OT: - Realignment? | Page 49 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t hold your breath.
I know, I know. I’ve seen a few tweets posted here that list us as one of the names the Big Ten is considering, but I still think we pick up the phone if the ACC calls. Others may feel differently.

Reaction Score
I know, I know. I’ve seen a few tweets posted here that list us as one of the names the Big Ten is considering, but I still think we pick up the phone if the ACC calls. Others may feel differently.
I haven't seen UConn mentioned anywhere this time around. I don't think it is a good idea to sit home and wait for the phone to ring. I do hope UConn is reaching out to someone.

CL82

Reaction Score
I haven't seen UConn mentioned anywhere this time around. I don't think it is a good idea to sit home and wait for the phone to ring. I do hope UConn is reaching out to someone.
Well, if those tweets are believed, they are reaching out to us. I find it hard to believe, but then again who saw Rutgers coming?

CL82

Reaction Score
What tweets? I’ve been out of the loop all day and I can’t find any interesting tweets.
89BED5AB-16AC-457A-A422-8E9B311513CF.jpeg

Reaction Score

I like going back and reading old threads on Frank The Tank’s page. This post is from February 21, 2010. It discusses who the 15 schools that the B1G were supposedly researching as expansion candidates might be.

“From a realistic standpoint, schools from the SEC aren’t going to ever move while the 2 schools that the Big Ten would want from the Pac-10 (USC and UCLA) are no-brainers in the same category as Texas and Notre Dame where there’s no point in even examining them because they’re in if they want to join.”

Reaction Score
If the B1G makes “at least” $1.5 billion per year in media rights, they will pull ahead of the SEC, even after accounting for the Texas and Oklahoma additions.

This article says the SEC would max out at $1.3 billion per year over the ten year cycle of their next contract with Texas and Oklahoma included.

So the lowest amount the B1G would earn is $200 million per year more than the maximum the SEC could earn over the course of their ten year contract.

And these figures only include media rights revenue. It doesn’t include playoff revenue, bowl games, basketball tournament credits, etc.

Reaction Score
Reply to Rufus..

who posted...

“From a realistic standpoint, schools from the SEC aren’t going to ever move while the 2 schools that the Big Ten would want from the Pac-10 (USC and UCLA) are no-brainers in the same category as Texas and Notre Dame where there’s no point in even examining them because they’re in if they want to join.”

My thought is that Notre Dame will sign with NBC for more money, play football as an indy and play other sports in the ACC.

Assuming ESPN is not included in the new B10 rights deal, you would have one conference grabbing the member of another conference. ESPN may not have signed the GOR, but it is designed to protect it from not losing any assets to another network. What the GOR requires is that all of the ND non football/hockey sports media assets stay in the ACC. But what does that really mean?

It means, I think, that ND non football sports are not on TV. Anywhere. A decade long blackout. Tough on recruiting.

ESPN is not going to broadcast them as ND is not in the ACC anymore and the B10 doesn't own the rights to allow FOX-NBC to broadcast them. The games go into a black hole and will be seen by no one. Ever. The GOR doesn't state that any revenue from the rights stay with the ACC (my first interpretation); it just states that the rights stay with the ACC. Period.

FOX and NBC have no legal rights to those media rights.

But...if ESPN/Fox/NBC are really conniving together to have a Tier 1 league...maybe they could push to release GORs...

You can get a headache thinking about this....the GOR is between Notre Dame and the conference but there is a third party, ESPN.

Reaction Score
My thought is that Notre Dame will sign with NBC for more money, play football as an indy and play other sports in the ACC.

Assuming ESPN is not included in the new B10 rights deal, you would have one conference grabbing the member of another conference. ESPN may not have signed the GOR, but it is designed to protect it from not losing any assets to another network. What the GOR requires is that all of the ND non football/hockey sports media assets stay in the ACC. But what does that really mean?

It means, I think, that ND non football sports are not on TV. Anywhere. A decade long blackout. Tough on recruiting.

ESPN is not going to broadcast them as ND is not in the ACC anymore and the B10 doesn't own the rights to allow FOX-NBC to broadcast them. The games go into a black hole and will be seen by no one. Ever. The GOR doesn't state that any revenue from the rights stay with the ACC (my first interpretation); it just states that the rights stay with the ACC. Period.
I'm confused because you said that Notre Dame will be playing their other sports in the ACC (like they are now). But then you said that ND will not be in the ACC anymore.

Reaction Score
I'm confused because you said that Notre Dame will be playing their other sports in the ACC (like they are now). But then you said that ND will not be in the ACC anymore.

I think that the Irish stay as they now are...football independent...and all other sports in the ACC. (I said that)

And I stated that the reason why is that the ACC flat owns the media rights to basketball, et al and the ACC/ESPN play could be that those sports would not be televised for a decade and a half....

Reaction Score
If NBC has the rights for B1G Saturday night games, does this mean Notre Dame will not have night games at home? Can’t air both at the same time.

Reaction Score
If NBC has the rights for B1G Saturday night games, does this mean Notre Dame will not have night games at home? Can’t air both at the same time.
The ND Administration will like that, if true.

It only reluctantly has them now. They don't like the extra hours for drinking and the possibility of a rowdy crowd (not kidding).

Reaction Score
Pretty much what I have thought....

The coalescing of the northern conference with media sposors other than Disney and the southern with ESPN/ABC....

The question is...what does ESPN do next?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pretty much what I have thought....

The coalescing of the northern conference with media sposors other than Disney and the southern with ESPN/ABC....

The question is...what does ESPN do next?

Big East is in a pretty good spot for its next rights deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom