OT - Live Concerts, your favorite? | The Boneyard

OT - Live Concerts, your favorite?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was going as for just ONE... but they'll never fly on the Boneyard so give me your top 5

5. Rick James (Hartford Civic Center)
4. Jay-Z (HOT Jam, Hartford Civic Center
3. Michael Jackson (BAD Tour, Hartford Civic Center)
2. Run-DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J (Fresh Fest, Springfield Civic Center)
#1 MC Hammer with Vanilla Ice opening... it was so much energy on that stage (Hartford Civic Center)

Reaction Score
Rammstein MSG a couple years ago
The Who Quadrophenia MSG
Bowie Glass Spider Meadowlands
Rush Radio City
Yes and J. Giels Colt Park
Linkin Park, Korn and Snoop Meadows

Reaction Score
1. Gladys Knight & The Pips(throughout their career)
1a. While home on leave in June 1974, I went to the Apollo Theater and saw The Voices of East Harlem, The Persuasions(highly underrated acapella group), comedian George Wallace, and Gladys Knight & The Pips on the same bill for a grand total of $5 per ticket for great seats. Talk about entertainment value.
2. The Jackson Five/Jacksons(1970-81) anywhere and everywhere from New York to LA including Lake Tahoe. I attended the Victory Tour in Denver in 1984; A huge disappointment.
3. Earth Wind & Fire(1977-78) Madison Square Garden and The Nassau Coliseum
4. Stephanie Mills at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 1980. She opened for Teddy Pendergrass and stole the show. Teddy never got the audience back that night.
5. In July 1972 the Rolling Stones were at Madison Square Garden(Stevie Wonder was the opening act; Imagine that). Tickets were sold in packages of four at $6.50 per ticket by lottery for which one had to submit a postcard(I do not remember if postcard submissions were limited). My postcard was one of the fortunate selections, so the train was taken into the city on a Sunday to pick up my tickets. A soon as I exited the line with my $26.00 purchase, there were hordes of people begging to purchase my tickets. I sold three of them right there for $20 a piece with every intention of attending the concert. The evening of the concert, I , again, took the train into the city and soaked in all the pre concert excitement that permeated the perimeter of the The Garden. It was electric. And there in the crowd was a stunningly attractive woman in bell bottom jeans and a tie dyed shirt holding a cardboard sign offering $25 for 1 ticket. Ignoring the attractiveness of the woman was much easier than walking away from a $18.75 profit, so I was on the next train home certain that I would one day catch The Stones in concert. It never happened. And it was not as if they broke up and quit touring. What did happen was that the ticket prices escalated past my discretionary income. I did, however, eventually see Stevie Wonder at Radio City in 1987(1988 maybe).
6. BB King at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos CA in 1974. King opened for The Spinners, but it was King singing the blues and playing Lucille that won the night for me. There was a saxophonist in King's band that had been with him over 20 years.
7. Richard Pryor, New Year's Eve 1978, the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Patti LaBelle was the opening act. Pryor was never funnier. it was the concert that would eventually be released as Wanted: Live in Concert.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of all the Dylan concerts, this one in CT was actually the best. Sorry for how terrible this sounds (and I gave away my own bootleg version!).

Reaction Score
1. Springsteen
2. Springsteen
3. Springsteen
4. Springsteen
500. Springsteen
(I have seen everyone of any consequence and, in my opinion, there is no comparison to a Bruce show.)

My school even has a pretty impressive Bruce Springsteen club for middle school students - check it out:
Jukebox Graduates

However top 5 non Bruce.
1. U2
2. Stones
3. Railroad Earth (a really great Jam Band)
4. Yes (loved Jon Anderson era)
5. Early Queen
5. Early Van Halen

Note: I have seen some interesting shows such as Live Aide and Pink Floyd's The (original) Wall concerts but I was listing overall performer, not specific shows.

Reaction Score
All DMV related. (mostly Maryland)

1. Earth, Wind and Fire at the Capital Center
2. Parliament Funkadelic and Cole Field House. Landing of the Mothership with Bootsy Collins and Mothers Finest.
3. Isley Brothers at the Capital Center
4. Eddie Murphy - Delirious at Constitution Hall in DC.

Reaction Score
1. Springsteen
2. Springsteen
3. Springsteen
4. Springsteen
500. Springsteen
(I have seen everyone of any consequence and, in my opinion, there is no comparison to a Bruce show.)

My school even has a pretty impressive Bruce Springsteen club for middle school students - check it out:
Jukebox Graduates

However top 5 non Bruce.
1. U2
2. Stones
3. Railroad Earth (a really great Jam Band)
4. Yes (loved Jon Anderson era)
5. Early Queen
5. Early Van Halen

Note: I have seen some interesting shows such as Live Aide and Pink Floyd's The (original) Wall concerts but I was listing overall performer, not specific shows.

How could I forget? Add Pink Floyd Yankee Stadium

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably Rolling Stones at JFK Stadium in Philly ('81).

This is the same tour, in Giants Stadium

The energy level was even better in Philly, which was the opening show.

[We saw them in Hartford a month or later. We were like 10 rows off the stage and knew the set list from the Philly show so we'd scream out "hey Mick play Shattered" right before it was due to come up. The girls behind us were convinced that he was listening to us.]

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Too numerous to mention. But in no particular order.

1) I too was at the Rolling Stones concert at MSG in July 1972 that VAUConnFan attended. There were a couple of shows. At mine the opening act was BB King followed by Ike and Tina Turner followed by Stevie.

2) Woodstock. Saturday and part of Sunday. I left before Jimi.

3) Randall's Island, July 17, 1970. If you thought Woodstock was a disaster.

4) Sly and the Family Stone, July 16, 1969 at the Apollo. The date of the first moon landing.

5) I saw a lot of these shows but this one stood out because of Dusty and The Supremes: Murray the K, the Brooklyn Fox Theater, September 9, 1964 - Marvin Gaye, Miracles (with Smokey of course), Martha & Vandellas, Supremes (the first time they had played NY), Contours, Temptations -- Also: Searchers, Dusty Springfield, Millie Small, Jay & Americans, Dovells, Little Anthony & Imperials, Shangri-Las, Ronettes.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Willie Nelson, Mississippi Nights, STL

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You dog!

He's the one guy I wished I could have seen more than any other departed rocker. 4th row? wow
You then are going to hate me even more. Even though I missed him at Woodstock I also saw him at MSG with Delaney and Bonnie, Catfish and the All Night Newsboys (?), and Free (All Right Now). I saw him at Randall's Island and at the Winter Festival For Peace at MSG with Harry Belafonte, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Dave Brubeck, Judy Collins, The Young Rascals and some others time has stolen from my mind. I think the Four Seasons may have been there, but maybe not. I missed him at The Fillmore with Sly Stone because I didn't have the money (darn).

Reaction Score
Many.................but best NRPS in my backyard, lets just say they owed me one , my backyard 220 acre farm in NJ , it was so loud , people showed up from all over, what a night , what a clean up!!!!

Reaction Score
Grateful Dead, summer of '76, Boston Music Hall, front row center. Jerry was standing right in front of me. " Wave that flag......!"

Reaction Score
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over.
David Bromberg - Capitol Theater Passaic NJ 1977, with guest Phobe Snow in a rare public appearance at 46:40 in video.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I was going as for just ONE... but they'll never fly on the Boneyard so give me your top 5

5. Rick James (Hartford Civic Center)
4. Jay-Z (HOT Jam, Hartford Civic Center
3. Michael Jackson (BAD Tour, Hartford Civic Center)
2. Run-DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J (Fresh Fest, Springfield Civic Center)
#1 MC Hammer with Vanilla Ice opening... it was so much energy on that stage (Hartford Civic Center)

5-Sly & The Family Stone (Roosevelt Raceway)
4-Blondie (CBGBs)
3-The Beatles (various)
2-The Who (various)
1-The Rolling Stones (various)

Yes, I'm dating myself.

Reaction Score
I attended Adelphi Univ., on Long Island, in the late 60's. and was a member of the student government concert committee. We would put on a paid concert in the beginning of the school year to fund free concerts on campus.

The most memorable was in 1968, we rented the Westbury Music Fair and hired the original Supremes, with Gladys Knight and the Pips as the warm-up. We paid them about $10,000. , plus the hall and made a profit of about 10K. I had a front row seat to amazing.

Among the acts for the free on-campus shows was a very young Richard Pryor. He was incredible- especially his rendition of a baby's reaction to coming out of the womb. He cost us $500.

The major free concert was Simon and Garfunkel, which I missed because it was a Saturday afternoon concert, and I over-slept. My roommate (a great guy who went on to a career at The Travelers) and I were known for rushing across campus to get to the dining hall before it closed for lunch.)

So, I guess that was the best concert I didn't see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom