• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
This might end up being a great move, but looking at this map it’s not a slam dunk that this move will be good for our athletics other than the money.
it wouldnt stay like that though. first add Zona and ASU which would create four pods of 4 teams: western, texas, plains, and eastern. we'd be grouped with cincy, wvu, and ucf. then once the ACC dissolves the BIG12 would absorb a couple more eastern schools e.g. pitt and lville.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I quoted your post and brought it down here just because I think it's easier to read that way. So, again the ACC offers football, but Notre Dame isn't a member for football, but they are a member for every other sport. That seems to contradict what you posted above.
I believe the rules are a bit looser than he claimed. ND is in the ACC but doesn't play football as a conference member. Navy plays football in the AAC but is not a member for any other sports. As someone pointed out in this thread, BCS football isn't under the NCAA's umbrella as deeply as all other sports so the rules (as they pertain to conference membership) may be a bit different.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe the rules are a bit looser than he claimed. ND is in the ACC but doesn't play football as a conference member. Navy plays football in the AAC but is not a member for any other sports. As someone pointed out in this thread, BCS football isn't under the NCAA's umbrella as deeply as all other sports so the rules (as they pertain to conference membership) may be a bit different.
Yeah, it may be that you cannot be a member of another conference in a specific sport, yes you are a member of a different conference that offers that sport.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So could we be, and I'm not advocating this, I'm just trying to understand the role, a member of the big 12 for football but the independent for basketball?
I honestly am not sure on how this works but I would think if you are in a FBS football league you have to be in that league for hoops too

Reaction Score
The B12 money will dry up because it just simply won't be a good enough football conference long term. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, who is left that anyone gives a crap about in football? B12 would have to add Oregon, Utah, and Colorado (w/Deion) to draw any sort of interest to the conference.
They just signed a new contract. Are you talking 20 years from now?

Reaction Score
Me too. In a world with rainbows raining Lucky Charms cereal falling from the sky and cute dogs and unicorns running around I would like it if

1) UConn basketball remained in the Big East (I guess other sports as well except for football as BE doesn't have football)

AND

2) UConn football only went to the Big 12 or it remained independent with a growing following that could make lots of money with an independent TV contract even as a poor man's Notre Dame.

That's fantasy land stuff. I know the big contract from the Big 12 would ease up a lot financial pressure for UConn.

I guess the next best thing would be UConn going to the Big 12 and hoping the Big 12 brings Nova, GTown, and St. John's so that there is still some Big East flavor assuming there is any truth to that even being discussed by the Big 12. In addition to that Colorado being added would be nice only for the fact that Deion is a walking PR machine.

The reality is if the Big 12 offer is made, UConn has to take it without much thought as long as the Big 12 doesn't say, "you will receive 50% less revenue than the other schools for 10 years" or something onerous like that. Even then with getting less revenue from the Big 12 (50% example I stated) UConn would take it, but it would at least make them think more. UConn can't run the risk of waiting out for a better offer from the Big 10 or the ACC, can they?
Rutgers had a buy in of 7 years, and that was less than 50% for many of those years.

The buy-in was gradual.

Reaction Score
I quoted your post and brought it down here just because I think it's easier to read that way. So, again the ACC offers football, but Notre Dame isn't a member for football, but they are a member for every other sport. That seems to contradict what you posted above.
For the last time, a school cannot complete in a separate conference if their primary conference offers that sport. They can compete as an independent, as I have stated.

I'm not 100% sure, but I also believe the exception to compete as an independent exists only in football.

CL82

Reaction Score
For the last time, a school cannot complete in a separate conference if their primary conference offers that sport. They can compete as an independent, as I have stated.

I'm not 100% sure, but I also believe the exception to compete as an independent exists only in football.
OK, that's a little different than the way you first explained it. Do you have a link by any chance?

Reaction Score
One concern with going to the Big 12 is that it is believe ESPN overpaid them as part of a behind the scenes deal to facilitate Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC a year early (and the Big 12 claim that ESPN was in on that move). The next contract in 6 years may not be as generous.
You can say that Fox overpaid for the Big East and the next deal won't be as generous just as easily. They did so to pry BB away from the FB monstrosity they didn't want to pay for.

Reaction Score
If the conferences eligible to play in the BCS playoff are reduced to 4 (or even 3), you can bet this will be a whole new ballgame for the TV channels and networks. They won't be able to pit the conferences against one another. If the SEC or B1G end up in the same place, for instance, you can easily imagine how desperate ESPN would become.

It's a different ballgame for the networks now as the colleges are effectively consolidating.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's a different ballgame for the networks now as the colleges are effectively consolidating.
The best guide for understanding conference realignment has always been how are the people who are putting up the money for the moves going to profit by it. In this case, it looks like the end game is to eliminate the big east and the ACC so that networks don't have to pay for the deadwood in that conference.

Just a thought.

Reaction Score
The best guide for understanding conference realignment has always been how are the people who are putting up the money for the moves going to profit by it. In this case, it looks like the end game is to eliminate the big east and the ACC so that networks don't have to pay for the deadwood in that conference.

Just a thought.
But as you reduce the # of conferences, you give all the leverage to the remaining conferences. You can't squeeze one conference with the threat of featuring another.

Reaction Score
OK, that's a little different than the way you first explained it. Do you have a link by any chance?
How is it different? I said they can compete in the same conference, or as an independent.

Reaction Score
Rutgers had a buy in of 7 years, and that was less than 50% for many of those years.

The buy-in was gradual.
yeah I remember that. Even with those terms UConn would and should accept the B12 invite even if UConn thinks that the ACC or B10 would come calling. My point was that with the smaller revenue in the first few years that would be the only reason I could think of why UConn would be hesitant and that if they think the B12 could get ripped apart soon which is not likely.

Reaction Score
You can say that Fox overpaid for the Big East and the next deal won't be as generous just as easily. They did so to pry BB away from the FB monstrosity they didn't want to pay for.
You can say that, but Fox has been extremely happy with their deal. It was set up so the schools payout grew incrementally over the course of the contract, and they've been making a profit off of it for the last 5 years.
Also, the money is so much less for a basketball conference. Fox will pay roughly the same amount for the Big 10 championship football game this year as they will to all 11 Big East teams for the year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fox will pay roughly the same amount for the Big 10 championship football game this year as they will to all 11 Big East teams for the year.
More validation that it makes sense to look into moving to the B-12.

CL82

Reaction Score
But as you reduce the # of conferences, you give all the leverage to the remaining conferences. You can't squeeze one conference with the threat of featuring another.
True, but the loss of bargaining power is offset by not being forced to pay a premium for deadweight.

Reaction Score
You can say that, but Fox has been extremely happy with their deal. It was set up so the schools payout grew incrementally over the course of the contract, and they've been making a profit off of it for the last 5 years.
Also, the money is so much less for a basketball conference. Fox will pay roughly the same amount for the Big 10 championship football game this year as they will to all 11 Big East teams for the year.
If this is true someone explain how this works financially 1 game over 250 games? I don’t understand the audience and ad revenue economics of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom