OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
View attachment 15307 Half an italian grinder from Carbone's in Torrington, CT. August your comment is blasphemy, time for you to leave the board again.

That bread looks like absolute crap.

That is the major reason Hoagies win. Their bread is 1000 times better.

August_West

Reaction Score
Tell me that's not mayo on your combo grinder. A greater sin.

OMG Trest you are right!

Superjohn just self'd himself right off the board.

LOL @ mayo on an Italian.

Such a CT grinder fail.

Reaction Score
Italian Hot Dog (Dog with Fries/Potatoes). Ate them all the time as a kid. Can't find them anywhere now but I know how to make em.

Oh August by the way, ketchup makes it tastier.

IMG_2357-960.jpg

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
A grinder without mayo isn't worth eating. Dead serious.

Reaction Score
Best sandwiches I've found in denver are at masterpiece deli in lohi. They do an awesome roast beef and provolone on rye with piquillo peppers, arugula, homemade horseradish sauce, and red onions.

They do a different special every day too, and I've never had a bad sandwich there. Pricey but well worth it.

Reaction Score
This one is ham and genoa salami, provolone with lettuce, tomato, roasted red peppers, mayo, hot sauce, oil, salt, pepper. It weighs 4 lbs. This one was brought back to me, insider trick is to get hot capicola instead of ham. Best Italian grinder I ever had was back in the day at Salerno's in Torrington under the old ownership. Their Godfather grinder- Prosciutto, prosciuttini, capicola, genoa, provolone, stuffed cherry peppers with the works on Milite's bread. Would eat one about once a week.

August_West

Reaction Score
This one is ham and genoa salami, provolone with lettuce, tomato, roasted red peppers, mayo, hot sauce, oil, salt, pepper. It weighs 4 lbs. This one was brought back to me, insider trick is to get hot capicola instead of ham. Best Italian grinder I ever had was back in the day at Salerno's in Torrington under the old ownership. Their Godfather grinder- Prosciutto, prosciuttini, capicola, genoa, provolone, stuffed cherry peppers with the works on Milite's bread. Would eat one about once a week.

but was that mayo?

Reaction Score
but was that mayo?
If mayo freaks you out don't get it. Sometimes I like just oil and vinegar other times I get mayo and hot sauce, if I'm feeling really crazy I have them add a little mustard.

August_West

Reaction Score
It's Milite's bread in Waterbury, great bread. You're embarrassing yourself.

Nobody makes great bread in CT. When I ran a Deli I had bread driven in from Brooklyn every day because you cant even find anyone to make 3 lb Rye loaves in CT.

August_West

Reaction Score
If mayo freaks you out don't get it. Sometimes I like just oil and vinegar other times I get mayo and hot sauce, if I'm feeling really crazy I have them add a little mustard.

It only freaks me out on an Italian.

or actually come to think of it also:

pastrami
Corned Beef
Cheese steaks
and probably 100 other things

its great on a BLT though.

Reaction Score
It only freaks me out on an Italian.

or actually come to think of it also:

pastrami
Corned Beef
Cheese steaks
and probably 100 other things

its great on a BLT though.
Gross, mayo would obviously ruin corned beef, pastrami, cheese steaks, Italian beef etc. I think it works pretty well with deli meats though, just don't slather it on, always get some hot sauce on too. Garlic mayo on jibarito's works quite well also.

August_West

Reaction Score
Gross, mayo would obviously ruin corned beef, pastrami, cheese steaks, Italian beef etc. I think it works pretty well with deli meats though, just don't slather it on, always get some hot sauce on too. Garlic mayo on jibarito's works quite well also.

I dont mind mayo on Roast beef, for example (like mixing some horeseradish into it too, but I can go straight mayo in a pinch) . But I dont like it on Ham at all. Ham is for mustard. Turkey (deli turkey which I dont eat often but sometimes am forced to eat in lunch settings, deli turkey better than thaksgiving turkey by a mile) I can go either way, mayo or mustard depending on what else is happening on the sandwich

Easy guide for cold cuts
Pork = mustard
Beef = mayo
Italian styles - Oil and Vinegar

By the way if anyone eats pastrami or corned beef as a "cold" cut tell me now so I can put you on ignore.

A guy at my work gets cold pastrami grinders. (with lettuce tomoato and mayo!) the fact that places in CT make cold pastrami sandwiches makes me want to go postal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whatever any of those taco trucks on every corner are serving.

Seriously: When we lived in Queens, we'd get the torta pumas in Corona. It's really popular now, but fame hasn't gone to head:
Sausage; deep fried chicken cutlet; a chorizo omelet; head cheese and ham; refried beans; pickled jalapeños, lettuce, tomato, and avocado; Oaxacan-style cheese.
20120405-200568-sandwich-a-day-tortas-neza-torta-puma-corona-queens-nyc_02.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
Whatever any of those taco trucks on every corner are serving.

Seriously: When we lived in Queens, we'd get the torta pumas in Corona. It's really popular now, but fame hasn't gone to head:
Sausage; deep fried chicken cutlet; a chorizo omelet; head cheese and ham; refried beans; pickled jalapeños, lettuce, tomato, and avocado; Oaxacan-style cheese.
View attachment 15311

whoa

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
dont disagree there. The thing with grinders is what constitutes an actual grinder? If we are going to narrow the scope to compare apples to apples. (Like and Italian cold cut grinder Vs. a NJ Hoagie...the Hoagie wins. ) but since the grinder can encompass anything on a long roll in CT I guess we cant really compare.
CT grinders win hands down. Jersey's entry would have to be a fat sandwich:

menu1.png

#8 is awesome, at least until the blood test results come back.

RU+Fat+Bitch.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle