OT: - Realignment? | Page 48 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
If you have watched an NCAA Volleyball championship game, please raise your hand. Outside of the Olympics I seen a total of 0 volleyball games. Don’t get me wrong, great sport and fun to watch but it’s not in my top 25 list for fun. I am sure some other folks feel otherwise, but I would be surprised if It’s a large following. If there was we would see volleyball on TV In prime time.
I also check it out during the Olympics and I actually once stumbled upon an event in Central Park where I got to see Holly McPeak play. California, of course, but I find it odd that B1G states do well in Beach Volleyball. The Great Lakes, I suppose.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If B1G ends up adding Stanford it may as well add Cal, Oregon and Washington and its got the 6 PAC Pod. No coors though.

My guess is no. I believe there will be no pods or divisions. 10 conference games with 2 non-cons. No western pods. Cal may get a guaranteed game per year with UCLA or they may take on Cal as a non football member (with a smaller piece of the pie, of course), giving the Cali 3 less travel for their Olympic sports.

With 20 conference teams (2 more would be brought in) and 3 guaranteed in conference games, you could rotate through the rest. Since there would be 14 teams that are not guaranteed rivalries, you could rotate those every 2 years (home and away games) and you would see every team in a 4 year span.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the ACC loses Notre Dame, do they pick us up?

Reaction Score
I don't think UCLA and USC thought this through. The PAC 12 has AZ, AZ State, Berkeley, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington, and UCLA & USC. The B1G doesn't even sponsor women's beach volleyball and Nebraska is Independent. I suppose the move that sport to the WCC or Big West.

University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)Los AngelesCaliforniaBruinsPac-12 Conference (Future conference: TBD, primary: Big Ten, both in 2025)I
University of Southern California (USC)Los AngelesCaliforniaTrojansPac-12 Conference (Future conference: TBD, primary: BIg Ten, both in 2025)

Reaction Score
If you have watched an NCAA Volleyball championship game, please raise your hand. Outside of the Olympics I seen a total of 0 volleyball games. Don’t get me wrong, great sport and fun to watch but it’s not in my top 25 list for fun. I am sure some other folks feel otherwise, but I would be surprised if It’s a large following. If there was we would see volleyball on TV In prime time.
My hand is raised. It's a great TV sport. As in football, you are always viewing from the "line of scrimmage", in this case center court.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I don't think UCLA and USC thought this through. The PAC 12 has AZ, AZ State, Berkeley, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington, and UCLA & USC. The B1G doesn't even sponsor women's beach volleyball and Nebraska is Independent. I suppose the move that sport to the WCC or Big West.

University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)Los AngelesCaliforniaBruinsPac-12 Conference (Future conference: TBD, primary: Big Ten, both in 2025)I
University of Southern California (USC)Los AngelesCaliforniaTrojansPac-12 Conference (Future conference: TBD, primary: BIg Ten, both in 2025)

I assuming this is sarcastic because they wouldn’t turn down that kind of money because of beach volleyball. Many Big10 schools sponsor sports that aren’t conference sports.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If B1G ends up adding Stanford it may as well add Cal, Oregon and Washington and its got the 6 PAC Pod. No coors though.

Part of me is beginning to think the B1G just doesn't like Phil Knight and all the influence Nike has had over college athletics over the past 30-40 years.

A Stanford and Cal double whammy makes some sense in that it gets any tendency of California governor to meddle out of the way and gives teams traveling west a doudlbe dip. Play Stanford on Thursday and Cal on Sat or Sun (or vice versa). Saves on travel. You do the same with USC/UCLA.

Unfortunate reality is Oregon is one of those nouveau riche and Oregon isn't much of a market for the eastern half of the country. If you have USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford you have all the west coast TV's you need. A double dip in the San Fran and San Jose markets crushes Portland and Seattle.

Reaction Score
Part of me is beginning to think the B1G just doesn't like Phil Knight and all the influence Nike has had over college athletics over the past 30-40 years.

A Stanford and Cal double whammy makes some sense in that it gets any tendency of California governor to meddle out of the way and gives teams traveling west a doudlbe dip. Play Stanford on Thursday and Cal on Sat or Sun (or vice versa). Saves on travel. You do the same with USC/UCLA.

Unfortunate reality is Oregon is one of those nouveau riche and Oregon isn't much of a market for the eastern half of the country. If you have USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford you have all the west coast TV's you need. A double dip in the San Fran and San Jose markets crushes Portland and Seattle.
Stanford and Cal make complete sense too not just because of the markets but two of the most prestigious universities in the world. That's B1G, especially when the conference expands to western europe and east asia. Also interesting, it seems that kids today are all about Under Armour. All those uniform changes in Oregon have possibly jumped the shark.

Let's not forget, the B1G Academic Alliance, formerly the CIC - Committee on Institutional Cooperation.

B1G Academic Alliance

dayooper

Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal make complete sense too not just because of the markets but two of the most prestigious universities in the world. That's B1G, especially when the conference expands to western europe and east asia. Also interesting, it seems that kids today are all about Under Armour. All those uniform changes in Oregon have possibly jumped the shark.

Let's not forget, the B1G Academic Alliance, formerly the CIC - Committee on Institutional Cooperation.

B1G Academic Alliance

My 19 year old still loves Nike, but is more into Storm, Roto-Grip and Hammer right now.

My middle school students, as of this past spring, are all about Crocks, but they have to be bright white and white mid calf length socks. When they wore athletic brands, it was Addias (soccer) and Nike for everything else.

Reaction Score
Out of 130 FBS football programs…

• 52.3% are Nike
  • 28.5% are Adidas
  • 13.1% are Under Armour
  • 5.3% are Jordan Brand
  • 0.8% are New Balance

Reaction Score
My 19 year old still loves Nike, but is more into Storm, Roto-Grip and Hammer right now.

My middle school students, as of this past spring, are all about Crocks, but they have to be bright white and white mid calf length socks. When they wore athletic brands, it was Addias (soccer) and Nike for everything else.
Nike is the king, no doubt. Under Armour has been yugely very successful of late. I mention the kids because they seem drawn to UA more so than Nike. I'm sure it changes by year.

dayooper

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A little birdie told me that Oklahoma and Texas would be welcomed back to the Big12, but Rutgers wouldn’t be allowed in the AAC.
76CFD4FD-9BDD-47B2-BBEA-FBA66A7F3EA0.jpeg
“ What? It’s true!“

Reaction Score
For anyone familiar with USC and UCLA history, what historic games do you think will air on BTN for USC Day and UCLA Day in August 2024?

Keep in mind that the 24 hour days include not only football and basketball, but Olympic sports as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom