OT - Live Concerts, your favorite? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Live Concerts, your favorite?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Reading back through these, I remembered 2 more- Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops- playing the 1812 Overture at Tanglewood with cannons and fireworks- WOW and perhaps my favorite- Jay Black- 20 years ago at Foxwoods- grey hair, paunch, Brooklyn accent, and then he sang- what a voice!

I saw the Pops do the 1812 Overture at Tanglewood, too -- 4th of July, probably early-mid 70's. Was that an annual concert?

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I was going as for just ONE... but they'll never fly on the Boneyard so give me your top 5

5. Rick James (Hartford Civic Center)
4. Jay-Z (HOT Jam, Hartford Civic Center
3. Michael Jackson (BAD Tour, Hartford Civic Center)
2. Run-DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J (Fresh Fest, Springfield Civic Center)
#1 MC Hammer with Vanilla Ice opening... it was so much energy on that stage (Hartford Civic Center)

5. Tom Petty with the Del Fuegos and Georgia Satellites (Traveling Rock-N-Roll Caravan tour) (Hartford Civic Center)
4. Dire Straits (Brother in Arms tour) (Hartford Civic Center)
3. Deep Purple (Perfect Strangers tour)(Hartford Civic Center)
2. Roger Waters (Pro and Cons of Hitchhiking tour)(Hartford Civic Center)
1. Roger Waters (Radio Kaos tour)(Hartford Civic Center)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Solti's response upon taking over the Chicago. "The moment I heard them first play I said to myself 'Goodness, this is a world class orchestra. Who knew?' ". I think both Szell and Reiner had that iron fisted approach to their orchestra's and expected nothing less than perfection. As an audiophile I fell in love with Reiner early especially his interpretation of the German repertoire. Some have said Reiner was a little too sweet with the strings. As I've gotten older however I've learned to appreciate how Szell does so much well, the German as well as this and last centuries Russian repertoire. Was Reiner demonstrative or reserved with the baton?

Especially at the end, but indeed throughout his career, Reiner's beat was so tiny as to be the but of jokes and anecdotes, the most famous being that of a Double Bass player in Pittsburgh, setting up a telescope in the section so that he could better fathom the Maestros intentions.

It was once said that if 'Reiner ever raised his hands above his head, the Chicago roof would come down.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That definitely counts in my book. I've been to the symphony a few times over the years, always a great experience. One that really stood out was Beethoven's 9th, they really raised the roof during the Ode to Joy finale! Vivaldi's Four Seasons was great too, probably my favorite piece of classical music.
he "played" in those concerts... he's a professional symphony guy.

Im just talking about a concert you bought a ticket for, grabbed some popcorn, sat in a assigned seat based off the ticket and watched others perform... geesh

there's a concert in my bathroom every time the shower is running but I didnt list that lol

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reading back through these, I remembered 2 more- Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops- playing the 1812 Overture at Tanglewood with cannons and fireworks-

I saw the Pops do the 1812 Overture at Tanglewood, too -- 4th of July, probably early-mid 70's. Was that an annual concert?
My HS band did the 1812 Overture one year. We didn't have cannons though (go figure). We were in the auditorium and we used shotguns (blanks) fired into the old metal trash cans (the kind you used to be able to burn stuff in). Made quite the impression. Knocked a lot of dust and stuff out of the rafters. :D

Reaction Score
I have tickets for 2 shows for sale if anyone is interested just pm me. I have 2 good seats in the pavilion at the xfinity center for Tom Petty and Joe Walsh, i also have 2 great seats for Chicago at the oakdale in Wallingford.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Never went to too many concerts growing up. I try to get to a lot of stuff now, but not big time acts. Only small venue, little known acts. Probably the coolest was at a small bar up in Northampton MA (actually Florence). Small being about 20 patrons in the bar. I sat at a table about 10 feet from the "stage". The Floorwalkers (from Ohio), The Delta Saints (from TN) and some local band who seemed like this was where they usually played. Kinda felt sorry for the local band who were supposed to headline the show. But after the first two bands it was pretty anti-climatic. They were almost embarrassed to be coming on after the other two.

But it was neat. Got to sit there listen to the music and talk and have a drink with the band members. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Especially at the end, but indeed throughout his career, Reiner's beat was so tiny as to be the but of jokes and anecdotes, the most famous being that of a Double Bass player in Pittsburgh, setting up a telescope in the section so that he could better fathom the Maestros intentions.

It was once said that if 'Reiner ever raised his hands above his head, the Chicago roof would come down.
I understand Toscanni was the same, minimal in his beat. Yet I also understand that during rehearsal the maestro was wildly demonstrative. Perhaps Reiner was the same.

Did you ever have the chance to see any of my favorite string players: Rabin, Oistrakh, Heifetz--Starker, Rostropovich or Casals?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've seen many big names but the best symphony concert I ever saw was the Pittsburgh Symphony at the Bushnell with Mariss Jansons conducting. They played Beethoven's Eight, Mendelssohn's "Italian" and The Firebird. But it was more than just what they played. I never saw a conductor and orchestra more in sync. It actually reminded me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon the way they sped up or slowed down and increased or decreased the volume on a dime. It was exciting.

Reaction Score
Yeah- the Pops came to Tanglewood every August back then- still may- we picniced on the lawn, then went into the shed for the concert- great family event!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
1. Miles Davis @ the North Sea Jazz Festival
2. Dave Brubeck @ the Playboy Jazz Festival
3. "The Summit" Manhattan Transfer & Take 6 @ Playhouse Square
4. Chick Corea @ The Tri-C Jazzfest
5.Chic @ The Front Row Theater

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sorry, bumping an old (non-basketball related) thread. Might have a favorite concert now after last night. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Moore Theater in Seattle. Absolutely fantastic. Some people probably don't believe you can rock with acoustic instruments, but those two can, especially David. And Gillian's voice is one of a kind. Almost 2 1/2 hours of music, three encores, just a great night.

Reaction Score
Sorry, bumping an old (non-basketball related) thread. Might have a favorite concert now after last night. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Moore Theater in Seattle. Absolutely fantastic. Some people probably don't believe you can rock with acoustic instruments, but those two can, especially David. And Gillian's voice is one of a kind. Almost 2 1/2 hours of music, three encores, just a great night.

Reminds me of the Midnight Oil's show at Park West, must have been early nineties that went on for about four hours. They did some covers and as I remember it took a few requests.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I dunno man. Like I know I went to concerts, darkness and blinding lights occasionally seen through a haze of really fine weed and like there were all sorts of people on stage and some of them sung stuff, but I can't remember any.

Garth Brooks in Ireland of all places
PP& M at Cornell U and at Westchester County Center - where they opined to me back stage they would not be back to Cornell, they didn't think, as long as ROTC existed there was
mostly country/folk artists - rock hurt my ears after 20 minutes. Chicago sent me to the mens room where I wadded up toilet paper and stuck it in my ears and hung on 'til my date had had enough.

Most unique concert: Otis Day and The Knights. My frat at Cornell hosted a 3 house party with them playing on our tennis court. No togas, but we were smashed and had a heck of a good time with Shout, among others.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rolling Stones, JFK Stadium, Philly. We had great seats, the weather was good and the Stones killed it.

Edit: If we are going with 5:

Stones JFK Stadium Philly, 1982
Stones HCC, Hartford 1982
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers Toads Place 1981
Grateful Dead, New Haven Coliseum 1978
Wendy O. Williams & the Plasmatics, Agora Ballroom 1982/83?

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
1. Joe Bonamassa
2. Luther Allison

Whatever is in third place is a distant third.
3. Moody Blues
4. Mannheim Steamroller
5. Virgil Fox

Reaction Score
Springsteen with and without the E Street band. 3 hr shows are the norm.

Staying with the New Jersey theme, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes . A fantastic bar/ small venue band.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I understand Toscanni was the same, minimal in his beat. Yet I also understand that during rehearsal the maestro was wildly demonstrative. Perhaps Reiner was the same.

Did you ever have the chance to see any of my favorite string players: Rabin, Oistrakh, Heifetz--Starker, Rostropovich or Casals?

Heifetz...yes as a kid...I suppose I saw all of them
Michael Rabin committed suicide when he realized (for all his technical ability) that he wasn't taken seriously as an artist

Casals was one of my idylls for his unbelievable artistry...
There's a performance of the Brahms B major trio with Myra Hess (another of my favs) and a young Issac Stern (the weakest of the 3) which is unforgettable.

Reaction Score
1. Paul McCartney Carrier Dome Syracuse, NY Sept 2017
2. Crosby Stills & Nash @New York State Fair with the Hale-Bopp Comet(Sept 1997?) overhead
3. The Eagles @Verizon Center Washington DC summer 2008
4. Simon & Garfunkle reunion tour Gund Arena Cleveland , OH 2003
5. Beatles @ Cow Palace San Francisco 1964

Reaction Score
Crosby Stills and Nash because of the outdoor setting . We sat in the grandstand and could see the sitting
1. Paul McCartney Carrier Dome Syracuse, NY Sept 2017
2. Crosby Stills & Nash @New York State Fair with the Hale-Bopp Comet(Sept 1997?) overhead
3. The Eagles @Verizon Center Washington DC summer 2008
4. Simon & Garfunkle reunion tour Gund Arena Cleveland , OH 2003
5. Beatles @ Cow Palace San Francisco 1964

Crosby, Stills and Nash was my favorite . We sat in the grandstand and could see Hale-Bopp slowly move through the sky while CSN were playing their heavenly music .

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Springsteen with and without the E Street band. 3 hr shows are the norm.

Staying with the New Jersey theme, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes . A fantastic bar/ small venue band.
Never saw Springsteen, like his music.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes was the main act in an all day concert that Rutgers held in the '70's, some sort of college day (while I was a student). The only other performer from the day that I remember was Ronnie Specter. I primarily went to hear Southside and gang. Enjoyed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom