OT - Live Concerts, your favorite? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Live Concerts, your favorite?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
True story. My last rock/pop concert was in the 70's when Traffic and Stevie Winwood played the Boston Conservatory (I believe. Re: Wavy Gravy). The people were loud and unruly. We sat in the balcony. Someone threw a liquor bottle from above us. It flew passed my left ear, struck the railing just below me, broke, and cut some innocent young lady just above her eye. That was it for me. I never looked back. Only mature music with adults from then on.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
OT/to the OT

Last weekend, I was involved in a Mendelssohn concert in a local NY Church; very little rehearsal time, very little money for the orchestra and some pieces none of us knew (including me)

And yet a fine time was had by all...and some decent and thoughtful playing materialized
I'm actually quite pleased by the result and thought I'd share.

Dropbox - NYO-Mendelssohn-Fair Melusine10.14.17.wav

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Rolling Stones at Toad's Place in New Haven in the late 80's.

A friend had tickets to see a local band there and gave me one. He wouldn't take money for the ticket so I promised him a beer, which probably exceeded the cost of the ticket. It was not known that the Stones would be performing at such a small venue that night. It was s surprise performance, a warm up for the upcoming world tour. The place was packed with a few hundred people. Many didn't look like the normal scruffy crowd. We knew something was up and when we heard, "Ladies and gentlemen - The Rolling Stones" we knew what it was. A great concert up close.

The Stones did that a lot. My best friend from high school saw a show in Worcester, probably about 1980. He was walking around, saw a chalkboard in front of a bar that held maybe 50 people, which said the Stones were playing there that evening, tickets were maybe $5. It didn't sell out. The next night they were playing in a big venue like the Civic Center in Hartford or Providence.

Reaction Score
I was going as for just ONE... but they'll never fly on the Boneyard so give me your top 5

5. Rick James (Hartford Civic Center)
4. Jay-Z (HOT Jam, Hartford Civic Center
3. Michael Jackson (BAD Tour, Hartford Civic Center)
2. Run-DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J (Fresh Fest, Springfield Civic Center)
#1 MC Hammer with Vanilla Ice opening... it was so much energy on that stage (Hartford Civic Center)
Billy Joel at Madison Square Gardens

Reaction Score
1. Shea Stadium, August 1992 - One of the 4 Eric Clapton/Elton John shows that year at Dodger Stadium (2) and Shea Stadium (2). Bonnie Raitt opened... was on the field for that 2 full concerts in one event. I remember Clapton's percussionist Ray Cooper that night inciting the crowd with the very large gong at the back of the stage... the crowd was going crazy, and he was loving it! Then, I remember standing there at the end of Clapton's 2 1/2 hours looking up into the stands... the place was electric, and I remember thinking "there is still a whole Elton John concert to come!" That was a truly great feeling. Clapton joined John and his band on stage for "Runaway Train". Just an amazing 6 1/2 hour night of music.

2. The Who - Tommy Reunion Tour, 1989, the Meadowlands. The Who's first tour since 1982. I was totally geeked-up for this concert after being introduced to "Tommy" by some co-workers on a lunch break during one of my summer jobs in high school a couple of years earlier. Tommy was - uh, different from most anything I had experienced up until that time, to say the least. Anyway, the Who played for over 3 hours that night, and Pete Townshend windmilled several times during Pinball Wizard, which he had said he would not do before the tour - the crowd of course went into a frenzy when that happened. Great show.

3. Second concert - Boston, November, 1987 at the New Haven Coliseum. Memorable in particular because of Tom Scholz' 10-minute guitar solo about halfway through the concert. He may have been an egotistical jerk, but WOW could he riff on a guitar. He is definitely in the pantheon of great guitarists along with Clapton, Eddie VH and a few others, just a touch below Jimi - Jimi being the greatest of all time. That 10 minutes got me hooked on live concerts for awhile.

4. First concert - Lynyrd Skynyrd original reunion tour, September 1987 at the New Haven Coliseum. You never forget your first... particularly since I went with my now-deceased brother, who was a huge Skynyrd fan throughout our youth. I remember being impressed at how well brother Johnny Van Zant could sound like his brother, while also realizing from words of others that Ronnie had a presence on stage about him during his time in the 1970's that few could touch, even his brother. I also remember Charlie Daniels joining the band on stage and they all did a rendition of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" that totally kicked ass - I loved that song when it came out in 1979. And good ol' Charlie really can play a great fiddle. Another person with GREAT stage presence, bolstered by the fact that he is a big man who seemed to tower over everyone else, particularly with that big 10-gallon cowboy hat of his.

5. All The Voices - numerous. A local UConn-centric band in the late 1980's into the 1990's that played at numerous bars and small concert venues throughout Connecticut during my college days and my 20's. I knew a couple of the band members through my roommates at the time, and we went to numerous shows. Always a fun time. They had several really good originals, and did a great cover of The Police's "So Lonely".

Honorable Mention: Billy Joel, The Eagles, Jimmy Buffet - Jimmy in particular has so much fun when he plays, you can not help but really enjoy his concerts and his Parrothead groupies... I have seen him twice.

Dishonorable Mention: I see a bunch of you who saw The Rolling Stones in concert and said they were great. I saw them at The Meadowlands in mid-August 1994 on the "Voodoo Lounge" Tour and I thought they sucked. They were kind of flat, and Mick's singing was weak. By far my most disappointing concert experience. With all of you who give a different account of other Stones concerts I chalk my experience up to an off night for Jagger, Richards and the boys.

I have really enjoyed reading all of your interesting and often descriptive answers on this topic.

JordyG

Reaction Score
OT/to the OT

Last weekend, I was involved in a Mendelssohn concert in a local NY Church; very little rehearsal time, very little money for the orchestra and some pieces none of us knew (including me)

And yet a fine time was had by all...and some decent and thoughtful playing materialized
I'm actually quite pleased by the result and thought I'd share.

Dropbox - NYO-Mendelssohn-Fair Melusine10.14.17.wav
Listened critically to Klemperer's version of his 4th with the Philharmonia last night. A original on Columbia SAX. I'd avoided it until now. Nice flow, not as plodding as I'd thought it would be. Szell's is more exciting and so well played though.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Listened critically to Klemperer's version of his 4th with the Philharmonia last night. A original on Columbia SAX. I'd avoided it until now. Nice flow, not as plodding as I'd thought it would be. Szell's is more exciting and so well played though.

We did the 5th on that concert and the unknown Infelice, concert aria

JordyG

Reaction Score
We did the 5th on that concert and the unknown Infelice, concert aria
Which church? Will there be more so I could attend?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1978, Louisville Summer Jams I & II. 5 bands at each concert that included Santana, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Heart, Frank Marino & Mahogony Rush, Fog Hat and a couple more of that caliber that I just can't remember.

JordyG

Reaction Score
1978, Louisville Summer Jams I & II. 5 bands at each concert that included Santana, Journey, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, Heart, Frank Marino & Mahogony Rush, Fog Hat and a couple more of that caliber that I just can't remember.
Google it. See if you can then remember. It helps.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Which church? Will there be more so I could attend?

There is going to be a free chamber orchestra concert on Thanksgiving Saturday at St. Veronica on Christopher Street...my fav's from the 70's when I started St. Luke's: Handel/Bach/Mozart/Haydn.

Details in westviewnews.org; the sponsor.
I thought I was retired...no such luck.

JordyG

Reaction Score
There is going to be a free chamber orchestra concert on Thanksgiving Saturday at St. Veronica on Christopher Street...my fav's from the 70's when I started St. Luke's: Handel/Bach/Mozart/Haydn.

Details in westviewnews.org; the sponsor.
I thought I was retired...no such luck.
Sleep when you're dead pal. While you're breathing there's always more to do. And more to love.

Last edited:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Grateful Dead - Red Rocks late 70's
Spyro Gyra - Newport Jazz Fest late 80's
Soulfest Percy Sledge, Booker T, George Clinton, Sam & Dave, et al - Roosevelt Stadium late 70's
Average White Band - Players Tavern, Westport CT late 70's
Steely Dan - Beacon Theatre multiple times
Allman Bros - Beacon Theatre multiple times
Kenny Loggins - Boston Commons early 90's
Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, CDB, Dickey Betts, et al - Orpheum Theatre late 70's

Reaction Score
Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Alan White - YES.

Reaction Score
Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Alan White - YES.
I saw the reunion tour at the Hartford Civic Center. Yes & Steely Dan are my all time favorites.

Reaction Score
1. Springsteen
2. Springsteen
3. Springsteen
4. Springsteen
500. Springsteen
(I have seen everyone of any consequence and, in my opinion, there is no comparison to a Bruce show.)

My school even has a pretty impressive Bruce Springsteen club for middle school students - check it out:
Jukebox Graduates

However top 5 non Bruce.
1. U2
2. Stones
3. Railroad Earth (a really great Jam Band)
4. Yes (loved Jon Anderson era)
5. Early Queen
5. Early Van Halen

Note: I have seen some interesting shows such as Live Aide and Pink Floyd's The (original) Wall concerts but I was listing overall performer, not specific shows.
What was good about Yes concerts was they, as does Springsteen, changed it up every night so if you were a groupie you heard a different playlist venue to venue.

Reaction Score
Might not be favorite but fits the most bizarre lineup headlined by Uriah Heep. First up was ZZ Top, followed by Earth, Wind & Fire, circa '73 in Allentown PA.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Might not be favorite but fits the most bizarre lineup headlined by Uriah Heep. First up was ZZ Top, followed by Earth, Wind & Fire, circa '73 in Allentown PA.
Sounds awesome. Maybe not as weird as the Ramones opening for the SOS Band in the Student Union quad circa 1983.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sounds awesome. Maybe not as weird as the Ramones opening for the SOS Band in the Student Union quad circa 1983.
None as odd as Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkee's July 17, 1967. It's a shame no one brought a camera of the crowd reaction.

Reaction Score
Janis Joplin - Fillmore East, Philadelphia - 1968
Bruce - several times
The Doors - Susquehanna University - 1966
Katie Lang - New Haven
Stones - 2010’s

Reaction Score
The Stones did that a lot. My best friend from high school saw a show in Worcester, probably about 1980. He was walking around, saw a chalkboard in front of a bar that held maybe 50 people, which said the Stones were playing there that evening, tickets were maybe $5. It didn't sell out. The next night they were playing in a big venue like the Civic Center in Hartford or Providence.
The club was Sir Morgan's Cove. The Stones were recording a album in North Brookfield , a few towns away. My father worked for the telephone company at the time, and was fixing the phones at the farm they were recording at. At supper that night he told us about this small english fellow that was keeping him company while he worked on the phone lines. When he was done, the english fellow asked my father if he'd like a picture or show tickets. My father looked at him and asked why? Mick Jagger. True story.

Reaction Score
At the time I thought I was overpaying, $9.00 ticket for Rush. REO and Blue Oyster Cult. Rush opened and played for 30 minutes, closed with working man. REO came on and played for 45 minutes and closed with riding the storm out, and then got an 1.5 hours of BOC. A fun night. 1977

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bumping this one again. It's taken me a while to realize it, but I'm thinking the Moore Theater is the best venue in Seattle. Great accoustics, every show I've been to there is really good. Tonight I saw the Swedish sister duo First Aid Kit. Fantastic show from beginning to finish. The song that the crowd responded to the most was just the perfect set up. They are sisters, they're performing in Seattle...why not do a cover tune of a famous pair of sisters from Seattle? They rocked Heart's "Crazy On You." You can't really improve on the original, but they did a great job with it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Never been to a live concert..... I've said in the past the only performer I'd care to go see would be James Taylor. Lo and Behold... he's coming to town in May.... along with Bonnie Raitt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom