OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
KO's lunch date reminded me its time for another AW food thread.

We all know about Philly Cheesesteaks, and Chicago Italian Beef and Roast Pork Specials and katz's Pastrami and all the famous stuff.

What are your off the beaten path and oddball selections?

Lets face it, I'll probably tell you your choice is inferior to mine, but dont let that scare you off. I have an open mind.

I'll start with one of my favorite sandwiches in the world.
The "Super Heebster" (Whitefish & Baked Salmon Salad with Horseradish Dill Cream Cheese and Wasabi Flying Fish Roe on a Bagel) from Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side.

0429111343.jpg

What you got, Boneyard?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best bacon egg and cheese in the world is at the four corners Mobil gas station in Brookfield, CT. I have never had a better one anywhere I've been. I live in Danbury and will make the 20 minute drive to get one when there are dozens of deli's around me.

Reaction Score
I used to love the chicken cheese steak or the Thurs special of meatloaf, cheddar, mushrooms @ Corner Deli in Hamden. The owners sold and have been back a few times and found it bland and expensive.

KO's lunch date reminded me its time for another AW food thread.

We all know about Philly Cheesesteaks, and Chicago Italian Beef and Roast Pork Specials and katz's Pastrami and all the famous stuff.

What are your off the beaten path and oddball selections?

Lets face it, I'll probably tell you your choice is inferior to mine, but done let that scare you off. I have an open mind.

I'll start with one of my favorite sandwiches in the world.
The "Super Heebster" (Whitefish & Baked Salmon Salad with Horseradish Dill Cream Cheese and Wasabi Flying Fish Roe on a Bagel) from Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side.

0429111343.jpg

What you got, Boneyard?

August_West

Reaction Score
The best bacon egg and cheese in the world is at the four corners Mobil gas station in Brookfield, CT. I have never had a better one anywhere I've been. I live in Danbury and will make the 20 minute drive to get one when there are dozens of deli's around me.

Nice. Im a sucker for a good BEC. CT has it down to an art form

August_West

Reaction Score
Dude, are you from Connecticut?

GRINDERS

CT Grinders are a travesty.

There I said it.

CT does a ton of food things really well. The classic CT grinder doesnt hold a candle to a NJ Hoagie.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Motta's in Columbia does a pretty nice hot capicola on house-baked bread. For those in Fairfield County willing to cross the NY border, Cameron's in Cross River has the Cluck'en Russian: chicken cutlet, muenster, bacon, and Russian dressing. That may be the single best sandwich I've ever had outside of a big-name joint.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No love for Thompson's subs by the old Depot Campus? You'd never expect in a million years a sandwich like that would come out of that dinky place.

Also Cuban sandwiches.

Reaction Score
Country Cow Deli in Fairfield makes the best BEC

bacon, double egg, cheese, home fries (on it), with salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Heaven on earth

That is not a bacon egg & cheese. The only ingredients in a bacon egg & cheese are bacon, eggs, cheese, and your choice of bread with salt and pepper to taste.

Reaction Score
That is not a bacon egg & cheese. The only ingredients in a bacon egg & cheese are bacon, eggs, cheese, and your choice of bread with salt and pepper to taste.

Sorry my addition of home fries offends the good name of BECs!

Anyway, subtract the home fries and its still the best I've had. Better?

August_West

Reaction Score
Country Cow Deli in Fairfield makes the best BEC

bacon, double egg, cheese, home fries (on it), with salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Heaven on earth

When I had an intern working for me a while back I sent them from Essex to Fairfield and back specifically for a country cow BEC. I miss that poor schmuck.
Motta's in Columbia does a pretty nice hot capicola on house-baked bread. For those in Fairfield County willing to cross the NY border, Cameron's in Cross River has the Cluck'en Russian: chicken cutlet, muenster, bacon, and Russian dressing. That may be the single best sandwich I've ever had outside of a big-name joint.

those both sound bangin'

I want a Clucken russian. like stat.

Reaction Score
No love for Thompson's subs by the old Depot Campus? You'd never expect in a million years a sandwich like that would come out of that dinky place.

Also Cuban sandwiches.

For another hole in the wall sandwich, Sara's Pockets Falafel Pocket. You can barely tell it's even a restaurant from the outside.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it is a little off topic, but I had one of these yesterday and it was freaking amazing.

13508837_10154126469546023_5784824242055288393_n-300x300.jpg

The Million Dollar Bacon Burger is made from fresh ground beef chuck, brisket and short rib. The burger is topped with Cooper Sharp and American cheese, a sweet onion jam and bacon that is smoked before being paired with brown sugar, cayenne pepper and Aleppo pepper. The next step is smoking the bacon again for eight hours before serving the completed burger on a fresh potato roll from Conshohocken Bakery.

It was pretty darn good and this picture doesn't do it justice.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it is a little off topic, but I had one of these yesterday and it was freaking amazing.

13508837_10154126469546023_5784824242055288393_n-300x300.jpg

The Million Dollar Bacon Burger is made from fresh ground beef chuck, brisket and short rib. The burger is topped with Cooper Sharp and American cheese, a sweet onion jam and bacon that is smoked before being paired with brown sugar, cayenne pepper and Aleppo pepper. The next step is smoking the bacon again for eight hours before serving the completed burger on a fresh potato roll from Conshohocken Bakery.

It was pretty darn good and this picture doesn't do it justice.

We can allow it. And Holy , that looks great.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:

Le Pig Mac from Cochon Butcher, New Orleans.

Seared Gulf Shrimp Po Boy and/or Grass-Fed Meatloaf Po Boy at Killer Po Boys, New Orleans.

Fried Oyster and Bacon sandwich at the Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NYC.

Porchetta sandwich from Skappo Merkato in New Haven.

PLT (porchetta, arugula, tomato confit) from Meat & Co., New Haven.

Chicken Parm Grinder from Wethersfield Pizza.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If anyone is ever looking for a good sandwich in Boston check out Cafe Parish.

It's owned and operated by a local Michelin rated chef who got all the best chefs in Boston to each design a gourmet sandwich named after them to their style. The whole menu is crazy gourmet sandwiches with ingredient's you'd never expect.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Fergie ham sandwich at Luiggi's in Lewiston, Maine. Had it a few times in the early 80's and have never been able to duplicate it at home.

Reaction Score
CT Grinders are a travesty.

There I said it.

CT does a ton of food things really well. The classic CT grinder doesnt hold a candle to a NJ Hoagie.
I'll put the chicken cutlet or beef cutlet grinder from Maple Giant against anything in New Jersey. I almost made my son go to Trinity just so I could visit there more often!

August_West

Reaction Score
I'll put the chicken cutlet or beef cutlet grinder from Maple Giant against anything in New Jersey. I almost made my son go to Trinity just so I could visit there more often!

dont disagree there. The thing with grinders is what constitutes an actual grinder? If we are going to narrow the scope to compare apples to apples. (Like and Italian cold cut grinder Vs. a NJ Hoagie...the Hoagie wins. ) but since the grinder can encompass anything on a long roll in CT I guess we cant really compare.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@August_West have you been to Bun on the Run in Centerbrook? Their wraps/sammiches are home runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom