OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite "off the beaten path" sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great sandwiches and great beer at Armsby Abbey. What's not to like? And people are always putting down Worcester?

So far....we've done Armsby Abbey, That was amazing food to go with the Hill Farmstead offerings....the Fix for amazing burgers and Wormtown brews....and Zorba's Taverna for pretty decent Greek fare & the "old standby" beers. The only "local brew" they offered was Opa Opa. And they were out. :-(

temery

What?
Reaction Score
frsd4_moz.jpg

I'm convinced it's all genetic. My cholesterol has been the same for 30 years.

I've gone a year or two eating sausage and cheese biscuits for breakfast, and meatball and cheese grinders for dinner. My cholesterol is the same as when I eat oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for dinner.

My diet isn't going to kill me. It'll likely be my kidneys, or somebody here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Offered to be helpful rather than authoritative or in any way complete, here are 4 sandwich places I learned about through Yelp and liked when I visited:

David's Brisket House in Brooklyn, where I enjoyed the pastrami, corned beef & brisket, all separately, after waiting for them to reopen after Friday afternoon Muslim prayers.

Harry & Ida's Meat & Supply Co pastrami in the East Village, north of Tompkins Square Park.

Lobster roll from Lobster Hut truck on Bridgeport Ave in Milford was the best I've had in recent memory. Stopped on a lark, with medium expectations, though I looked at Yelp after the first time I drove by it.

Gaetano's Kovac, which is my only entry that relies upon multiple ingredients: chicken cutlet, broccoli rabe, roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto. Enjoyed from Monroe & Westport locations, not yet Stratford.

"Enjoy every sandwich."
- Warren Zevon

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Two items of note. At least to me.
I forgot to mention my favorite home-made, late night ,craving greasy-spicy food snack. Which I haven't had in years. I push the limits on the dietary restrictions the cardiac and vascular doctors impose on me, but haven't had one of these since all the quad bypass 4 years ago. Hmmm. 4 years ago tomorrow, now that I think of it. Maybe it's time to celebrate with one of these simply snack sandwiches!

Grilled cheese on real Jewish rye bread with lengthwise slices of andouille. I treat the andouille slices like bacon, and fry them up before putting them in the middle of the cheese (usually pepper jack, but even American will do) and frying the sandwich up. I have on occasion substituted chorizo for the andouille, but prefer the texture of good chopped or very coarse ground andouille. I have often thought that this sandwich should be dunked in a nice cornmeal batter and deep fried, but that's way too much work for 1 in the morning.

Item #2. In an earlier post on this thread, I typed the word unfamiliar, but the stupid filter left the last four letters (L,I,A,R) off. I would guess it did the same this time. Does it do the same to familiar? How about familiarity? unfamiliarity? How does this thing work? Removing that sequence of letters from a longer word seems a bit of a reach for a profanity filter.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Before bicycling around coastal Madison & Guilford today, I enjoyed a peppered brisket sandwich from The Stand, in Branford, and ate a half-dozen ears of uncooked corn from Cole's (2 bi-color) in my car before leaving the parking lot. 4 would have been enough.
I was disappointed later to discover that Bufalina is closed on Sunday. Not knowing this, I'd passed up a Lobster Pound lobster roll on the water earlier.
Anyone here have an opinion on Lobster Pound?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Sorry. I was messing with someone. Hadn't anticipated the problem with familiar.

I forgot to mention my favorite home-made, late night ,craving greasy-spicy food snack. Which I haven't had in years. I push the limits on the dietary restrictions the cardiac and vascular doctors impose on me, but haven't had one of these since all the quad bypass 4 years ago. Hmmm. 4 years ago tomorrow, now that I think of it. Maybe it's time to celebrate with one of these simply snack sandwiches!

Grilled cheese on real Jewish rye bread with lengthwise slices of andouille. I treat the andouille slices like bacon, and fry them up before putting them in the middle of the cheese (usually pepper jack, but even American will do) and frying the sandwich up. I have on occasion substituted chorizo for the andouille, but prefer the texture of good chopped or very coarse ground andouille. I have often thought that this sandwich should be dunked in a nice cornmeal batter and deep fried, but that's way too much work for 1 in the morning.

Item #2. In an earlier post on this thread, I typed the word unfami , but the stupid filter left the last four letters (L,I,A,R) off. I would guess it did the same this time. Does it do the same to fami ? How about familiarity? unfamiliarity? How does this thing work? Removing that sequence of letters from a longer word seems a bit of a reach for a profanity filter.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry. I was messing with someone. Hadn't anticipated the problem with familiar.

"someone", eh?

I'm just going to test if we can still type "shill" or "chill"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Item #2. In an earlier post on this thread, I typed the word unfamiliar, but the stupid filter left the last four letters (L,I,A,R) off. I would guess it did the same this time. Does it do the same to familiar? How about familiarity? unfamiliarity? How does this thing work? Removing that sequence of letters from a longer word seems a bit of a reach for a profanity filter.

My go-to diner meal after the bar at 1 am is a grilled cheese sandwich with grilled onions. Using rye bread would probably make it a million times better. I'll have to try that one.

Best meatball grinder I've ever had was at Joey Garlic's on the Berlin Turnpike. That thing was as big as the plate, and somehow I ate the whole thing. It was delicious.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Using rye bread would probably make it a million times better. I'll have to try that one.
Of course it would.

In fact that might be a good next thread, because while white bread has a very narrow scope of legitimate use, It is overall horrible and people who choose white bread over other options when available are as developmentally taste deficient as their ketchup loving counterparts.

In fact I'd hazard a guess there is a lot of overlap there.

Reaction Score
Lamb Belly Pastrami topped with a devilled egg emulsion at The W Hotel in SanFrancisco, right across from the Moscone Center. It is only available at the bar.

Not many good subs in upstate NY but Sopranos in Waverly is pretty good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Of course it would.

In fact that might be a good next thread, because while white bread has a very narrow scope of legitimate use, It is overall horrible and people who choose white bread over other options when available are as developmentally taste deficient as their ketchup loving counterparts.

I like to dip my white bread in ketchup, what's your point?

Reaction Score
The tuna melt at The Sherwood Diner in Westport is my all time favorite.

My more off the beaten path selection is a Banh My from pretty much any street cart in Vietnam.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Of course it would.

I despise caraway seeds... that's the biggest problem I have with rye bread. I've had caraway-less rye/light on the caraway and it's awesome... someone around here decided that rye bread needs to have more caraway that bread. It drives me nuts.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
dont disagree there. The thing with grinders is what constitutes an actual grinder? If we are going to narrow the scope to compare apples to apples. (Like and Italian cold cut grinder Vs. a NJ Hoagie...the Hoagie wins. ) but since the grinder can encompass anything on a long roll in CT I guess we cant really compare.

Having lived outside of Philly for nearly 20 years now.. I'm with you on the Italian Hoagie being better here... I could eat them everyday for the rest of my life.... but no one can make a meatball hoagie that comes close to a meatball grinder in CT. You'd think with all the freaking Italians around here they'd manage to turn out some decent pizza or meatball hoagie... but nope... the cheese and the sauce are usually crap... and the meatballs themselves are awful. I've been to great Italian places here that screw it up. You walk into any hole in the wall pizza place in CT... I'm not even talking Wooster St. just anywhere... and the pizza and meatball grinders will blow anything in this area away.

Reaction Score
You will never find a bigger dive bar than Matty's Corner in Black Rock. The Saturday afternoon hot roast beef sandwich special is amazing for $3.50.
I've driven by 100X and have never been in (little parking). I'll have to try some Saturday.

Reaction Score
If anyone is going through (or lives in) Northeast CT - you owe it to yourself to stop by The Stomping Ground in Putnam. Their grilled cheeses & their Big Papi burrito in particular are incredible. Always great interesting beers on tap too. If you go later than 8 pm however there will likely be live music playing and minimal seating.

Reaction Score
Greenwich has two amazing sandwich places. In Old Greenwich, Alpen Pantry makes simple, but incredible sandwiches that use fresh bread and deli meat delivered daily from Manhattan. Their "Bomber" (rare roast beef, blue cheese dressing, tomato, lettuce, black bread) is my favorite.

In the Byram neighborhood, Firehouse Deli is the best deli I've ever been to. Huge wedge sandwiches for fair prices. Their "Real Deal Holyfield" (grilled chicken, bacon, cheddar, homemade fresh mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, homemade honey mustard) on a wedge is heavenly. Big enough for 2 servings but eat the whole wedge and you have a nice 3 hour afternoon nap.

Reaction Score
I've driven by 100X and have never been in (little parking). I'll have to try some Saturday.

I've usually got a black huskies ball cap on. Come on in. Lots of characters.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The hot pastrami with Swiss from La Salle's in Collinsville, and the chicken cutlet grinder from Claudia's in Farmington are both excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom