Players on campus for summer workouts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Players on campus for summer workouts

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder how this " rule" was created, and why? Seems pretty lame.
That rule was put in place in 2013 and the main intent was to standardize summer sessions. Prior to the rule being implemented some unscrupulous coaches were requiring players to stick around the campus and sneaking in supervised workouts. The NCAA decided to formalize the policy and it also required the players to be enrolled in summer session classes in order to receive those 8 hours per week of supervised instructions. The rule was also tweaked in 2021 due to COVID and the abundance of players in transfer portal. The new tweak allows the staff to add two new positions (instructors) for summer sessions that are not on the current coaching staff.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That rule was put in place in 2013 and the main intent was to standardize summer sessions. Prior to the rule being implemented some unscrupulous coaches were requiring players to stick around the campus and sneaking in supervised workouts. The NCAA decided to formalize the policy and it also required the players to be enrolled in summer session classes in order to receive those 8 hours per week of supervised instructions. The rule was also tweaked in 2021 due to COVID and the abundance of players in transfer portal. The new tweak allows the staff to add two new positions (instructors) for summer sessions that are not on the current coaching staff.
Something you've spoken about before (perhaps more than once), but well bears repeating to us (as I) have forgotten.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Quick release. Strong smooth wrist action
As I said before, nice form, but her release is butter. She does occasionally however land kind of awkwardly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you don't limit practice time, then the fiction that they are students begins to wear a bit thin.

I trust you'll all recognize the exaggeration.
During the off-season? Not so much actually.

Regardless, I’m not particularly worried about it. It’s good for the kids to get a break.

Reaction Score
During the off-season? Not so much actually.

Regardless, I’m not particularly worried about it. It’s good for the kids to get a break.
I’m not worried either. But my point is limiting practice time over the summer is to avoid the thin edge of the wedge.

Reaction Score

The rule used to require enrollment in summer classes. However it was changed a while ago, partly because it was unfair to schools that don't have summer classes. The relevant part now states:

"In basketball, a student-athlete who received athletically related financial aid during the previous academic year may participate in required summer athletic activities for up to eight weeks without being enrolled in summer school, provided the student-athlete has achieved a cumulative minimum grade-point average of 2.200 and has successfully completed the following academic requirements . . ." (shows how many hours of classes they have to have completed depending on how many semesters they have been enrolled).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not worried either. But my point is limiting practice time over the summer is to avoid the thin edge of the wedge.
Don’t think so. I think it’s got less to do with professional status and more to do with student athlete welfare. For what it’s worth, even pros get time off. That said if you are a high major Division I athlete, you’re going to be working at your round.

Reaction Score
Don’t think so. I think it’s got less to do with professional status and more to do with student athlete welfare. For what it’s worth, even pros get time off. That said if you are a high major Division I athlete, you’re going to be working at your round.
Professional status? I’m thinking of preserving the idea that these kids are students before they are athletes, which is pretty tenuous these days, but is at least nominally the principle governing all of collegiate athletics. I agree with you that their welfare as athletes is a valid concern, since too much work might lead to unnecessary injuries. But their welfare as students is the prior concern, at least according to the NCAA.

Perhaps my reading of the situation seems provincial or even perverse. It comes from my three decades of experience as a college professor, some of which was spent at a D1 school in the UC system. What I have seen many times is that coaches will encroach on the kids’ class work wherever they can get away with it. I’ve always respected the fact that Geno does not do this, and even emphasizes the importance of classroom success.

Reaction Score
Anybody know why Nika doesn’t appear to be back yet? Or perhaps she is and just hadn’t appeared in any videos.

Reaction Score
Anybody know why Nika doesn’t appear to be back yet? Or perhaps she is and just hadn’t appeared in any videos.
Nika is back. She was with Paiges, Aubrey Griffin and Aaliyah Edwards at Celtics game, May 1, 2022.

Reaction Score
I believe she is in her home country now. Her IG story showed a beautiful sea view photo of a little island last week.

Reaction Score
i noticed this too! is there anything going on with the croatian national team this year? maybe she is staying home for something like that? seems unlikely tho since she opted out of national duty last year for the uconn summer session.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom