• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
At the moment the B1G is not looking at us. I think PSU will say no. Would I like the B1G, yes, however, are we going to wait until a blonde bombshell invite us to the prom, or do take a smart nerdy plain Jane to the prom?
BIG is the goal. Big12 is the move you make now to even have a sniff at your goal.

Reaction Score
I just don't see this idea of negotiating bball and football separately being successful. If you're a network, why would you commit big dollars to football if those same schools can end up in the winter and spring on other networks?

With ESPN+, Paramount+ and to some extent Peacock, becoming players in the scene and needing subscribers, I just can't see them bidding for rights unless every little bit of content is included in any deal.
I think there will be schools (like a certain big east basketball powerhouse that isn't us) who could be apart of conference realignment that don't even have a d1 football team. I think every school realizes the NCAA will end up dying and being a part of one of the big conferences in some way will be the only way to stay alive in college (basically pro) sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They're in the ACC for all sports except football (independent) and hockey (Big 10), which the ACC doesn't offer. They can't join the Big 10 for football only, as an example.
Yeah but the ACC offers football, so how is it that Notre Dame can be a member for everything but football?

Reaction Score
This is categorically untrue. I've read countless scoops over the years here.

BitesizedDetailedAsiansmallclawedotter-max-1mb.gif

Reaction Score
I don't get how anyone can say this is a mistake. In a vacuum, do I think the Big East is more fun for us? Yes. But the writing is on the wall with future media deals, and frankly with the health of so many of our partner athletic departments who are small, private schools with no football program. And to boot, the Big XII is an objectively better basketball conference. I get that the geography is less than ideal, but how can you possibly turn down the opportunity to join the third best conference in the nation and make exponentially more money? It's not about thinking of what the Big East is today, but what it will look like in ten years.

Reaction Score
Big 12 going to a 16 team football conference and a 20 team basketball conference would be very interesting. UConn, CU, UA, ASU as full members. Gonzaga, Nova, Georgetown, and St John's as non-football members. Gotta think the Big 12 could pay the non-football members as much as the Big East does? 19 game basketball schedule or 20 where you play home and home with your biggest rival?

Reaction Score
If true, I understand the logic, but I would definitely be sad. I love being back in the Big East.
Me too. In a world with rainbows raining Lucky Charms cereal falling from the sky and cute dogs and unicorns running around I would like it if

1) UConn basketball remained in the Big East (I guess other sports as well except for football as BE doesn't have football)

AND

2) UConn football only went to the Big 12 or it remained independent with a growing following that could make lots of money with an independent TV contract even as a poor man's Notre Dame.

That's fantasy land stuff. I know the big contract from the Big 12 would ease up a lot financial pressure for UConn.

I guess the next best thing would be UConn going to the Big 12 and hoping the Big 12 brings Nova, GTown, and St. John's so that there is still some Big East flavor assuming there is any truth to that even being discussed by the Big 12. In addition to that Colorado being added would be nice only for the fact that Deion is a walking PR machine.

The reality is if the Big 12 offer is made, UConn has to take it without much thought as long as the Big 12 doesn't say, "you will receive 50% less revenue than the other schools for 10 years" or something onerous like that. Even then with getting less revenue from the Big 12 (50% example I stated) UConn would take it, but it would at least make them think more. UConn can't run the risk of waiting out for a better offer from the Big 10 or the ACC, can they?

Reaction Score
I don't get how anyone can say this is a mistake. In a vacuum, do I think the Big East is more fun for us? Yes. But the writing is on the wall with future media deals, and frankly with the health of so many of our partner athletic departments who are small, private schools with no football program. And to boot, the Big XII is an objectively better basketball conference. I get that the geography is less than ideal, but how can you possibly turn down the opportunity to join the third best conference in the nation and make exponentially more money? It's not about thinking of what the Big East is today, but what it will look like in ten years.
exactly. It's emotion versus logic is what it really boils down to. Read my post #193 above.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the ACC offers football, so how is it that Notre Dame can be a member for everything but football?
Because they are ND and everyone wants them...so they can make their own rules. The ACC would rather have them in all sports and get a few FB games every year than not have them at all...kind of like the BE did for ND

Reaction Score
In my original post, I said they can be a member of the conference or independent. ND fits that definition.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe that carve out (being independent) only applies to football, because the NCAA technically doesn't control the BCS playoff.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because they are ND and everyone wants them...so they can make their own rules. The ACC would rather have them in all sports and get a few FB games every year than not have them at all...kind of like the BE did for ND
I know, I get the why of it, but the poster said that it wasn't allowed by the NCAA.

CL82

Reaction Score
In my original post, I said they can be a member of the conference or independent. ND fits that definition.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe that carve out (being independent) only applies to football, because the NCAA technically doesn't control the BCS playoff.
Yeah but Notre Dame is a member of the ACC for everything but football. You said that they could only be an independent in sports the conference didn't offer. Serious question I'm just trying to reconcile how that works.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Notre Dame is a member of the ACC for everything but football. You said that they could only be an independent in sports the conference didn't offer. Serious question I'm just trying to reconcile how that works.
Here's what I posted:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_113552_Edge_edit_1685633796188.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_113552_Edge_edit_1685633796188.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 75

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members