OT: - Realignment? | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Sankey is all about his teams, and should be.

But are any folks looking out for the whole college sports landscape?

If the top 40 NET was used...Notre Dame would have been left out last tournament...Creighton, Virginia...and on...

Reaction Score
Question: Is this a possibility:
Let's say you got your Clemson, FL State, Miami, Georgia Tech, UNC, UVA who are prime targets. I mean, which of the pig 2 wouldn't want UNC and UVA. The SEC could do well to block the B1G from encroaching in the south. There could be behind the scenes maneuverings where these six programs confirm an offer and convince the remaining 8 that they are better off deciding their future today and moving on than grinding it out in a dead conference walking. The valuable six could even promise the others a grand payout if everyone agrees to pull the plug on the ACC. I don't know why I think about this sheet.

Reaction Score
B1G has the markets: Philly, NJ, Pitt, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles.
SEC: Atlanta, Dallas, Florida, Houston, Nashville, St. Louis.
Dallas is 200 miles from the closest (soon to be) SEC school.

Reaction Score
Dallas is 200 miles from the closest (soon to be) SEC school.
I'm going to say that people in Dallas watch Texas and Texas A&M games more than they do anyone else.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say that people in Dallas watch Texas and Texas A&M games more than they do anyone else.
Dallas hosts the annual Red River Shootout, and if Dallas isn't the top destination for OU grads, it's probably #2.

Reaction Score
Let's say you got your Clemson, FL State, Miami, Georgia Tech, UNC, UVA who are prime targets. I mean, which of the pig 2 wouldn't want UNC and UVA. The SEC could do well to block the B1G from encroaching in the south. There could be behind the scenes maneuverings where these six programs confirm an offer and convince the remaining 8 that they are better off deciding their future today and moving on than grinding it out in a dead conference walking. The valuable six could even promise the others a grand payout if everyone agrees to pull the plug on the ACC. I don't know why I think about this sheet.
“pig 2”. I like it.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is that the remaining 8 would be so screwed in that scenario that they couldn't say yes.

Syracuse, BC, et al, would be way better off grinding the remaining 12 years left on the ACC GOR and collecting $30-40MM/year then facing the after life now. The $350-400MM they would rake in over the remainder of the contract would be much more than they would get in a new world.

While they know the cliff is coming, there is nothing they can really do to stop from driving over the edge.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is that the remaining 8 would be so screwed in that scenario that they couldn't say yes.

Syracuse, BC, et al, would be way better off grinding the remaining 12 years left on the ACC GOR and collecting $30-40MM/year then facing the after life now. The $350-400MM they would rake in over the remainder of the contract would be much more than they would get in a new world.

While they know the cliff is coming, there is nothing they can really do to stop from driving over the edge.
Sure they are screwed, just as Kansas, Cal, Oregon, Washington might be screwed. If almost half the conference wants out because they can at least double their take somewhere else and the other half is clinging onto coattails, can the conference really survive for 12 more years? You gotta figure everyone in the conference will suffer over that time one way or another. And let's face it, the likes of Syracuse and Pitt aren't winning butkis in football and their basketball programs are in even worse shape. I think something has to give before the 12 years runs out.

And the definition of screwed is relative. No one needed $100 mill to be competitive up to this point. What, they line their locker rooms with gold and they will be better? There are X number of college kids who will play whether they play at Ohio State, Alabama, or NC State. Kids will still choose Pitt or Baylor over Indiana or Miss State regardless of the unversities' financials.

Reaction Score
It's a failed experiment. Of all the Big East Football programs which left, only Rutgers, incredibly, is in the show. The others who remained or left for the ACC or Big 12 are in Barney. The Big East will come full circle with a hybrid conference. You heard it here first. Because college basketball just got even better comparatively speaking.

Reaction Score
Kids will still choose Pitt or Baylor over Indiana or Miss State? Not if Indiana and MIss State are paying kids a salary and have NIL deals lined up. And don't forget the transfer portal. Indiana: Oh hi Mr. Baylor Freshman QB who made an impact on the team this past year. You interested in making $XXX,XXX dollars? Come join the Hoosiers.

Reaction Score
If the B1G acquires the top half of the PAC 12 teams, will it also acquire the "Conference of Champions" moniker?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kids will still choose Pitt or Baylor over Indiana or Miss State? Not if Indiana and MIss State are paying kids a salary and have NIL deals lined up. And don't forget the transfer portal. Indiana: Oh hi Mr. Baylor Freshman QB who made an impact on the team this past year. You interested in making $XXX,XXX dollars? Come join the Hoosiers.

Pitt and Baylor are not allowed to have NIL deals? I didn’t know that.

Actually, big city teams could have big advantages in NIL going forward over rural schools, especially schools in poor states like Mississippi. How many corporations give two deuces about the Mississippi market? The Pittsburgh or central Texas market, on the other hand, have value.

Mississippi State got lucky that the SEC had some great programs the last 20-30 years and a conference of schools representing poor rural states is now considered to be one of the P2. That doesn’t mean Mississippi State has to be successful though.

Reaction Score
The South Carolina and Alabama programs feature top 10 NIL deals even if they aren't in major cities.

And Norfolk State's Raquan Smith calls himself the "King of NIL" because of his 70 + NIL deals....

But, of course, it is Miami's commit Jaden Rashada that has signed a $9.5 million NIL deal to lead the NIL pack.

Reaction Score
Pitt and Baylor are not allowed to have NIL deals? I didn’t know that.

Actually, big city teams could have big advantages in NIL going forward over rural schools, especially schools in poor states like Mississippi. How many corporations give two deuces about the Mississippi market? The Pittsburgh or central Texas market, on the other hand, have value.

Mississippi State got lucky that the SEC had some great programs the last 20-30 years and a conference of schools representing poor rural states is now considered to be one of the P2. That doesn’t mean Mississippi State has to be successful though.
Pitt and Baylor can have NIL deals. But Indiana’s players will have far more media coverage and be on display to America more than Pitt and Baylor, thus having better NIL deals. And Indiana will likely be paying their players a salary that neither Pitt or Baylor can afford.

Reaction Score
FSU and Maryland were the only ones to vote against the exit fee hike. But a year later FSU did sign off on the GOR.

Reaction Score
FSU wanted the GOR and voted for it, right?
Twice. Perhaps reluctantly, perhaps not. They, along with Maryland, were the only schools to vote against the steep increase in the exit fee, before the GOR was put in place. But it has been a few years and a couple of presidents since FSU signed the GORs. So apparently things have changed.

Not sure what “aggressive” means here. Is Pres. McCullough talking about 2036, when he is no longer president? Is he going to ask their governing board to open up the coffers to get out of the GOR? Is he going to try to recruit other ACC school presidents to try to dissolve the ACC (providing he can get enough, and there is not a poison pill similar to the Big 12 or find a way around it if there is one)? Or is this a ploy to try to get ESPN to pony up some more to look like he is doing something?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom