Players on campus for summer workouts | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Players on campus for summer workouts

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If everyone gets healthy who is going to get PT? I think it should be another "everyone eats" approach. Keep running fresh studlets out there for maximum defensive pressure and fresh offense.
Great question! As I'm sure you know, there are many reasons why in any particular game, certain players will get minutes while others don't. Some of the reasons we (fans) may every become aware of. Small temporary injury(s), illness, not earning any minutes (consideration) during the last few practices, Geno wanting to see the starting unit or the 6th and 7th man get more time together.

Before he becomes concerned about the bench players, he must be satisfied with the play of his starting unit. There will be games when it becomes apparent that a starter just does not have it. How long Geno leaves them in will vary from game to game and opponent to opponent.

We have a short roster this year with no projects. I'm of the opinion that ALL 11 players can and should play. Geno should not have any hesitation in putting any one on THIS year's team in. That includes the newbies.

There will be games when 1-2 players may not be available thus shortening Geno's bench and his options. Everyone wants to play and is eager to show Geno (and their teammates) they deserve to play. Unless someone manages to find their way into Geno's Dawg House, I look for everyone to get as much playing time as the game, score and opposition allows.

Reaction Score
If everyone gets healthy who is going to get PT? I think it should be another "everyone eats" approach. Keep running fresh studlets out there for maximum defensive pressure and fresh offense.
A bit related, will any player that might tend to "let the game come to them" be able to do this anymore? Will players feel that they have to maximize their points or contribute immediately or else some sub will take their place? Will Geno change his typical strategy come season end of playing only 6 or 7 players for majority of game and giving scraps to other players in last couple minutes?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A bit related, will any player that might tend to "let the game come to them" be able to do this anymore? Will players feel that they have to maximize their points or contribute immediately or else some sub will take their place? Will Geno change his typical strategy come season end of playing only 6 or 7 players for majority of game and giving scraps to other players in last couple minutes?
I don’t believe Geno has ever supported the idea that any player “let the game come to them.” That doesn’t necessarily mean that every player on the court has be firing up and making shots. But they damn well better be cutting, setting screens, playing defense and rebounding, or Geno will certainly find a nice spot on the bench for them.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking, were the three seniors last season UConn's most athletic players? I guess one thing that was sort of underrated about SC was how athletic they were. Saxton and Henderson particularly stood out to me. I know there has been quite a bit of emphasis on Paige getting stronger, but I'm thinking it will be just as important for Dorka and Caroline in order to matchup with their front line.
The one person I'm not worried about is Paige. Even while recovering from her injury and with little support from her ailing teammates, she scored 14 with 6 rebounds and 2 assists. As an indicator, in that one clip that's circulated already elsewhere, she gets her shot off and scores even when double teamed by Beal and Boston. Also, Caroline, nursing a sore hip, still played 22 mins and scored 9. And Aaliyah played 38 mins and scored 8. These are the central figures in any physical game, and even when hampered by injuries, they managed to hold their own.

The only important question mark for me is Dorka. Will she be ready for the first game? Barring injury, I'm sure she'll be ready for the seemingly inevitable second game. Amari has no injuries to speak of, but we don't know whether her heart will be in the right place yet.

As freshmen, Ice and Ayanna may not be mentally ready -- only time will tell about that -- but physically I'm sure they'll be able to bring it when needed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Kelly Faris is one of my all-time favorite Huskies, and has been since before her first game. (I just have to love a player who breaks her nose in practice in the preseason.) I remember in her freshman year, I thought she was sometimes a bit of a spazz. The following summer, I read an interview with her in which she said when she knew she'd only get five minutes at a time or so, she'd try to do everything once she got in. In her post-season talk with Geno, he made it clear that it was when she tried to do too much that she got quickly yanked, and when she relaxed and did what she needed to, she played her best and he left her in.

Reaction Score
UPDATE: Asked Aubrey Griffin on her live the other day about who is still on campus at this point in the summer. She said Paige, Ice, herself (obviously), Amari, and Caroline are still there. Can’t wait to see how the extra time campus this offseason will help these five when season comes around!

Reaction Score

If you look at final four box scores over the years you'll see that most programs are playing 6 or 7 in those games.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking, were the three seniors last season UConn's most athletic players? I guess one thing that was sort of underrated about SC was how athletic they were. Saxton and Henderson particularly stood out to me. I know there has been quite a bit of emphasis on Paige getting stronger, but I'm thinking it will be just as important for Dorka and Caroline in order to matchup with their front line.
IMO Edwards was right up there in terms of athleticism. A healthy Paige is also very athletic.
This year hopefully Aubrey is healthy and she is a freak athlete.
I think Ducharme is a good enough matchup at the SF vs nearly anyone.

Not for nothing though in that final game Liv was hurt. Dorka didn't play. Griffin was out all season. It did make SC more formidable inside than what otherwise might have been.

In addition to that CWill is an undersized SF and I wouldn't say we had the "athletic-Paige" to help inside either. which won't be the case next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The one person I'm not worried about is Paige. Even while recovering from her injury and with little support from her ailing teammates, she scored 14 with 6 rebounds and 2 assists. As an indicator, in that one clip that's circulated already elsewhere, she gets her shot off and scores even when double teamed by Beal and Boston. Also, Caroline, nursing a sore hip, still played 22 mins and scored 9. And Aaliyah played 38 mins and scored 8. These are the central figures in any physical game, and even when hampered by injuries, they managed to hold their own.

The only important question mark for me is Dorka. Will she be ready for the first game? Barring injury, I'm sure she'll be ready for the seemingly inevitable second game. Amari has no injuries to speak of, but we don't know whether her heart will be in the right place yet.

As freshmen, Ice and Ayanna may not be mentally ready -- only time will tell about that -- but physically I'm sure they'll be able to bring it when needed.
All good points but in my mind Huskies should be focused on the end of the year-they have the talent to win it all. Not concerned with Dorka or frosh being ready for the first game. If we have a strong 8+ player lineup by the playoffs, I'll take my chances.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don’t believe Geno has ever supported the idea that any player “let the game come to them.” That doesn’t necessarily mean that every player on the court has be firing up and making shots. But they damn well better be cutting, setting screens, playing defense and rebounding, or Geno will certainly find a nice spot on the bench for them.
Oh................you mean come out playing as hard as they can from the tip like some many of our opponents do. Especially the top ranked ones. They come out unafraid or wary of UConn. They want to put the Huskies in a double digit hole as quickly as possible. That's why UConn can't come out timid or slow. Especially against South Carolina, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

Don't think Princeton or Carla Berube is going to show up looking to kiss Geno's rings. Nay I say. They're coming in to slay the dragon anyway they can. I think Princeton will give UConn one of the best games of the year.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Oh................you mean come out playing as hard as they can from the tip like some many of our opponents do. Especially the top ranked ones. They come out unafraid or wary of UConn. They want to put the Huskies in a double digit hole as quickly as possible. That's why UConn can't come out timid or slow. Especially against South Carolina, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

Don't think Princeton or Carla Berube is going to show up looking to kiss Geno's rings. Nay I say. They're coming in to slay the dragon anyway they can. I think Princeton will give UConn one of the best games of the year.
Oh Great one, while ur post are always wise and insightful I'll have to disagree with ur last paragraph, I thk Princeton will keep it close (within 12 pts) until halftime, the second half will be a lesson from the teacher to his student and after their butt kicking they'll get the complimentary hugs, oxygen masks and a box of bandages, but what say we revist this post after tht game....Peace be with you sir.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Oh Great one, while ur post are always wise and insightful I'll have to disagree with ur last paragraph, I thk Princeton will keep it close (within 12 pts) until halftime, the second half will be a lesson from the teacher to his student and after their butt kicking they'll get the complimentary hugs, oxygen masks and a box of bandages, but what say we revist this post after tht game....Peace be with you sir.
It can be a great game...............................for a half. How many times have we seen a team stay with UConn for a half or even 3 quarters, only to wear down and out in the 4th? Of course Princeton won't beat UConn at Storrs or any where else. Geno has said many times he wants his teams to be challenged!! Remember the pressers where he said he wanted them to get their @$$'s kicked? You don't want to waste a precious preseason game on a cupcake.

I'm merely saying that I expect Princeton to come out hard and compete for 40 minutes. I don't expect UConn to go undefeated this year. They out talent most teams, but I expect 1-2 teams to have their number and catch them on a bad night. I don't think there will be any undefeated teams this season. Remember Goliath (South Carolina) lost 2 games (Missouri and Kentucky) last year. Doggie, your opposition is noted. :cool:

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
It can be a great game...............................for a half. How many times have we seen a team stay with UConn for a half or even 3 quarters, only to wear down and out in the 4th? Of course Princeton won't beat UConn at Storrs or any where else. Geno has said many times he wants his teams to be challenged!! Remember the pressers where he said he wanted them to get their @$$'s kicked? You don't want to waste a precious preseason game on a cupcake.

I'm merely saying that I expect Princeton to come out hard and compete for 40 minutes. I don't expect UConn to go undefeated this year. They out talent most teams, but I expect 1-2 teams to have their number and catch them on a bad night. I don't think there will be any undefeated teams this season. Remember Goliath (South Carolina) lost 2 games (Missouri and Kentucky) last year. Doggie, your opposition is noted. :cool:
My name's Dogstar and I siriusly approve this post.

Reaction Score
UPDATE: Asked Aubrey Griffin on her live the other day about who is still on campus at this point in the summer. She said Paige, Ice, herself (obviously), Amari, and Caroline are still there. Can’t wait to see how the extra time campus this offseason will help these five when season comes around!
Surprised

Reaction Score
yes and now the 2 most athletic players are freshmen idk if that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
South Carolina losing Hennie will be a significant loss for them. She's tough to replace.

Reaction Score
South Carolina losing Hennie will be a significant loss for them. She's tough to replace.
Yes, but they’ll be okay, as Hennie is the only major missing piece from last year’s team. I believe everyone else who played a huge role is returning. Also, Hennie’s understudy, Raven (Johnson, I believe) had a year to watch and learn the ropes, while she recovered from her knee injury.

Reaction Score
Sometimes we use the word "athletic" to mean muscular, and on that meaning, Aaliyah is very athletic, and maybe only Ayanna compares to her, or Aubrey once she's fully recovered.

But a fuller sense of "athletic" can also include lots of other physical and mental dimensions, and if we think of it that way, a healthy Paige is pretty clearly the most athletic player in the country, and only Caitlin Clark, Aaliyah Boston and Haley Jones really compare. I predict we'll be adding Azzi and Caroline to this list by the end of this coming season. I also think this is what Geno means when he distinguishes between "kids who play basketball well" and basketball players.

Reaction Score
Awesome. Ayanna looks to be in incredible shape. Paige did 3 pull-ups, which may not seem like a lot, but it really is. She is clearly really strong in that sinewy way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom