OT: - Realignment? | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Big East is in a pretty good spot for its next rights deal.
Sort of. Now that the B1G is off of ESPN, more of their basketball games will find a way to FS1, leaving less spots for the Big East games.

Reaction Score
Sort of. Now that the B1G is off of ESPN, more of their basketball games will find a way to FS1, leaving less spots for the Big East games.
This is not true. The vast majority of Big 10 basketball games are on BTN and BTN+. The Big 10 had 30 games on an ESPN network last season which is less than 2 per week. People don't seem to understand that more content is going to conference networks, not the big cable sports networks.

Reaction Score
We don't know that at all yet until the deal is out. Those games could be going to CBS & NBC/USA. Fox Sports will get more games, but not 39 spots more.

Big Ten controlled games is 38 to Disney. 38 controlled games to Fox Sports. Games like Maui, PK80, Orlando don't count on those totals.

Reaction Score
The ND Administration will like that, if true.

It only reluctantly has them now. They don't like the extra hours for drinking and the possibility of a rowdy crowd (not kidding).
I’ve heard from the beginning that ND Administration wantEd to go to the Big10 but has gotten a ton of pushback from the alumni and interestingly the faculty. Alumni mainly over independence. Faculty because they see where this is headed and just think it is a bridge too far. They mostly support athletics ( or accept it, unlike say Rutgers) but not professional sports, at least at ND.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard from the beginning that ND Administration wantEd to go to the Big10 but has gotten a ton of pushback from the alumni and interestingly the faculty. Alumni mainly over independence. Faculty because they see where this is headed and just think it is a bridge too far. They mostly support athletics ( or accept it, unlike say Rutgers) but not professional sports, at least at ND.
A pro sports move would be a huge relief for the vast majority of any faculty anywhere.

Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This could lead to the schools themselves breaking away from the NCAA entirely. My bet would be if that happens, those leagues would invite the Big East, Ivy League, A-10, WCC, and MVC to join to form a 175-school athletic organization to replace the NCAA.

Reaction Score
After a Rocky Start, Kevin Warren Has the Big Ten Humming | Sports Illustrated

Without further expansion, the B1G deal averages $1.24 billion per year.

The SEC deal with ESPN is $300 million per year.

And the B1G will go out to bid again before the SEC does.

I wonder if SEC teams call up Kevin Warren now?
And not only that, but the B1G grabbed the SEC's Saturday afternoon time-slot from CBS.

B1G has the markets: Philly, NJ, Pitt, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Los Angeles.

SEC: Atlanta, Dallas, Florida, Houston, Nashville, St. Louis.

Reaction Score
There was once a prediction on this board that UConn would one day find itself in the SEC. The theory was that the B1G would grow and the SEC would respond by moving up the eastern seaboard with Virginia Tech or similar and then take UConn. It would extend the SEC's reach dramatically and it would give Northeastern viewers geographically relevant schools to pull for in the SEC. It did and still does seem preposterous and impossible but.....

When you look at what the B1G is doing, it seems almost feasible that we could become attractive to the SEC if they decide to grow to 18-20 schools. Not only does the Northeast have a lot of good students who might be more inclined to apply to UF, Vandy or Auburn, but the SEC is an entirely southern league (maybe not Missouri) with no representation in the northeast megalopolis. They have nothing in NY, LA, Chicago etc. Meanwhile, the B1G is turning into a national monster in terms of markets. They are stretching sea to shining sea and scooping up almost every major market and most of the US population.

Reaction Score
77 million plus bowls and tournament money.
I believe revenue from BTN will need added to these figures as well. BTN will expand throughout California by the time USC and UCLA join, I’m assuming.

Reaction Score
After a Rocky Start, Kevin Warren Has the Big Ten Humming | Sports Illustrated

Without further expansion, the B1G deal averages $1.24 billion per year.

The SEC deal with ESPN is $300 million per year.

And the B1G will go out to bid again before the SEC does.

I wonder if SEC teams call up Kevin Warren now?
That SEC number is way off. That 300M was just for the CBS package that ESPN took from CBS. They were already getting like 400-500M from ESPN. They don't have 1B annually but it's close to that.

Reaction Score
There is a very good article on the big east …I don’t know how to post it on the the boneyard..Big east financials:how have ratings performed

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There is a very good article on the big east …I don’t know how to post it on the the boneyard..Big east financials:how have ratings performed
Try this link for a tutorial

(Sorry, it used to have pictures, but the directions are still good).

I just put my finger on the address bar to highlight the address click copy and then paste it here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom