OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay. So now I feel bad that I only contributed the most famous of sandwiches. So here are a couple suggestions.....

Franklin Giant is famous for the meatball sub. Get a pepper and egg grinder. In the oven with provolone. Very simple but maybe the hidden little neighborhood gem of that spot.

The Paesano at Paesanos in South Philly. Beef Brisket, Horseradish Mayo, Roasted Tomatoes, Pepperoncino, Sharp Provolone & Fried Egg. You bite into the yolk and it runs though the rest. Amazeballs.

Our Menu

Reaction Score
I will tell you I've never loved a sandwich as much as that dude loved his McChicken.

I think he took the idea of loving a sandwich a bit to literally.

We are very near the end of the world.

Do not google it.

Reaction Score
After spending nearly 20 years on the road driving to small Midwest towns I never eat out unless I'm cruisin' somewhere. Two of my favorite homemade sandwiches are the BELT; bacon, fried egg, lettuce, and tomato on toast and what I call the WIMPY burger; ground chuck cheeseburger topped with thousand island dressing. These, of course, are not your upscale restaurant/diner sandwiches but they are very tasty.

I just made a ham egg and cheese on eggos waffles with syrup this morning because it's all I have in my house for food. It was surprisingly good.

Reaction Score
I'm in Japan, and while there are lots of great food options, I'm not likely to find any grinders. :(

Edit: oh, well, it doesn't count as a good sandwich, but I forgot there's a Subway in one of the malls downtown, but lol at going there just for that.

Leebo, where are you in Japan?

There used to be a beef katsu restaurant in Dojima in Osaka (they had a restaurant in Ginza also) called Grill Bon. Amazing sandwiches. I prefer pork katsu, but the beef was amazing and it had the regular katsu sauce on it.

But you're right, Japan is not where you go for sandwiches.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Has anybody found good Cuban food or a Cuban sandwich in CT?

Reaction Score
I feel like Ted's Cheeseburg grinder belongs on this list.

It certainly needed to be said.

I'm not in CT anymore but there was a restaurant that was part of a consignment store in Middlebury. They had a great sandwich that I now reproduce at home all the time. Very quick and easy. Baguette with Prosciutto di Parma, arugula, goat cheese and Dalmatian fig spread. Kind of snooty perhaps but delicious.

Lobster rolls that are made with cold lobster salad suck. Desecration of lobster meat. That's why I like the hot lobster roll at Abbott's. Three ingredients: lobster, butter, sesame seed bun. Boom. The atmosphere is pretty nice too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone ever been to Koch's Deli in Philadelphia? My brother worked there when he was at UPenn and he swore by the place. I ate there once when I visited him but I don't remember it all that well. Looked up their website and it looks like the famous NYC delis. At half the price.

Was there last year. My sandwich was very good but probably not great. The most notable thing was that it was truly gigantic.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There's one I invented that I call the "Why Burger" because the first time I made one, my wife just looked and asked, "Why?"
It's an 8 oz beef patty served on an English muffin, smothered in bacon, crunchy peanut butter, and mayonnaise.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Hot cappy down?

Capicolla is tough. Theres a fine line where it starts to contain too much fat for me. With that said, the genoa is replaceable.

Reaction Score
If you want to grab some diabetes after a game at Gampel, try the "Meltdown" from Sgt Peps.

Philly steak, peppers, onions mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese bites, french fries, Buffalo Chicken strips, ketchup, mayo, hot sauce, lettuce & tomatoes. Order no mayo or ketchup if you have a soul. $10 and you can make it 2 meals because the thing is huge.

Reaction Score
Capicolla is tough. Theres a fine line where it starts to contain too much fat for me. With that said, the genoa is replaceable.
I've yet to come across an italian meat I don't love. Salami, prosciutto, proscuittini, Capicola, coppa, soppresata, mortadella, pepperoni, pancetta. I need some cured meats pronto.

Reaction Score
Nobody makes great bread in CT. When I ran a Deli I had bread driven in from Brooklyn every day because you cant even find anyone to make 3 lb Rye loaves in CT.
You obviously have not visited Brooklyn Bakery in Waterbury.

Reaction Score
Leebo, where are you in Japan?

There used to be a beef katsu restaurant in Dojima in Osaka (they had a restaurant in Ginza also) called Grill Bon. Amazing sandwiches. I prefer pork katsu, but the beef was amazing and it had the regular katsu sauce on it.

But you're right, Japan is not where you go for sandwiches.

I'm in Kobe, so Osaka is a pretty easy trip for me. I'll look into that :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the Torta Picosa from El Charrito:
o.jpg

Smoked ham, tinga steak, spicy pork, Mexican cheese, chipotle mayo, black beans, cilantro, onions and a really nice hot sauce. If you get it, grab some extra hot sauce, it's great, the orange one, not the green.

Which El Charrito is that? I need to get that sandwich on my travel calendar.

I can't really recall a to-die-for sandwich from when I lived in CT. I'm sure I had some good ones, but none stick out. When I lived in Quincy, the Bobby Orr at The Fours was a go-to (sirloin tips on a garlicky roll with provolone). Probably had 20 of those in the two years I was up there.

But now I live in Pittsburgh, where sandwiches are really an art form (because anyplace with a tablecloth is frou-frou). Lots of favorites from here and none are from Primantis. Lucy's banh mi cart is an institution. FatHeads and Big Jim's serve sandwiches that could feed three. Fried fish sandwiches are an intensely debated category.

My favorites include The Havana from Bluebird Kitchen (smoked ham and kurabuta pork belly), the fried cod sandwich at Shelby's Station, the eggplant parm at Big Jim's in the Run, and anything from Gaucho Parilla's (which has had a line out the door since opening last year). Here's a photo of Gaucho's rosemary beef sandwich.
our-rosemary-beef-sandwich.jpg

I'll also include a short sample of some of the better Pittsburgh sandwiches that abound, though by no means exhaustive.

I will disagree with @August_West on bread, however. One of the things CT ex-pats here in Pittsburgh often bemoan is that we cannot get a hard roll. Nobody makes them here. Second to lack of NH-style pizza, a good hard roll is the home food we miss the most.

Reaction Score
I'll put the chicken cutlet or beef cutlet grinder from Maple Giant against anything in New Jersey. I almost made my son go to Trinity just so I could visit there more often!
The chicken cutlet grinder is the only sandwich I've found since moving up here that compares to South Jersey/Philly hoagies.

Hoping after I try a few more from this thread I can add to that list.

Reaction Score
This is my go to Italian now. Noel's in Colchester. Only a tad bit more meet than the local subway throws on their combo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The roast beef sandwich at the Coney Island Bar in Reno, NV. Nothing but house roasted beef, homemade white bread and a little bit of mayo (I add horseradish). Incredibly simple but amazingly addictive.
o.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The one I frequent is in Greenwich

So many restaurants named that in the West, I'm not sure which, if any, are part of a chain or not. Is the Greenwich one an indie operation?

Reaction Score
Forgot about this place. Bushel 'N Peck in Worcester. They have 4 locations now (2 in Worcester, Grafton and Clinton). Awesome sandwiches and cheap Worcester prices for what you get. One of the bread options is their own baked Italian bread. They take a whole loaf and a sandwich is made on half of the loaf. My favorite was the Blowzer - Roast beef, turkey, corned beef, provolone cheese, swiss cheese, L-T-O, mustard, and mayo (I don't get mustard) on an italian bread. Awesome sandwich.

I need to go visit our daughter at Clark now. :D

Reaction Score
So many restaurants named that in the West, I'm not sure which, if any, are part of a chain or not. Is the Greenwich one an indie operation?

I think so, I only know of their one location, and they have a food truck as well.

Reaction Score
You will never find a bigger dive bar than Matty's Corner in Black Rock. The Saturday afternoon hot roast beef sandwich special is amazing for $3.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom