanding help defender. South Carolina is very unlikely to replace that in any one player.

South Carolina should remain dominant on the boards and strong defensively. There may be a bit of a regression offensively as the outside shooting is a question and I think there may be a tad less depth. It isn't clear that there is a second unit PG who can run and average a 3/1 TO ration.

Still, Littleton, Amihere, and Eniya Russell are extremely interesting players to watch for upside. Major reinforcements are on the way regardless.
Who else can remember the days when having ONE McDonald's AA would be a cause celebre? Now, an incoming Freshman McDAA is "low profile".

Reaction Score
Who else can remember the days when having ONE McDonald's AA would be a cause celebre? Now, an incoming Freshman McDAA is "low profile".

That's very true.

I'm really interested to get a look at her. She's roughly rated in the same range as Tiffany Mitchell, for example.

She should have a good opportunity to get minutes.

Reaction Score
That's very true.

I'm really interested to get a look at her. She's roughly rated in the same range as Tiffany Mitchell, for example.

She should have a good opportunity to get minutes.

Interesting to note that she’s was recruited to play the Point but is listed 6’1” on the roster. I think she’s going to be a surprise factor on the team this year. She has great vision, ball handling, and shot above 40% from 3 her high school career(AAU as well).

Reaction Score
Horston looked great early but looked like she got worn down later in the season. I think she'll be the star this year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Horston looked great early but looked like she got worn down later in the season. I think she'll be the star this year.
I think she is ready to be a star player.

Reaction Score
Pitt got her waiver approved for A&M. That team on paper looks very good. Wonder if it will translate to the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pitt got her waiver approved for A&M. That team on paper looks very good. Wonder if it will translate to the court.

Still cant wrap my head around TAMU being in the SEC. :confused:

Reaction Score

Wonder if Zaay's waiver will be approved too? Hope so, loved watching her at TN.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Zaay's waiver will be approved too? Hope so, loved watching her at TN.
Looks like it's not. A&M has only advertised Pitts and Nixon, which Nixon already sat out. Maybe in the next few weeks it'll be approved. Unless they're playing it safe with the injury and want her fully recovered

Reaction Score
A&M and Kentucky will be extremely intriguing teams to watch with those transfers available.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see if Tennessee can cut their turnovers by 25%

Lets hope so, they would be dramatically better automatically if they accomplish this alone. I was amazed at how careless they were with the ball. The defense wouldn't do anything and they would throw it out of bounds lol

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One player I am waiting to see is Marta Suarez.
She has been a professional player in Spain.

Reaction Score
I’m excited and anxious to see TN. I think this is one of the most experienced TN teams we’ve seen in awhile. I also feel more comfortable now that the coaching staff has a YR under their belt. I think Jordan Horston and Rae Burrell combined with the lotto pick in Rennia Davis creates a three headed monster along with the size inside which should be much better. Kasi Kushkituah looks to be in the best shape of her life.

Look for the additions of the grad transfers to make some noise. Jordan Walker is smaller guard who fits the bill similar to other small guards who have given TN fits over the last few seasons. From all accounts Destiny Salary has been a true engerizer to this team. She is active with the media and has become a fan favorite. Look for her speed and confidence to shine through. Tess Darby who was recruited from several Big12 schools is a true threat from 3. Her NBA range shot and 40% 3 PT accuracy should help the inside a little bit. I expect a slight adjustment to the college game but I think her IQ is something that will allow her to see the floor fast.

Brings me to Marta Suarez who was also recruited by Duke and UCLA. 6’2”. She can fill several holes. She’s known to have a European Swagger and the coaching staff has raved about her. I think she can create some tough match ups when paired with the others above. One slight dig Kellie did have towards the prior coaching staff was that too many of the players on the team were one dimensional so look for that change.

Again, not sure the pieces are 100% there to be at the top of the SEC but there is potential.

Reaction Score
Lets hope so, they would be dramatically better automatically if they accomplish this alone. I was amazed at how careless they were with the ball. The defense wouldn't do anything and they would throw it out of bounds lol

well, I don’t know about “hope so.” :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger