• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt somehow find their way in there and I think just about every UConn fan would be on board with that scenario. Literally just the old BE lol
Not this fan. They get their time in purgstory, especially the duplicitous Panthers. I honestly, truly, hope they whither and that UConn doesn’t lift a finger to help.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt somehow find their way in there and I think just about every UConn fan would be on board with that scenario. Literally just the old BE lol
Yeah, I was thinking more two more from the current batch. If you add Syracuse and Pitt, you still need to pull one from the West. That would be a kickass conference. Can't see how or why Syracuse or Pitt would do that, even though each would benefit immensely on the court. Of course, also: the GOR.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I have vacillated over whether we should go to the Big 12 or not as I love the Big East. However, I think we should make the move if we play Cincy and WVU yearly in football (and both twice in basketball). I would love for the other original BE schools (Nova, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, and-yes-Providence) to come with us plus maybe Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was thinking more two more from the current batch. If you add Syracuse and Pitt, you still need to pull one from the West. That would be a kickass conference. Can't see how or why Syracuse or Pitt would do that, even though each would benefit immensely on the court. Of course, also: the GOR.
I’m surprised Oregon hasn’t been involved in this at all. They seem like a no brainer addition for the B12 if they want to move west. Unless Oregon is staying put and waiting for a B1G invite to come

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I suspect that all the remaining Pac 12 teams are waiting to see what Apple does. Whatever league Apple gets behind is going to thrive.

In 10 years, a lot of people are going to look stupid thinking that the Big 10 was going to dominate college sports because they had a cable channel.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I suspect that all the remaining Pac 12 teams are waiting to see what Apple does. Whatever league Apple gets behind is going to thrive.

In 10 years, a lot of people are going to look stupid thinking that the Big 10 was going to dominate college sports because they had a cable channel.
The Big 10 has OTA linear networks, not really cable. Cable may die, but CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC won't.

Reaction Score
Either I misinterpreted your initial post or you subsequently added the few teams leaving.

I personally don't see dissolution of the conference as a possibility as it would leave any school without a prearranged invitation to a new conference in the wilderness. No school wants this and I can't see schools that are confident they'll eventually get an invitation to the B1G or SEC voting for dissolution as those invitations are likely years out.

The ACC is making noise solely because they can only make noise. Nothing can be done to change their situation but they have alumni bases that a few complaining schools need to be able to tell "we are trying everything we can" to keep them satisfied.

The schools crying the most (FSU, Clemson) only have the B-12 as a possible option and going through what it would take to gain their freedom wouldn't be worth the end result. The schools that may have options (three or four in NC & Va) know they are more than half a decade away from their options materializing. The rest of the conference either us hopeful that they can land on their feet or knows they will take a step down once the conference GOR expires.

ND is the only school that has no concerns. The second they say they'll join a conference for all sports the B1G will drop everything and add them. ND is in less if a rush than the B1G.

The ACC will remain as it is until the end of the GOR is within sight.
I could see big payouts, with the conferences they land in worked out long before this all becomes public

Reaction Score
the deep amber alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

I have it from a very good source that we are officially leaving the Big East for the Big 12. No longer a rumor

My two big questions that I'm trying to figure out: 1) when is this happening, 2024-2025 already or further away. 2) Who else is joining, anyone else from the Northeast?

Reaction Score

FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and ESPN are going to dominate sports forever. If people get rid of cable, they’re likely just moving to YoutubeTV or Sling which still offers those channels.

No one on the east coast is paying $15/mo for apple tv to watch random Pac12 teams that they have zero affiliation with. Exclusively behind a paywall would be a disaster

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and ESPN are going to dominate sports forever. If people get rid of cable, they’re likely just moving to YoutubeTV or Sling which still offers those channels.

No one on the east coast is paying $15/mo for apple tv to watch random Pac12 teams that they have zero affiliation with. Exclusively behind a paywall would be a disaster

First, many across the country are already paying for AppleTV. Putting the Pac 10 on it will just be a bonus. Second, everything will be behind a paywall. NBC (Peacock), ABC (Hulu), CBS (Paramount) and ESPN are already behind a paywall. Resellers like YoutubeTV and Sling will be minor players in 10 years unless they come up with proprietary content. All the pure middlemen like Sling or cable will be gone or marginalized.

The Big 10 got to where it is because it could charge every subscriber across the midwest for the BTN. Those days are ending soon, or at least going to get skinnier. Paramount, Peacock and Hulu/ESPN are able to get away with reselling old content, so they may step up for the SEC or BTN, or they may not. Apple needs new stuff, which means it might be willing to pay up for live sports. We will see soon.

Reaction Score
There's been Gonzaga smoke for a while. If there's any truth there, they ain't taking just one basketball only. So...maybe Gonzaga-Villanova? Maybe two other BE schools (SJU-Georgetown?) to take the three biggest BE brands (UConn-Nova-Georgetown) and a NYC school?

To be fair, I don't believe UConn is going to the B12 (though we'd have to do it and I wouldn't be too broken up about it). A scenario that ends with two divisions that look like: UConn/SJU/Nova/Georgetown/UCF/Cincy/WVU doesn't suck, though that's just 7 schools. There'd need to be 2 more in that scenario...
I guess I don’t see why the Big 12 will need to take anyone as a basketball-only school. UConn, Colorado, Arizona, and maybe another eastern school seems plenty. Us and probably Nova could cut it in a national conference. I don’t see Georgetown or St. John’s as fits. It’s too bad Nova doesn’t have D1 football.

Reaction Score
I guess I don’t see why the Big 12 will need to take anyone as a basketball-only school. UConn, Colorado, Arizona, and maybe another eastern school seems plenty. Us and probably Nova could cut it in a national conference. I don’t see Georgetown or St. John’s as fits. It’s too bad Nova doesn’t have D1 football.
Agreed. No way any non-football schools are getting into the Big 10 or Big 12.

Reaction Score

Yormark apparently wants football to have it's own TV contract, basketball and other sports would be a separate contract. Nova and St John's are in huge TV markets. It's just speculation, but St John's and Nova should be worth more than Gonzaga and they are considering Gonzaga.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
True, but maybe that's why conferences are going national.

ESPN has shown a willingness to keep paying for content, because it is trying to justify a separate sports subscription for ESPNPlus. We will see. In the old days, Fox and ESPN were both fighting for content because they wanted the carriage fees on cable. I do not understand Fox's online strategy, and I don't think they do either.

CBS Sports will be folded into ParamountPlus. I will give Paramount credit. They folded a bunch of marginal channels (CBSSports, Showtime, Nick, MTV) into a decent subscription service. I would not be surprised if they put up a fight in sports.

MAX is probably going to fold TNT into it within a few years. I do not see them being active in college, but they will continue with the NBA.

That leaves Netflix, Apple and Amazon, and possibly Google depending on what they do with YoutubeTV. Netflix seems content churning out mediocre content cheaply, and Netflix is making a mountain of money so they have no pressure to do anything. Apple and Amazon have bottomless pockets but streaming services that are both losing money and kind of marginal. Those two can rock the sports world with their next move.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yormark apparently wants football to have it's own TV contract, basketball and other sports would be a separate contract. Nova and St John's are in huge TV markets. It's just speculation, but St John's and Nova should be worth more than Gonzaga and they are considering Gonzaga.

I think this is where all the leagues will be eventually.

If Yormark really wanted to make a splash, he would take the whole Big East. He should go to a private equity firm. I bet he could find one of them to back a comprehensive play like that.

Reaction Score
If Yormark really wanted to make a splash, he would take the whole Big East.

or he could just pick the Big East apart and take the best teams. Doubtful Kansas wants to be in a league with Butler and Depaul, i'm not even sure Providence would make the cut, Xavier would be out because of Cincy.

UCONN football and basketball

Just basketball:

St Johns
Nova
Gtown
Marquette

and maybe
Creighton
Providence

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
or he could just pick the Big East apart and take the best teams. Doubtful Kansas wants to be in a league with Butler and Depaul, i'm not even sure Providence would make the cut, Xavier would be out because of Cincy.

If you need subscribers, picking and choosing is a bad strategy. Yormark needs markets, not a team here and a team there.

Reaction Score
I just don't see this idea of negotiating bball and football separately being successful. If you're a network, why would you commit big dollars to football if those same schools can end up in the winter and spring on other networks?

With ESPN+, Paramount+ and to some extent Peacock, becoming players in the scene and needing subscribers, I just can't see them bidding for rights unless every little bit of content is included in any deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not this fan. They get their time in purgstory, especially the duplicitous Panthers. I honestly, truly, hope they whither and that UConn doesn’t lift a finger to help.
I feel that way about BC, and somewhat about Syracuse, but I'm fine with Pitt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just basketball:
St Johns
Nova
Gtown

I'm not a fan of hybrid conferences, but I'd be good with this.

Reaction Score

Just basketball:

St Johns
Nova
Gtown
Marquette

and maybe
Creighton
Providence
Wouldn’t that involve the Big East keeping those schools in all sports except basketball? I don’t know why they would do that. Of course, without those schools, there is no Big East basketball, therefore no Big East, therefore no conference for their other sports. Unless I’m missing something - which I could be - I don’t see anyone besides UConn going from the Big East to the Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom