OT: - Realignment? | Page 47 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Alabama doesn't want to go that far north. Sankey's correct. Texas + OU > USC + UCLA (but USC + UCLA was the best the Big Ten could do)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just give us a half share and we'll give you Alabama at Yankee Stadium. Make the same pitch to the B1G.
Why would the B1G care if we played Alabama at Yankee stadium?

Reaction Score
Two universities in the SEC have an endowment of $1.4 billion and enrollment of 45k - COMBINED. The state itself only has a total population of 3 million. I guess being in the SEC is a nice windfall for one of the poorest states in the country. And people argue that the SEC doesn't want another Florida school.

Reaction Score
Obviously locking down Kentucky is a non-starter.
SEC trying to keep B1G out of GA by taking GT has some merit. Also further diminishes an ACC market.
GT is one of most overlooked prime assets in realignment. They should be near top of any conversation of conferences strategically growing.
UCF to SEC is equally funny. They add nothing as they overlap UF's dominance in central Florida.
Ga Tech was an old blue blood Southern / SEC team who left because of conflict with Alabama or rather coaches Bear Bryant and Bobby Dodd. That had some success as an Indy for awhile but that became a tough route and the ACC was the only option
They’re really a Deep South team but I’m not sure the SEC will forgive them. They have long memories in Dixie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This guy has no particular pedigree or credentials, but he does walk through the metrics and points out how Connecticut is a pretty attractive pick up, but for the current state of the football program. It’s an interesting watch.

One thing, when he talks about the market that UConn brings, which he does largely favorably, he makes the same mistake that everyone does, namely that he bases it on the Hartford DMA. Here in Connecticut we know that he’s excluding a third of the state’s population (over 1 million people) by doing that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ga Tech was an old blue blood Southern / SEC team who left because of conflict with Alabama or rather coaches Bear Bryant and Bobby Dodd. That had some success as an Indy for awhile but that became a tough route and the ACC was the only option
They’re really a Deep South team but I’m not sure the SEC will forgive them. They have long memories in Dixie.

Understand all of the history with GT and SEC. Which is why I really think Stanford out west and GT in Southeast make a ton of sense for the B1G in terms of strategic fit as institutions, introduction to new markets and locking out others from the same market.

Reaction Score
I'm still amazed at the perception (throughout the media and those who should/do know better than me) that the Big XII is the better more stable conference... and more amazed that that perception is because the conference potentially being raided has the desirable teams that the middle class ones in that conference want to run away from (which in turn will make that conference inherently less stable as you get minnows in with the bigger brands).

It would seem like the smartest play would be to unite the strongest brands under whatever conference shell allows the most deadweight to be dropped... that's the Pac-12. Yet the Big XII is rapidly discussing another GOR (but wisely a shorter contract, they'll hit the market again before the AAC & ACC) to try to continue to buy the impression of more stability. A Pac-whatever with the same GOR & 7-year term reportedly being discussed would have the ability to span the same time-slots, bigger markets and brands.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out, but I'd think:

Washington + Oregon + Cal + Stanford + Utah + Colorado + ASU + Arizona (and Wash. St; Ore. St) adding Texas Tech, OSU, Houston & Kansas --- carries more markets/brands and TV interest splitting dollars 14 ways

As opposed to

Texas Tech, OSU, Houston, TCU, Kansas, BYU (and Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, WVU, Cincy, UCF) adding Utah, Colorado, ASU & Arizona --- and splitting it 16 ways

Reaction Score

Since 2006, 11 of the NCAA Volleyball National Champions have been won by schools in the B1G.

If you have watched an NCAA Volleyball championship game, please raise your hand. Outside of the Olympics I seen a total of 0 volleyball games. Don’t get me wrong, great sport and fun to watch but it’s not in my top 25 list for fun. I am sure some other folks feel otherwise, but I would be surprised if It’s a large following. If there was we would see volleyball on TV In prime time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom