OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
CT grinders win hands down. Jersey's entry would have to be a fat sandwich:

menu1.png

#8 is awesome, at least until the blood test results come back.

Youre too far north. I know, I grew up there.

You need to be Trenton and South, in the Philly metro area to get Jersey sandwiches at their pinnacle.

Reaction Score
KO's lunch date reminded me its time for another AW food thread.

We all know about Philly Cheesesteaks, and Chicago Italian Beef and Roast Pork Specials and katz's Pastrami and all the famous stuff.

What are your off the beaten path and oddball selections?

Lets face it, I'll probably tell you your choice is inferior to mine, but dont let that scare you off. I have an open mind.

I'll start with one of my favorite sandwiches in the world.
The "Super Heebster" (Whitefish & Baked Salmon Salad with Horseradish Dill Cream Cheese and Wasabi Flying Fish Roe on a Bagel) from Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side.

0429111343.jpg

What you got, Boneyard?

Sounds pretty damn good, I'll have to try it next time I'm down there, but man I rarely get out of my neighborhood except to go to the and leave on the weekends.

Reaction Score
atomica.jpg
Looks a little like the Atomica from Cemitas Puebla, the chorizo eggs add a new element though.
Whatever any of those taco trucks on every corner are serving.

Seriously: When we lived in Queens, we'd get the torta pumas in Corona. It's really popular now, but fame hasn't gone to head:
Sausage; deep fried chicken cutlet; a chorizo omelet; head cheese and ham; refried beans; pickled jalapeños, lettuce, tomato, and avocado; Oaxacan-style cheese.
View attachment 15311

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sounds pretty damn good, I'll have to try it next time I'm down there, but man I rarely get out of my neighborhood except to go to the and leave on the weekends.

I went a whole calendar year never going north of 14th once so I feel you.

Reaction Score

You need to be Trenton and South, in the Philly metro area to get Jersey sandwiches at their pinnacle.
Don't know South Jersey well but know it has great hoagies just like Philly. I lived in North Jersey and everyone of my relatives still live there. They think their pizza, sandwiches and everything else is awesome when it's mediocre at best. They do have bombarse italian food though. . . . . . . I'm watching Anthony Bourdain's show one night and he's in North Jersey at Hiram's hot dogs. I think to myself, I've been to Hiram's and it's my uncle's favorite place for dogs. As I'm thinking that, standing right next to Bourdain is my uncle. The whole segment he's standing right next to Anthony Bourdain and has no clue who he is.

Reaction Score
I mourn the passing of Johnny McQuire's Deli in Aspen, CO - their El Buey was a kick ass sandwich

The Dangerous Dom and the Porketta sub from Genoa Importing Loud0nville, NY

The cold honeycomb tripe in red sauce on a sub roll from Milano Gourmet in NYC - only available when the tripe is there, got to hit it right.

I'll add the Los Muchachos arepa at Caracas on the LES is pretty damn good

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I've lived in South Jersey too. I agree that they are better, but CT grinders are better still.

Philly is pretty good, still not quite as good as CT though.

Reaction Score
Zingerman's in Ann Arbor made the best craziest sandwiches I have ever eaten...

but they have recently been dethroned by the guy down the block who makes this:
o.jpg

It's a tripleta from a Puerto Rican sandwich place nearby. Loaded with fresh roasted chicken breast, pork and ham, plus lettuce, tomato, cheese and home-made season & mayonnaise. I don't know how they do it, and maybe it's crazy that they cook it from scratch (takes 45 minutes) but it is the best thing ever.

Reaction Score
August and CL82, you guys ever had the Tomato pies from Trenton? If so, any good?

Reaction Score

o.jpg

It's a tripleta from a Puerto Rican sandwich place nearby. Loaded with fresh roasted chicken breast, pork and ham, plus lettuce, tomato, cheese and home-made season & mayonnaise. I don't know how they do it, and maybe it's crazy that they cook it from scratch (takes 45 minutes) but it is the best thing ever.
Zingerman's is good but a bit expensive. The Puerto Rican sandwich sounds awesome, what's the name of the place?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Savory Grill in Truro Ma:
Chicken Parm Wrap with Crimini mushrooms OR The Pilgrim Press (fresh turkey, stuffing and cranberry mayo on a rosemary chiabatta pressed).
Most any place in Tampa - a Cuban

Reaction Score
When I was in high school I played in a soccer tournament in Burlington, VT. We ate lunch at this sandwich shop that was basically a big trailer home with yellow siding and picnic tables out front. I have no idea what it was called, but I remember the sandwiches were amazing

They had a sandwich called the witch doctor that I can't remember everything about but turkey, horseradish, honey mustard, and awesome homemade French bread.

If anyone has any clue what place I'm talking about please tell me! It's evaded me for a decade now

Reaction Score
Back in the day, used to love the roast beef sandwiches at the local bar, but it could have been the beer and the smoke in the alley. Ah, the memories!

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the Torta Picosa from El Charrito:
o.jpg

Smoked ham, tinga steak, spicy pork, Mexican cheese, chipotle mayo, black beans, cilantro, onions and a really nice hot sauce. If you get it, grab some extra hot sauce, it's great, the orange one, not the green.

Reaction Score

o.jpg

Oooh, that looks good. Almost makes me want to go back to grad school at Michigan. Almost. Zingerman's was there even when I was there. And I'm old.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever been to Koch's Deli in Philadelphia? My brother worked there when he was at UPenn and he swore by the place. I ate there once when I visited him but I don't remember it all that well. Looked up their website and it looks like the famous NYC delis. At half the price.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the Torta Picosa from El Charrito:
o.jpg

Smoked ham, tinga steak, spicy pork, Mexican cheese, chipotle mayo, black beans, cilantro, onions and a really nice hot sauce. If you get it, grab some extra hot sauce, it's great, the orange one, not the green.
That looks friggin' awesome!

Reaction Score
On the radio, it was NPR, they mentioned peanut butter & jelly sandwich as the best road trip food, but one person said even better is a variation of it. You still use peanut butter, but instead of jelly, they said to use a Korean sweet & spicy sauce called Go-Chu-Jang that is based on hot peppers. I found a bottle in the supermarket where they have oriental foods, it is kind of thick and the flavor is strong and weird. I didn't like the PB&gochujang sandwich but was able to eat it without gagging, but it left a strong aftertaste.

Reaction Score
I have been around the sandwich block.

Too many Philly cheesesteak joints to name
Muffuletta at Central Grocery in New Orleans
Italian Beef at Al's in Chicago
Primanti's Cappy with the works in Pittsburgh
Grew up a couple blocks from Franklin Giant and Maple Giant
Worked next to Wethersfield Pizza for three years
Pastrami on rye at Carnegie Deli

Best sandwich, hands down, has been the roast pork at DiNics in Philly. Pork, Au jus, sharp prov, broccoli rabe and Italian long hots. There is nothing even close to that masterpiece.

Reaction Score
Oooh, that looks good. Almost makes me want to go back to grad school at Michigan. Almost. Zingerman's was there even when I was there. And I'm old.

Zingerman's is great. I'm in Buffalo now, that is where this is made. A guy directly from Puerto Rico makes it.

Reaction Score
Zingerman's is good but a bit expensive. The Puerto Rican sandwich sounds awesome, what's the name of the place?

Saizon Criollo here in Buffalo. A rinky-dinky joint.

People say Zingerman's is expensive, but of course, the sandwiches are huge. You split them with a friend. That's how an $11 sandwich becomes $5.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom